Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
UPDATE:

OS RESET:
I Reset my Windows 10 OS back to zero because I enjoy doing this every few months :)
I then (as always) removed all of the "useless" (to me) M$ stuff and trimmed my system as much as I could..
...I then reinstalled all of my software but with a few exceptions and additions-

REMOVED:
Shadow Defender.. I did not want to lose this,but as my edition of SD was part of an MT Unlimited Giveaway with a limited activation period I was unable to reactivate it...I will wait for the next SD Giveaway and reinstall.

REINSTALLED WITH CHANGES:
Avast Antivirus... But this time I only installed the File System Shield and Home Network Security Components.I have already noticed an improved browsing speed by not having the "Web Shield" ,and considering my extensive config ,and the fact that I always browse with Sandboxie, I do not consider the Web Shield necessary.

ADDED:
Simple DNSCrypt SimpleDNSCrypt.org
...and Replaced Open DNS with Adguard DNS.

I am experimenting with 6 additional uBlock Origin Custom Filters..These are:
MOxFIVE Personal Blocklist Click Here to go to list
Btgregory: uBlock Supplementary Blocklist Click Here to go to list
AndlsH Blocklist Click Here to go to list
Genediazjr Nopelist Click Here to go to list
Jake Cryptic: Hide my Footprint Trackers List Click Here to go to list
Toshiya44: "Almost Stable" Filters Click Here to go to list

...I enjoy experimenting with uBlock origin Custom Filters :)
..As usual I have added the above filters to the "Spoiler" on my Original Config post.There are now 57 links there to Custom Filters,and roughly half of these filters are not listed on Filterlists.com.

UPDATED:
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free from 1.09.1.1232 to 1.09.1.1235 Malwarebytes.com/Anti Exploit

EDIT:
I have updated the "Microsoft Services (and others) killed with ZoneAlarm" Spoiler on my original config post.It includes new blocks that I have added today after the OS reset.

Great service to the community the spoilers with your settings, very complete and exhaustive, personally I use your VS Pro settings! Thanks @Logethica for this great work!! ;)
Thank you very much @LabZero .:) Very kind of you to say that.I am glad that the Information that I posted has been useful.
How is your browsing speed with all those filters enabled? Thanks for sharing your config mate :)
Thanks @Trickster :) ...Surprisingly my browser speed is very fast.I expected it to be much slower with so many extra filters.I must admit that when I first started adding more and more filters it was partly to find "the limit" in terms of that "tipping point" when the browser started to slow or become unresponsive.A lot depends on the size of the content of the filters in my experience (as well as poorly constructed filters or conflicting instructions).. I found that,for example,having 20 "large" filters has more of a negative impact than having 60 filters if only a few of them are over 25,000...
My current Filters combined amount to 820,760 network filters + 105,924 cosmetic filters...and everything works great.:)
..Since the OS reset,the removal of Avast's Web Shield,and the addition of Simple DNSCrypt/Adguard DNS I have found the browser speed to be even faster than before.I do not time these things generally unless I am experiencing issues,but each new page loads in approx 1 to 1.5 seconds.:)

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Logethica How are you finding Adguard DNS in terms of adblocking, browsing speed etc. Nice set up by the way.
Thanks @ZeroDay :)
My Browsing speed has improved,..but it is difficult for me to pinpoint a solitary reason.
I made several changes within 24 hours that could have contributed to the improvement in speed..
I Reset my OS then Stripped back unneeded services & Files then Reinstalled Avast AV,but minus the Web Shield component then swapped OpenDNS for running Adguard DNS through Simple DNSCrypt then Optimised the placement of the files on my HDD..... so I cannot say with any accuracy whether the speed increase was down to Adguard DNS.:oops:

It is just as tricky for me to assess the Adblocking of Adguard DNS at this point too..
My Browser has uBlock origin with over 800,000 filters and I have not seen an ad for a long,long time..
I have one "desktop" ad that pops up from the taskbar when I use Auslogics Disk Defrag Free.This ad was there both before and after I started using Adguard DNS.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
MINOR UPDATE:

UPDATED:

O&O ShutUp10 to Version 1.4.1384, (Released on: November 1, 2016) Available from- O&O ShutUp10 -Update

Changelog:
Version 1.4.1384
  • New category “Lock Screen”
    – Advertisements on the lock screen can be deactivated
    – Windows Spotlight can be deactivated
    – Do not display the last user on the lock screen
    – Hide identification of the logged-in user on the lock screen
  • Further enhancements for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update
  • Creating system restore points revamped
  • False file name in French version corrected
  • Small bug fixes

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
MINOR UPDATE:

UPDATED:

O&O ShutUp10 to Version 1.4.1384, (Released on: November 1, 2016) Available from- O&O ShutUp10 -Update

Changelog:
Version 1.4.1384
  • New category “Lock Screen”
    – Advertisements on the lock screen can be deactivated
    – Windows Spotlight can be deactivated
    – Do not display the last user on the lock screen
    – Hide identification of the logged-in user on the lock screen
  • Further enhancements for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update
  • Creating system restore points revamped
  • False file name in French version corrected
  • Small bug fixes
O&O ShutUp10 is quite a handy tool to have, i updated mine yesterday. :)

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
UPDATE:
REMOVED:
Simple DNSCrypt: I Installed SimpleDNSCrypt a couple of days ago,and selected Adguard DNS..
Between then and this morning I had constant problems with losing internet connection.
I have glasswire installed,and I was getting pop-ups from it sometimes 5 or more times per hour telling me that Internet connection had been lost (sometimes for a few minutes,sometimes for only a few seconds)..
I uninstalled SimpleDNSCrypt early this morning and tried just the Adguard DNS on its own,and all has been fine.
This has put me off using SimpleDNSCrypt again.

WOT Browser Extension :rolleyes:

UPDATED:
Sandboxie Free from 5.15.2 BETA to 5.15.3 BETA .Available from Forums.Sandboxie.com

UBLOCK ORIGIN CUSTOM FILTERS CHANGES:

Replaced Gwillem Compromised Stores (14th Oct 2016) -Click Here
with Byaka: ublock-antiskimming-list . This list is based on Gwillem's list,but is actively maintained and automatically updated.
The list can be found here -Click Here
...and Information/Details can be found here Github.com/byaka/ublock-antiskimming-list

Removed Jake Cryptic: Hide my Footprint Trackers List and Block all well known privacy trackers‎ -(gnuzilla) as neither of these lists are accessible through the links currently.

As Always ,the Changes to the above Custom Filters (Including any new links) are represented within the "uBlock Custom Filters" Spoiler on my Original Security Config Post.:)

ADDITIONAL:
I am checking out a Search Engine Called "Oscobo" -Go to Oscobo.co.uk
"Oscobo is the only UK based Privacy Search Engine that does not track or store the user’s data."
O is for "Oscobo"

Oscobo is a UK-based company founded by two guys who left their corporate jobs to work towards a belief they both shared – that personal data should remain just that, personal.

Disillusioned with the corporate world and that the private individual is paying for what seems to be “free” internet content, they felt it was time to turn the tables the other way round.

Oscobo is the only UK based Privacy Search Engine that does not track or store the user’s data.

In fact we do not store ANY data on our users:

Not when they use our site.
Not when they leave.
Not when they type words in.
Not when they type come back.

So where does the name Oscobo come from?

Like all the best companies, we’ve taken some creative license with the name. “Scobo” in Latin means “to look into”, “to probe” or “to discover”. The letter “O” in Swedish, means “not” or “non”. So, Oscobo, to us, means “not to probe, not to track”.

You don’t profile me or track me across the web like others – are you the good guys?

Well, we like to think so. Your experience with us is simple. We provide you with pure search results based solely on the words you type in and not who you are.

None of your data is stored or shared, unless you choose to click on a sponsored link. In which case only your IP address and search words are shared. Once you leave the Oscobo site we don’t keep any records and when you return we don’t know who you are.

So why use Oscobo? I have nothing to hide.

Most of us have nothing to hide. However, we don’t always feel comfortable with our personal search history being packaged up and sold to the highest bidder. At the end of the day it can include information such as medical history and financial status.

Any data that is held on a server can be hacked or misused. At Oscobo we believe that this is not acceptable.

It's pretty simple really. We’re on your side. We will not store or mess around with your personal data.

Please enjoy our service. Feel free to contact us directly at info@oscobo.com with any feedback or comments you have on the site. And do tell your friends you want to protect!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.