LoneGeek810's Security

LoneGeek810

Thread author
Jul 25, 2012
Other info/apps:
Windows Update: Turned on but lets me choose what updates I want to install.
Sandbox: Sandboxie Free
Virtualization/Rollback: VMware WS
DNS Server: Comodo DNS
Host File Hardening/Optimizing: MVPS Hosts
VPN: SecurityKiss
Cleaner: CCleaner
Uninstaller: Iobit

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
RE: My Security 7-26-12

You can add Malwarebytes and Emsisoft Antimalware to your on demand scanners.

I recommend you upgrade to windows 7. Windows XP will drop out of updates in 1 1/2 year windows 8 is coming out in October so you can wait until then.

For ice dragon you could get Adblock.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Welcome LoneGeek,

Looks like you got everything covered. How is PC Tools Firewall Plus, it's not being developed last I heard?

Would you be willing to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8 when the time is right (best suited to you)?

P

Plexx

It is unusual to see users with PCTools Firewall.

Do you have any backup solution?

You could also add Emsisoft Emergency Kit as an on-demand scanner, along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware recommended by Malware Maniac.

Other than that, solid setup.

D

Deleted member 178

yes EEK is more suitable than EAM (EAM is needed only for the full (paid) version

LoneGeek810

Thread author
Jul 25, 2012

Earth said:
Welcome LoneGeek,

Looks like you got everything covered. How is PC Tools Firewall Plus, it's not being developed last I heard?

Would you be willing to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8 when the time is right (best suited to you)?

I do believe they have started developing it again I can't remember where I read it though.

I'm happy with XP but will upgrade eventually

Biozfear said:
It is unusual to see users with PCTools Firewall.

Do you have any backup solution?

You could also add Emsisoft Emergency Kit as an on-demand scanner, along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware recommended by Malware Maniac.

Other than that, solid setup.

Why's that? It's a great firewall and has never failed me.

I use mbam and eek once in awhile but my favorite tool is hitman pro, I just wish they would make a free version :(

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012

LoneGeek810 said:
I use mbam and eek once in awhile but my favorite tool is hitman pro, I just wish they would make a free version :(

Well don't expect a free version. A program with five engines and most of them paid, the antivirus companies want some money for their definitions.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: My Security

Have you got any backup solutions?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: My Security

I think reading the first post should help McLovin. :p

Btw, I noticed you switched to Windows 7 SP1. :D

LoneGeek810

Thread author
Jul 25, 2012
Hello,
I won a Bitdefender license so I have added that to my config.
Is this good by itself or should I add 0-day security such as mamutu?

Avast and Sysrestore have been removed

S

starchild76

Bitedefender should be more than sufficient for you , its the best rated product out there , so no need for extra programs wich slow down your pc , remember : less is more =)

LoneGeek810

Thread author
Jul 25, 2012
Updated my config...looking for an AV what should I get? I was really wanting NOD32 but promo isn't working anymore :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.