Looking for a HIPS. Any suggestions?

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
Well, 360TS has behaviour blocker. And yes, it free. I have it now and enjoying.
hi
but i have to unstall eset smart security
i would like to try , to see how fast and the impact on the system
i have tried avira(slower then eset) and avast (slower then avira )
thanks

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
i would like to try , to see how fast and the impact on the system

Seems good to me normally about 200 MB memory and fairly quick.

You may like the free sandbox. Works well with Firefox and MS Office 2007 applications. As shmu26 well pointed, best HIPS for a free a-v based program.

Reactions: giulia

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
Seems good to me normally about 200 MB memory and fairly quick.

You may like the free sandbox. Works well with Firefox and MS Office 2007 applications. As shmu26 well pointed, best HIPS for a free a-v based program.
hi
yes ? compared to avira and avast is better? avira has a great malware detection score

Reactions: MWTHelper and AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
avira is great at malware detection, and terrible at zero-day protection.
360 is pretty good at malware detection, and great at zero-day protection.

Even though 360 has avira and/or bitdefender engines (you choose what you want to use), it receives the signature updates after a delay. So sigs are not as good as real avira or bitdefender.

Reactions: AtlBo and giulia

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
avira is great at malware detection, and terrible at zero-day protection.
360 is pretty good at malware detection, and great at zero-day protection.

Even though 360 has avira and/or bitdefender engines (you choose what you want to use), it receives the signature updates after a delay. So sigs are not as good as real avira or bitdefender.
eset should score like avira about malware detection ,yes?
may i know what the meaning of zero-day protection?
there is a video ,but it doesn't look so great to block malware

i tried to translate some webpage with google translation but i guess i have understood it
thanks

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
eset should score like avira about malware detection ,yes?
there is a video ,but it doesn't look so great to block malware

i tried to translate some webpage with google translation but i guess i have understood it
thanks

eset versus avira in malware detection? Some tests place Avira ahead. It's hard to know what's the truth, but many people believe that Avira and Bitdefender have great signature-based detection, better than others.

zero-day means that it is very new malware, and the AV companies probably did not add it to their lists yet. Thus it needs to be blocked on the basis of its behavior, not its signature. This is what 360 is good at, and Avira is bad at.

as for the video, I didn't watch it, but I know that 360 doesn't catch everything. There is no AV that does. In order to get nearly 100% protection, you need default/deny or isolation.
By isolation, I mean something like ReHIPS isolation.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
by the way, if you are willing to uninstall ESET, and you are willing to pay the price, then you might like Kaspersky Internet Security. It has excellent zero-day protection, excellent signatures, and also a kind of HIPS. Kaspersky has Application Control/Trusted Applications Mode, which is pretty powerful.

Reactions: giulia and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

zero day threats are the most dangerous, because there is no time to respond to the attack. It happens instantaneously when a file is opened as shmu26 mentioned and when the file is not known by the security provider. File detection rate of the a-v product helps with zero day, unless you are one of the first to be attacked. Then the infection may pass unnoticed. This is when HIPS is very helpful.

I link cruelsisters video of 360 TS, where you can see how it performs against files that produce zero day attacks. Most of the blocks are 360 HIPS type blocks:

Video Review - Qihoo Total Security- a Mechanistic Protection Test

and here Avira with HIPS and a-v detection set to high:

Video Review - Avira Internet Security vs Ransomware

Good HIPS are a quite powerful additional line of defense as the 360 video shows. Since 360 has good recognition/very good HIPS AND free sandbox, this is the choice I have made personally. I have avast on 2 computers that I use lightly. Haven't tested Avira.

Last edited:
Reactions: giulia

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
[QUOTE="shmu26, post: 575663, member: 37647"
zero-day means that it is very new malware, and the AV companies probably did not add it to their lists yet. Thus it needs to be blocked on the basis of its behavior, not its signature. This is what 360 is good at, and Avira is bad at.
[/QUOTE]
thanks!

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Consider trying Voodooshield free. You can use it paired with your antivirus. Honestly, it's fine even paired with Windows defender or with no AV considering it's an anti-executable connecting to VirusTotal. You can use in always on mode, if you want more control. Or in autopilot mode, with less prompts

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
zero-day means that it is very new malware
for the sake of correctness: the term "zero-day" properly refers to a vulnerability in operating system or software that was not publicly known until now, thus giving "zero" days to the developers to patch it.
I used the term very loosely, to refer to previously undetected malware samples.

Reactions: giulia and AtlBo

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i have noticed that eset in its hips added "potenzial ransomeware behavior"

does it somebody test it?

vSglGEC.png

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.