Looking for a light security solution for a low end netbook

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my view besides on the suggestion for Webroot which is also light and good performance, another alternative suggestion can be Panda Free AV which another straightforward product that enhance equally the cloud and signatures + light footprint on majority of system cases.

NVT Exe Radar PRO and others are another good way as long its a proper maintained regularly to avoid any hiccups.

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
I would recommend try Malwarebytes Anti-malware premium along with anti-exploit and then downgrade to windows defender. Any sandbox software will do too.

I would recommend try Malwarebytes Anti-malware premium along with anti-exploit and then downgrade to windows defender. Any sandbox software will do too.

In addition to that config, prevention is better than cure, so if your daughter has no knowledge about PUPs, I would recommend installing Unchecky. It's also for free and small in size.

By the way, you could've buy her a chromebook instead. It's light,affordable and good for students. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
By the way, you could've buy her a chromebook instead. It's light,affordable and good for students. ;)
An option is to install Linux such as xubuntu or lubuntu. Create her an account but have root privileges on another account that way you maintain the system. My son who is 6 used the netbook for YouTube and videos. I just need to install the de now and he will be good to go. And the netbook only has 1gb ram

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Please stay on topic here as the OP is looking for a simple effective light security solution for a Netbook for his daughter.The OP doesn't need on advice on what he should have bought or done as he already has the netbook.

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
An option is to install Linux such as xubuntu or lubuntu. Create her an account but have root privileges on another account that way you maintain the system. My son who is 6 used the netbook for YouTube and videos. I just need to install the de now and he will be good to go. And the netbook only has 1gb ram

I assume her daughter does not have that much knowledge in computers, so a chromebook would do as linux requires more experience to operate.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I assume her daughter does not have that much knowledge in computers, so a chromebook would do as linux requires more experience to operate.
The OP is not looking to buy a new Netbook as his Daughter already has a New Netbook.We are going off topic that is all I am saying.
Once setup Linux is not difficult to use

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Installing software in Linux can be quite intrusive for a novice user.
Yes this is true but as @Inkurax pointed out once setup it is easy to use and definitely a light option in terms of system impact as well as security.Which is a viable option other than just going with a light AV option that requires minimal user interaction.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Basics of linux can be taught and is an option to a dual boot windows 10, if OP wants to go that way.
Maintenance is done by OP, not the user of netbook. Security wise, there wont be any breakage because unless you have admin password, not much you can do, while Linux has less chance of general infections.

As for windows 10, WD, avast, Panda Cloud, AVG and Avira are free options if OP chooses. not much can be recommended due to the netbook specs.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Just adding to the expert's opinions - A light av Panda/Webroot with a non-admin account, good backup and parental control should set it up nicely. With addons like WebFilter Pro - The web content filtering addon!(also in chrome) you can certainly create rules regarding safe online content(malware or otherwise), or DnsAngel and many more. Also, with Simple run blocker you can define which EXE files your child can execute while rest everything else is blocked.This means the user gets appropriate usability and you get to control the system/ review what has been downloaded and can be installed.

Last edited:

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Just adding to the expert's opinions - A light av Panda/Webroot with a non-admin account, good backup and parental control should set it up nicely. With addons like WebFilter Pro - The web content filtering addon!(also in chrome) you can certainly create rules regarding safe online content(malware or otherwise), or DnsAngel and many more. Also, with Simple run blocker you can define which EXE files your child can execute while rest everything else is blocked.This means the user gets appropriate usability and you get to control the system/ review what has been downloaded and can be installed.

Quick question, is Panda free av lighter than windows defender?

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Well, windows defender is built into windows and has its own cloud based scans and comes along with native smartscreen technology so comparing it with a third party software is unfair.Panda av is also cloud based and light on resources as attested by many.Also the user browsing habits can influence whether you want the Microsoft's baseline protection or a full fledged AV suite with other features.Windows 10 users can contribute more to your query since I am on win 7.

Last edited:

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for your replies. Actually i set a standard account, UAC, Windows Defender. When she needs to install some app, i have to put my password and uncheck toolbar and pups manually. Maybe unchecky could be a nice addition. In Chrome, installed Adguard Extension and set properly Chrome options about privacy and malware

Last edited:

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
I agree with the recommendation of implementing a Standard User Account, with a password-protected Admin account to stop unwanted software from being installed, and drastically reducing malware infections. Unchecky can also be an aid for the Admin account.
  • Standard User Account (Local or Microsoft Account)
  • Windows Defender + Smartscreen + UAC + Firewall
  • Unchecky
  • Google Chrome + LastPass + uBlock Origin
In Chrome, check these Settings.
View attachment 79873

Chrome uses Google's Safe Browsing technology to help prevent access to malicious downloads and phishing pages.

I have highlighted the Passwords/Forms, as you could alternatively use LastPass. If you decide to use Shared Folders (for Sites), you will need Premium (which isn't that expensive). Find out more: Sharing & Share Center | User Manual

Depending on the users' age, take a look at Setting up family features - Microsoft Help . Although I do not think it's necessary, if it's their own PC.

Edit: Re-phrasing and Grammar.

Great!! Basically is my actual setup. My daughter is 12 years old and she likes social apps, as Oovo or Skype

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.