Looking for a light security solution for a low end netbook

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I have the same experience with @Inkurax too. uBlock origin do break some of the webpages I surfed. Adguard so far I have never encountered any issue. In fact when it's turn off, you'll gonna see loads of ads coming up cluttering the pages. Tried that once, and suddenly felt I couldn't live without Adguard. :D

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
In fact when it's turn off, you'll gonna see loads of ads coming up cluttering the pages. Tried that once, and suddenly felt I couldn't live without Adguard. :D
I have been running uBlock Origin (and AdBlock Plus previously) for so long that I thought some pages actually didn't have ads. :D
I only realized they did have ads after I turned off my adblocker. :D

I

illumination

Some extra advice from another Father... There is no security that will protect your daughter from herself. If she is anything like mine, she will find a way. Your best bet is to make several froms of back up of that machine. Adding the adblocker as suggested by many of the members here is a plus as well..

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
I have the same experience with @Inkurax too. uBlock origin do break some of the webpages I surfed. Adguard so far I have never encountered any issue. In fact when it's turn off, you'll gonna see loads of ads coming up cluttering the pages. Tried that once, and suddenly felt I couldn't live without
I have the same experience with @Inkurax too. uBlock origin do break some of the webpages I surfed. Adguard so far I have never encountered any issue. In fact when it's turn off, you'll gonna see loads of ads coming up cluttering the pages. Tried that once, and suddenly felt I couldn't live without Adguard. :D

Well, some examples (try with Ublock Origin and Adguard extension, by default settings, only disable Acceptable Ads on Adguard)

- In Amazon.com, Help, Need more help?, Contact Us. With Ublock Origin i open normally the page, but with Adguard i can't open it when i click in Contact us. Only when i select with right button of the mouse on the link and "open link in a new window", it works.

- In www.groupon.es it's a similar case. When you click in some offer, i have no problem with Ublock, but with Adguard i can't open the new window.

In conclusion, i've found that Adguard has problems in some webpages with embedded links.

Now, your turn ;)

Last edited:

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Some extra advice from another Father... There is no security that will protect your daughter from herself. If she is anything like mine, she will find a way. Your best bet is to make several froms of back up of that machine. Adding the adblocker as suggested by many of the members here is a plus as well..

Any suggestions about forms of backup? I use Acronis True Image...

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Any suggestions about forms of backup? I use Acronis True Image...
About the backup types, I would recommend you have at least one full system image (like @illumination suggested).
I usually create full system backups like this:
1. Immediately after Windows installation and driver installation.
2. Immediately after Windows has finished installing all important updates.
3. Immediately after installing and configuring essential security software (and maybe some other important applications like web browsers or even 3D modeling/animation software or any such software, since that will save you the re-installation trouble)

Make sure you cleanup your system of junk files with Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner (or similar) before you do the backup, so thag you don't backup junk too. :D

IMPORTANT Make sure you do a test restore immediately after creating each image to make sure it works. If you do not, then you might be taken by surprise in the future if you try to restore your system from one of those system images, and you find out that for some reason they do not work.

As for individual files, I recommend you copy them somewhere safe (e.g. an external HDD or a cloud storage service like MEGA) and maybe encrypt them using a program like VeraCrypt.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.