Looking for a light security solution for a low end netbook

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Hello guys. Happy New Year everybody!! My daughter has a new netbook (HP Stream 13,3", Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM, 32GB Emmc disk, Windows 10 Home, 1TB Microsoft One Drive). Actually it comes with Windows Defender and i've installed Adguard extension on Chrome browser. I'm a bit concerned about she could download and execute malware or PUPs, so i'm looking for a good, light and reliable solution for this system. thanks

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Hello guys. Happy New Year everybody!! My daughter has a new netbook (HP Stream 13,3", Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM, 32GB Emmc disk, Windows 10 Home, 1TB Microsoft One Drive). Actually it comes with Windows Defender and i've installed Adguard extension on Chrome browser. I'm a bit concerned about she could download and execute malware or PUPs, so i'm looking for a good, light and reliable solution for this system. thanks
Instead of being administrator account, set up guest account. Turn UAC On and perhaps tweak, stick to either Windows Defender or if you must go avast! route.

Thats about it to be honest.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
If you don't mind non traditional style, I would prefer to go for NVT Exe Radar Pro (in lockdown) with MBAE. That should cover alot. It's very light weight. (tried on my sister's old laptop)

or traditionally, you could go with CIS if you want. Configure it such that there is no pop-up when running normally. Anything that pop-up alert just tell daughter to block it when's she's using it. ;)
(my mum is using this).

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If you don't mind non traditional style, I would prefer to go for NVT Exe Radar Pro (in lockdown) with MBAE. That should cover alot. It's very light weight. (tried on my sister's old laptop)

or traditionally, you could go with CIS if you want. Configure it such that there is no pop-up when running normally. Anything that pop-up alert just tell daughter to block it when's she's using it. ;)
(my mum is using this).
He previously said freeware, so NVT is out of the window.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
S

Sr. Normal

website still lists as trial/commercial

I installed it from an @Azure Phoenix post in NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro turns Freeware http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/EXERadar_Pro_x86_x64_v3.1_22042015_BUILD1.exe on my VM and it does not says anything about Trial version or Beta. Just asks for a donation.
I think effectively, it must be released, although the site does not provide this information

upload_2016-1-7_13-7-10.png

upload_2016-1-7_13-4-53.png

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I would recommend against running beta versions on a production system. The fact that website has no mention as of yet I would not advise the "free version" unless you are the one using the system and know if anything breaks you can fix it. Just my opinion but in the long run better be safe than sorry

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I recommend 360 total security (not Bitdefender and avira enabled). It's Free. You should install it, go into settings and enable PUPs detection. Also tick the "monitor all files" option. Take also a look at unchecky, a Free program that helps you to prevent PUPs installation

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm a bit concerned about she could download and execute malware or PUPs, so i'm looking for a good, light and reliable solution for this system. thanks
I agree with the recommendation of implementing a Standard User Account, with a password-protected Admin account to stop unwanted software from being installed, and drastically reducing malware infections. Unchecky can also be an aid for the Admin account.
  • Standard User Account (Local or Microsoft Account)
  • Windows Defender + Smartscreen + UAC + Firewall
  • Unchecky
  • Google Chrome + LastPass + uBlock Origin
In Chrome, check these Settings.
upload_2016-1-7_20-23-58.png

Chrome uses Google's Safe Browsing technology to help prevent access to malicious downloads and phishing pages.

I have highlighted the Passwords/Forms, as you could alternatively use LastPass. If you decide to use Shared Folders (for Sites), you will need Premium (which isn't that expensive). Find out more: Sharing & Share Center | User Manual

Depending on the users' age, take a look at Setting up family features - Microsoft Help . Although I do not think it's necessary, if it's their own PC.

Edit: Re-phrasing and Grammar.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.