Battle Looking for a minimal but controllable free antivirus

Compare list
Your recommendation
In-depth Comparison

lysn

Thread author
Aug 19, 2019
Hello,
I've been using Avast for a while but their new UI is terrible and I had some problems with them handling exceptions. Also telemetry.
I just tried Kaspersky but it wouldn't prompt me when it found a virus and just deletes it (like when I extract a file that contains virus). This is a big NO for me as I want to control what it does.

I have comodo firewall and use sandboxie when opening suspecious files so I don't need all the added features. Only,
- Basic file and web protection
- Configure to prompt me when it finds anything before it does anything
- Minimal performance impact

Some thoughts
Windows defender - performance impact seems bad. Not easy to navigate.
AVG - looks the same as Avast.
Avira - didn't liked it but that was a long time ago. Ads, and not easy to uninstall.
Comodo antivirus - not sure why but didn't like it.

Are there any other recommended free antivirus for me? If none, how is nod32?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
There no easier and more minimalistic free AV that I know than Windows Defender. There's nothing you need to do, basically, rather than configuring it with ConfigureDefender if you need. The GUI is easy to use and requires no manual intervention. Since 1903 it's light on resources and protects decently good.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Did you change the setting in Kaspersky so it was in interactive mode?

I'm using WD and the moment, I do like it but it does feel a bit heavier than third party AV's, not much but enough to notice. And, it always seems to keep my disks busy. I do like it though.

You could use Avira free and block any ad's through Comodo firewall. Just be careful when installing it and only install what you need. Avira free seems like it would fit your requirements well.

There's Q360 too.

On my one system I run Windows defender tweaked through Group Policy editor and Comodo Firewall tweaked. That setup is solid and one I like to use and recommend.

With Kaspersky there is an option to turn on interactive mode so you get prompted if I remember correctly.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Hello,
I've been using Avast for a while but their new UI is terrible and I had some problems with them handling exceptions. Also telemetry.
I just tried Kaspersky but it wouldn't prompt me when it found a virus and just deletes it (like when I extract a file that contains virus). This is a big NO for me as I want to control what it does.

I have comodo firewall and use sandboxie when opening suspecious files so I don't need all the added features. Only,
- Basic file and web protection

Some thoughts
Windows defender - performance impact seems bad. Not easy to navigate.
AVG - looks the same as Avast.
Avira - didn't liked it but that was a long time ago. Ads, and not easy to uninstall.
Comodo antivirus - not sure why but didn't like it.

Are there any other recommended free antivirus for me? If none, how is nod32?
nod 32 for payed 360TS essentials for free. 360 works perfect with COMODO firewall. Just block the promoutil and cefutil with the firewall to stop the ads.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks everyone.
I haven't tried Windows Defender on 1903 so I'll give it another try. I do like the minimalist feel of it.
I'll never heard of 360 so I'll check it out too.
this is 360TS :sneaky: :giggle:

lysn

Thread author
Aug 19, 2019
Windows defender seems fine but I couldn't make it to prompt for action.
Im staying away from 360 since its from China. No offence but I dont feel safe.
Any other suggestions? It can have multiple features as long as I can disable them.
I really want it to prompt for action, asking whether to clean, delete, add exception, ignore, etc. Also doesn't slow down my pc.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Windows defender seems fine but I couldn't make it to prompt for action.

It prompts for action but will take you to another screen to execute it when you click on the notification. Or do want to have options such as block, quarantine, etc. right in the notification itself? Is this what you're talking about? :unsure:

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
360 Total Security is one of the very few antiviruses, which you can configure to prompt you when a threat is found and let you choose what action you want to take including whitelisting the file. The antiviruses that others have suggested, do not let you do that.

Also, recent versions are extremely light.

The free version has ads, which are annoying. But you can buy legitimate licenses, very cheaply on eBay.

lysn

Thread author
Aug 19, 2019
It prompts for action but will take you to another screen to execute it when you click on the notification. Or do want to have options such as block, quarantine, etc. right in the notification itself? Is this what you're talking about? :unsure:

You saved me some hassle here. I had turned off windows notification completely. Turned it back on and Im getting the prompts now.
I'll try defender for a while and see how it goes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.