Battle Looking for (cruel) Comodo Firewall alternative

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Today I was locked out from internet, after Windows told me that my network cables were broken; I almost spent € 20,00 on new cables when I searchev on the web and found similar issues from other people running ComodoFirewall. I tried disabling the HIPS and the firewall whole, then I disabled and then uninstalled the network driver.

I think I'm now ready to move from the CruelComodo hype and find some alternative. My current situation has Emsisoft, OSA and SH. I'm missing the HIPs and Firewall componets if I'm right, what is a reliable alternative (paid or free) to the most decanted CruelComodo?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ZoneAlarm Free Firewall - UI isn't the best, AV tab is optional, ID protection is US only

Crank it up to max security if you need.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
ZoneAlarm Free Firewall
Wow I remember the name, it is quite old! I'll give it a try, never though it was still around after so many years. Main concern is how it will behave with Emsisoft and if it is similar to (cruel) ComodoFirewall as protection.

Reactions: AtlBo

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Wow I remember the name, it is quite old! I'll give it a try, never though it was still around after so many years. Main concern is how it will behave with Emsisoft and if it is similar to (cruel) ComodoFirewall as protection.
It may have been a fluke,but when I used Emsisoft with Zonealarm Pro Firewall,My computer blue screened twice, then I changed my set up,get a trial if this is your will to do so, as Zone alarm pro Firewall is not cheap and maybe a resource hog? Gl

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
AFAIK Zonealarm may be a good firewall, but it does not provide default-deny protection like CruelComodo. Please clarify if you are looking for pure firewall protection, or default-deny? If both, then use ZoneAlarm+Voodoo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
firewall, hips, sandbox. auto deny like VS could be a solution to all previous three if I read the forum right, correct?
VS gives you default-deny. The firewall of your choice gives you firewall. Nobody needs HIPS if they have default-deny.

But instead of hobbling together two or more security programs, I have another idea for you: ComodoFix. It is designed specifically to solve the problems you were experiencing: Discuss - ComodoFix - Set up COMODO for Trouble-free Protection!

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So a default-deny solution can replace also OSA, SY, H_C and any antivirus/malware software?
I think we have to get our definitions straight, first of all. Default-deny is basically the opposite of how a normal AV works. A normal AV only blocks bad stuff. This is default-allow, because everything is allowed unless it is known to be bad. Default-deny is the opposite: it only allows good stuff. Anything not known to be good is blocked.

OSA is unnecessary if you have default-deny solutions such as H_C, Voodooshield, or ComodoFix. But OSA could be useful in combo with a more basic default-deny solution such as AVAST Aggressive mode.

I don't know what SY stands for. If it is an abbreviation for Sandboxie, then the answer to your question is debatable. Do you need Sandboxie in addition to a default-deny solution? Let's leave that one on the side for the moment, it is complicated.

No matter what solution you are using, it is recommended to have AV, just as a person wearing pants is recommended to wear underpants as well.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sometimes I just like the freedom and DANGER of not wearing underwear! :emoji_flushed::emoji_flushed: It's an intoxicating feeling, especially for one who doesn't drink! :emoji_innocent:
Pardon my prudishness, but what if your zipper malfunctions, or you forget to close it properly...

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
I don't know what SY stands for
SysHardener, my bad.

No matter what solution you are using, it is recommended to have AV
I'm confused, if VS > anti-virus, in what case AV is > default-deny?

Sometimes I just like the freedom and DANGER of not wearing underwear!
You will get a lot of bacterial, however it has been proved that sleeping totally nacked helps in many different ways.

the first course of Calabresa Pizza.
of second: Calabresa Pizza.
I did this with carbonara and was amazing, and no you don't put garlic or parsley on carbonara, it is a crime.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm confused, if VS > anti-virus, in what case AV is > default-deny?
It's a good question!
In most cases, VS is stronger than antivirus. But... VS does not monitor certain areas of your system. For instance, Program Files. Let's say you have a program called CoolVirtualScubaDiving and the owners sell it to someone less scrupulous. You get an "update" that is full of adware. Your AV might catch it, but VS will not, because it is in Program Files.

Also, VS is very sensitive and it blocks many valid installer files and sometimes even system files. So there are times when you will rely on your judgment and allow a file to run even if VS recommended to block it. In other words, you bypassed VS protection. But if you were wrong, and VS was right, your AV might still protect you.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@shmu26 On VS paid you can disable "Automatically allow all software from the program files folders".
Stay safe not paranoid :D

Attachments

• Untitled - Copy.jpg
    Untitled - Copy.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.