Advice Request Looking for old hardware for my home network.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Hi all, I am looking for a firewall with intrusion detection (of the snort type) and many configurable security options. It's going to be a kind of test for a newbie like me, I'm going to use it apart from protecting my home network a little bit more also as a learning mode. I leave you the site where I can buy second hand. I would appreciate if you could help me to find the best network protection solution based on my budget for this experiment which is 7500 Argentinean pesos.
Thank you all very much in advance.
Best regards.

Edit:
I had seen this device but I don't know if the intrusion detection and prevention system will be functional and good.
Router Cisco Serie 881-k9 (con Licencia K9 Y Fuente) - $ 2.800 item&tracking_id=175416c8-ad43-4abb-ba41-8b95c85e0e85

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleo

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017

These are all I found, which one is the best?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Is there a product end-of-life cut-off you have in mind? ...a Cisco Pix 501 is well over 10 years old.
Will you use Snort3 with hyperscan? ...regex in snort2 is not efficient.
Virtualised pfSense/OPNSense? ...if not, do you already have that hardware?

Reactions: eonline

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Is there a product end-of-life cut-off you have in mind? ...a Cisco Pix 501 is well over 10 years old.
Will you use Snort3 with hyperscan? ...regex in snort2 is not efficient.
Virtualised pfSense/OPNSense? ...if not, do you already have that hardware?
No, I don't have anything, it's a learning project that was frustrated.
if you find a better alternative here is the site:Firewall | MercadoLibre 📦

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.