Advice Request Looking for replacement for Outpost Firewall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Agent 47

Thread author
May 30, 2021
What's the current most Outpost-like Firewall for Windows 10? (Windows 8.1 loses support in January of 2023 and Outpost won't work on current versions of Windows 10.) Should have HIPs too, but not anti-virus or anti-malware scanning, as I have other solutions for that. Also, I'm not convinced I will move to Windows 10 given its telemetry (and other reasons), so what about an Outpost-like Firewall on Linux?

I would prefer either open-source or non-US-based Firewalls, as presumably US companies are compelled to provide backdoors. Not interested in anything interfacing with Windows firewall. I want my OS and firewall from different vendors - layered security and all that.

I thought about Kaspersky Firewall, which still seems to exist. Does it approach Outpost in behavior, or will I be very disappointed? The most important Outpost feature to me is "learning mode" where you'll get a popup for behavior that's yet unknown, allowing you to permanently approve or disapprove, creating a rule.

Finally, why hasn't Outpost's source code been GPL'd and put on Github so devoted fans can maintain it? I know they were bought by someone but apparently their product was thrown away. Was that the point of the purchase, to kill off the product?

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Since you are already migrating to windows why not use the built-in windows firewall with the help from Binisoft windows firewall control application. You can also use hard configurator to tighten up the windows firewall & defender too. If you are brave enough to use an alpha stage software you can also try Portmaster firewall. But as venustus said comodo (with Cs settings) would be a great choice for ultimate security.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
What's the current most Outpost-like Firewall for Windows 10?
If we talk about Windows, I would suggest you try the firewall from Symantec Endpoint Protection, it is very powerful and reliable, the firewall module can be installed separately without an antivirus, and the use it is free, although it is unofficial. The only problem for you is that like Comodo, Broadcom (owners of Symantec) is an USA company.

You can also try Simplewall , which is a simple solution based on the Windows filtering platform that has telemetry blocking and supports the creation of various rules. The application code is open, and there are many good reviews about it.

The Portmaster mentioned above is also very good, although I have a few questions about its work, which I will write about in the corresponding topic later, but in general it is already possible to use it, they also have a version for Linux, but I can't say anything about working in Linux.

Finally, why hasn't Outpost's source code been GPL'd and put on Github so devoted fans can maintain it?
Outpost was acquired by Yandex, a company specializing in advertising and marketing, so you can't expect any charity here. In addition, no one knows, perhaps the code has some patent violations. Unfortunately, this is the same story as with Opera Presto, its code was also asked to be made open, but this never happened, although it could have had a very good effect on the Internet as a whole.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
There is absolutely no sense in avoiding usa made products if you are using windows 10. By using windows 10 you are already transferring some telemetry to usa based company called microsoft. IMHO no other company would collect more telemetry than microsoft had already collected from you. So it's pointless to avoid a us based company just to avoid telemetry to them.

Agent 47

Thread author
May 30, 2021
Some of the responses above are ignoring that I asked for a non-US solution, and one that doesn't rely on Windows firewall. Commodo, ZoneAlarm, ... those are all US-based companies. That would be fine if they were open source, but they aren't.
There is absolutely no sense in avoiding usa made products if you are using windows 10. By using windows 10 you are already transferring some telemetry to usa based company called microsoft. IMHO no other company would collect more telemetry than microsoft had already collected from you. So it's pointless to avoid a us based company just to avoid telemetry to them.
I can block Windows telemetry with various approaches including paid solutions. The danger from US-made firewalls isn't just telemetry, but potential backdoors to allow access into your system. If you're suggesting that Windows itself has backdoors, then that's exactly why I want a non-US firewall from a company other than Microsoft. So that such access can be detected and blocked. I already block most Windows services with my current firewall.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I didn't understand that ZoneAlarm was from the United States. I apologize for that.
It seems that you are looking for a firewall, but if you also tell us the configuration of the security software etc. used in the main, I think that a more helpful message will be delivered.
Why not consider introducing Kaspersky or eset with a built-in firewall?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Try this crowd-sourced website to find a replacement:

Unless you can find a solution, most software will either be FOSS/WFP, or Proprietary/American. Either way you should Avoid Windows all together, below are some Linux recommendations for anonymity connecting over Tor. Linux will be your saviour.

I have no knowledge about Firewalls for Linux. Have a look here: Security for macOS and Linux
What's the current most Outpost-like Firewall for Windows 10?

Also, I'm not convinced I will move to Windows 10 given its telemetry (and other reasons), so what about an Outpost-like Firewall on Linux?

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Some of the responses above are ignoring that I asked for a non-US solution, and one that doesn't rely on Windows firewall. Commodo, ZoneAlarm, ... those are all US-based companies. That would be fine if they were open source, but they aren't.

I can block Windows telemetry with various approaches including paid solutions. The danger from US-made firewalls isn't just telemetry, but potential backdoors to allow access into your system. If you're suggesting that Windows itself has backdoors, then that's exactly why I want a non-US firewall from a company other than Microsoft. So that such access can be detected and blocked. I already block most Windows services with my current firewall.
What you are looking for is non existent product, there is nothing much to choose when it comes to firewall and there is absolutely nothing when the choice boils downs to free to use open source firewall that too made outside US of A. Yes you can block telemetry using firewall and other software but you cant block everything, your windows 10 update require some amount of telemetry, if you block it it wont work and thats a big no no for security stand point. If you use chrome thats a magnet for telemetry same is the case for edge chromium and to some extent Firefox too and things gets even murkier when you logs in to Facebook, google and other social media apps. So what I am saying is to focus only on security as the other conditions are hard to fulfill for the time being.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

You know that a software firewall can't solve your problem don't know?
If you fear backdoors, such can easily circumstances your firewall. Don't matter if US based or not or OpenSource. Badness enumerating doesn't work.

It also doesn't make sense blocking Windows internal features. This just crippling down your system, will end in problems and even in an insecure system.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
What you are looking for is non existent product, there is nothing much to choose when it comes to firewall and there is absolutely nothing when the choice boils downs to free to use open source firewall that too made outside US of A. Yes you can block telemetry using firewall and other software but you cant block everything, your windows 10 update require some amount of telemetry, if you block it it wont work and thats a big no no for security stand point. If you use chrome thats a magnet for telemetry same is the case for edge chromium and to some extent Firefox too and things gets even murkier when you logs in to Facebook, google and other social media apps. So what I am saying is to focus only on security as the other conditions are hard to fulfill for the time being.
You know that a software firewall can't solve your problem don't know?
If you fear backdoors, such can easily circumstances your firewall. Don't matter if US based or not or OpenSource. Badness enumerating doesn't work.

It also doesn't make sense blocking Windows internal features. This just crippling down your system, will end in problems and even in an insecure system.
I agree. Countermeasures for telemetry are the same as exercise. Overdoing it will affect your physical condition.🏋️‍♀️

hogrbe

Sep 8, 2023
As a long-time Outpost user, I was facing the same problem of finding a good replacement and kept using Outpost for years after its demise in 2015. Recently I found G-Data, a German Internet Securiy Suite that includes a very decent Firewall. It even allows for different rule sets (something Outpost didn't have) so you can assign different sets for different network interfaces, like direct internet, local network (via router) or a VPN. Setting up and ordering rules also remind me of Kerio 2.1.5.

I also use Linux (more than Windows), in particular Debian, and there is absolutely no reason to worry about telemetry. Linux distro's usually have UFW installed by default or you can install it from the repository. With UFW you can open/close ports easily. Linux is safer than Windows probably will ever be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.