Battle Looking to invest for a VPN subscription

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Looking to invest for a VPN.
Been searching through internet for reviews.
So far there's several choices, but the top few always come out.
Cyberghost Premium (seems MT member using them alot)
Private Internet Access (PIA) (top search for VPN via google)
PureVPN (also from MT thread)

Wonder is anyone can share their experiences on these.
Thanks!

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I've been with NordVPN for over a year now and can't complain. They have a zero-logging policy, are based in Panama and offer a gazillion servers. To this day, it's the only reliable way I've found to consistently work with N_t_fl_x USA from overseas. On top, customer service is top notch. I requested help in two cases during that year and received an automated reply acknowledging my request and telling me to allow 48 hours for a response, yet in both cases I had my stuff followed up within the hour. Both issues were solved each with that single answer.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
The only VPN service I have used is Cyberghost, only one year that I got from an offer. I didnt have problems with it, worked quite good and its quite economic, compared with others.
If you only need it for browsing, you can try Opera's built-in VPN (from SurfEasy), seems to be fine.

RedTeam

Level 1
Verified
Oct 28, 2016
Focus on these vpn's.

Airvpn
Mullvad
IVPN
Perfect Privacy
Froot Vpn

These vpn's were leak tested for dns leaks etc and all passed. They also have the best privacy policy out of all vpn's.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Since my last answer was obvioulsy to subtle to be understood by the powers that be:

"The best privacy policy" doesn't exist. Legally, every business has to follow its governing law. If you reside in the US and your VPN provider resides there, too, you can wager if they go to jail for you or turn over information. If your provider resides in China or Russia, they'll most probably rather make a point in NOT cooperating, just because they can. So "the best" depends largely on your geographical parameters.

On top, I wouldn't put too much weight in the written policies either, unless you're using that VPN for absolutely mundane pseudonymus reasons. Anything else could coerce even a regularly "non-logging" service into starting to log your particular details via National Security Letter and a gag order to go along with it.

My recommendation:

1. Always choose your provider from a legally and politically diametrically opposed country
2. Avoid "free" commercial services
3. Apply due diligence and common sense, policies are moot in illegal matters
4. Research, research, research

On a side note, I'm not currently affiliated with the VPN industry, but I do know several people behind some of the before-mentioned services personally.

Reactions: Adz.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.