LuciusHaydn's Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
:D Hello. Yes i think you are good to go. Actually with Comodo Firevall (cs-settings) every AV- it's like a just keep user think he's/she's safer, but it's good to have one. You have in real time protection almost bit overkill, altrought nothing to add,,, stay safe! & thanks for sharing :)

BC

D

Deleted member 178

Not a good setup, you are using 2 FW (one in BDTS, one in CFW) which may cause issues and conflicts (even vulnerabilities) because both FW drivers are present.
BDTS is clearly not necessary at all (especially a trial) if you using CFW + VS , using those is overkill already, CFW block everything even before VS has the time to react...

If you need an AV (which is now secondary protection in our time), just use Windows Defender, good enough.

Except that , the rest of the config is fine.

LuciusHaydn

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
Not a good setup, you are using 2 FW (one in BDTS, one in CFW) which may cause issues and conflicts (even vulnerabilities) because both FW drivers are present.
BDTS is clearly not necessary at all (especially a trial) if you using CFW + VS , using those is overkill already, CFW block everything even before VS has the time to react...

If you need an AV (which is now secondary protection in our time), just use Windows Defender, good enough.

Except that , the rest of the config is fine.

Thank you Umbra. :) I had taken the conflicting firewalls into account when I did this and actually thought to disable the firewall in BDTS so as to only be relying on CFW. However, you make a good point about the AV really being only secondary protection. I think I will take BD out of the equation altogether.

I admit, I really love Voodooshield, but you are correct that CFW will block anything before VS can deal with it. I think I am going to drop that as well and just rely on CFW. I know it works well, especially with its current setup.

I am going to make those necessary changes and edit the initial post accordingly. :)

Edit: Also decided to add one additional extension to my browser: Avira Browser Safety. I like having that on my browser as a precaution. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Edit: Also decided to add one additional extension to my browser: Avira Browser Safety. I like having that on my browser as a precaution. :)
I beta test it at the moment, works well so far

the only thing VS will afford over CFW is the use of Virus Total and its Ai to give you a reputation of the blocked file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LuciusHaydn

LuciusHaydn

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
I beta test it at the moment, works well so far

the only thing VS will afford over CFW is the use of Virus Total and its Ai to give you a reputation of the blocked file.

That is one of the things I liked about it. Although I really enjoyed it's white-listing "Always ON" mode as well. However CFW just pretty much fills in what I need and if necessary, I can just head over to VT and check on a file myself. :)

Reactions: Deleted member 178

LuciusHaydn

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. I am very happy with this configuration and will be sticking with it. :D
I do admit, it feels odd not having a better AV than just Windows Defender. Don't get me wrong... I know it works, but I often just feel like I am not even using an AV (that's not a compliment to WD). I keep fighting the temptation to download and install a free lightweight AV like Bitdefender or Avast. The problem is I know that I really just don't need one. It is an odd feeling not having an AV that I have confidence in. Instead I am ultimately relying on CFW and on-demand scanners.
I hope this is making some sense. :confused:
But I am happy. :)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. I am very happy with this configuration and will be sticking with it. :D
I do admit, it feels odd not having a better AV than just Windows Defender. Don't get me wrong... I know it works, but I often just feel like I am not even using an AV (that's not a compliment to WD). I keep fighting the temptation to download and install a free lightweight AV like Bitdefender or Avast. The problem is I know that I really just don't need one. It is an odd feeling not having an AV that I have confidence in. Instead I am ultimately relying on CFW and on-demand scanners.
I hope this is making some sense. :confused:
But I am happy. :)
My opinion is That you Actually need à av.. Like Avira,Total360

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Nice Config. Just couple of suggestions for you. If possible try Cc-enhancer with Ccleaner and as you are using free version of Zemena Antimalware, you can try Malwarebyet free also.

Reactions: LuciusHaydn
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.