Troubleshoot Mac OS X possible malware infection

Bc89

Thread author
May 6, 2016
Hello,
I hope you can help me.
In the past few months I have been having problems with my Mac when browsing the Internet.

Very often, in fact, I get redirected to pages that tell me that I need to update Flash Player, or I just get redirected to adverts pages.
Here some examples of random pages that come up (I hope they are not malicious, I tried to save just their names)
Code:
pc4maintainance.safeupgrades4ever.site
constantinstallermac.com
downloadappz247.online

This is proving impossible for me to use the Internet, on either Chrome or Safari.

I even get pop ups ads on website and I can’t log in (for example,I tried to use the Easy jet website but it wouldn’t let me search because there was an ad that wouldn’t go away).

I tried with a lot of different solutions as suggested on various forums, I have run a scan with Malwarebytes, I have used Avast,I have checked the extensions on Chrome and Safari,but nothing seems to be working.

I would seem that I got some sort of malware but nothing comes up when running these scans and I really don’t know what to do.

I tried to run the scan you suggest in the guidelines,but it wouldn't let me do it because I'm not using Windows.
I really hope you can help me, I'm desperate!

Thank you,

Beatrice

Bc89

Thread author
May 6, 2016
No,both Malwarebytes and Avast don't detect any problem..and yes I have cleared the browsers but nothing. What worries me is the example of the Easy jet website,as it's the first time that this thing is actually preventing me from doing something from home.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

If this is just a browser hijack then do what @J Gamez065 recommended and run CCleaner and Windows Disk Clean-Up (search Windows Disk Cleanup on your system). If it is not a browser hijack then it may be Adware/Spyware etc...

Reactions: Der.Reisende
Upvote 0
A

Alkajak

If it isn't adware and it's just a redirect issue, reset your browsers by doing the following:

Safari:

Backup your bookmarks
Open Safari
Preferences > Advanced > Enable Develop Menu > Empty Caches
History > Clear history/cookies
Disable all extensions
Exit Safari
Open Finder
Navigate to User/Home folder
Go to View Options / Press Command+J
Check "Show Library Folder"
Trash Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db

Chrome:

Backup your bookmarks
In URL bar, enter: about:flags
Click "Reset all to defaults"

Reactions: Der.Reisende
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.