MacDefender Test #2, "Trojan" Ransomware

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Brilliant thread! :emoji_beer: :emoji_beer: :emoji_beer:

If I thought F-Secures stable version would show any other result then the Beta version I could always have a run, but I doubt it in this case simply because of the infection description and also the result. The Ransomware protection bypass I know for example member @Lord Ami even officially reported about last year but no feedback.

Thanks for reporting it back then! I also filed a bug and I agree, FS Protection likely does not perform differently than the stable version of SAFE. Other than UI bugs with the scanner I've never seen DeepGuard and other core modules act differently or worse in the beta.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
ESET HIPS rules to prevent this kind of manipulation of 7zip, WinRar, WinZip, BandiZip or anything that you may use. Should be useful for ESET users. Thanks for the test and sharing with malware hub tester MacDefender

Rules:

1) m1.PNG or m2.PNG
2) m3.png 3) m4.PNG 4) m5.PNG
Result: e3.PNG or e1.png

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
ESET HIPS rules to prevent this kind of manipulation of 7zip, WinRar, WinZip, BandiZip or anything that you may use. Should be useful for ESET users. Thanks for the test and sharing with malware hub tester MacDefender

Rules:

1) View attachment 233385 or View attachment 233386
2) View attachment 233387 3) View attachment 233388 4) View attachment 233389
Result: View attachment 233391 or View attachment 233390

Nice! "Start new application" would be the right choke point for the HIPS.

The ESET HIPS is a very powerful Swiss army knife but it's not set it and forget it. With any of the automatic settings it does almost nothing but the possibilities are endless.

If ESET added a traditional style behavior blocker I would have no complaints about the product!

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Nice! "Start new application" would be the right choke point for the HIPS.

The ESET HIPS is a very powerful Swiss army knife but it's not set it and forget it. With any of the automatic settings it does almost nothing but the possibilities are endless.

If ESET added a traditional style behavior blocker I would have no complaints about the product!
Oops! About the ESET rule above: I just realized it's going to detect even when you try to open 7zip itself. So not an ideal solution tbh 😕

zz.PNG

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Thanks @MacDefender and @harlan4096 for those tests, you guys are one of the things that makes MalwareTips a great community.

Said that, as I expected Kaspersky System Watcher is smart enough to detect this kind of abuse, but in the case that it "failed", I wonder if the rollback feature could save the files.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Rules:

1) View attachment 233385 or View attachment 233386
2) View attachment 233387 3) View attachment 233388 4) View attachment 233389
Result: View attachment 233391 or View attachment 233390

Those kind of rules are not good enough for protection, what if the "sponsor" (7-Zip for example) isnt launched in from the default files?

The criminals could download the "sponsor" and execute from another place, they could embedded along with the malware, they could execute a different version of the sponsor ...

I already saw some ransomwares that use WinRar/7-Zip and do exactly that, so those kind of rules are not that very useful.

Edit: ROI Locker is the kind of the ransomware that uses this method that I mentioned before:

ROI Locker was identified early in April, but appears to have been in circulation as early as March, based on our observation of an advertisement in an underground market. This ransomware is potentially distributed via rogue software websites, based on the fact that this sample was observed sporting the icon of the popular P2P application uTorrent, and is bundled with a uTorrent installer. After ROI Locker is installed, it makes its presence known to the victim in the usual manner with a variation on a lock screen. However, under the hood it operates much differently.

ROI Locker differentiates itself from other ransomware variants mainly in the ransom note screen, as well as the “encryption” mechanism it employs. ROI Locker moves commonly used file-types found on the victim computer into a password-protected RAR archive. Once the files are moved into the RAR archive, ROI Locker spawns an application which contains detailed information for the victim about the infection and the status of their files, as shown in Figure 7. However, due to the way in which this process is carried out, the password to the RAR archive can be found in clear-text in the victim machine’s memory. Additionally, it is important to note that a decrypter has been made publically available for this ransomware, and can be found with additional details at BleepingComputer [5] .

ROI Locker attempts to encrypt the following file types:

.jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .psd, .ppd, .tiff, .flv, .avi, .mov, .qt, .wmv, .rm, .asf, .mp4, .mpg, .mpeg, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .pdf, .docx, .pptx, .doc, .7z, .zip, .txt, .ppt, .pps, .wpd, .wps, .xlr, .xls, .xlsl

When executed, ROI Locker will make a copy of itself named “cryptohost.exe” located in the C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\ directory. Once there, another binary is created and dropped in the same directory called “processor.exe”. This appears to be a version of WinRAR and carries out deletion and addition of identified files to the RAR archive. It should be noted that ROI Locker deletes files after moving them to the RAR archive. Therefore, there is no filename extension for encrypted files associated with this ransomware.

Executed Command via WinRAR
C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\processor.exe A -r -p{SHA-1 Hash of System Info}[User] -m0 -dw C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\{SHA-1 Hash of System Info}.rar C:\*.jpg C:\*.jpeg C:\*.png C:\*.gif C:\*.psd C:\*.ppd C:\*.tiff C:\*.flv C:\*.avi C:\*.mov C:\*.qt C:\*.wmv C:\*.rm C:\*.asf C:\*.mp4 C:\*.mpg C:\*.mpeg C:\*.m4v C:\*.3gp C:\*.3g2 C:\*.pdf C:\*.docx C:\*.pptx C:\*.doc C:\*.7z C:\*.zip C:\*.txt C:\*.ppt C:\*.pps C:\*.wpd C:\*.wps C:\*.xlr C:\*.xls C:\*.xlsl
SwitchFunction
ACreate RAR archive
-rRecursive search of subfolders
-pSet password
-m0Set compression method; 0 indicates file are added with no compression
-dwWipe files after archiving

Last edited:

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Those kind of rules are not good enough for protection, what if the "sponsor" (7-Zip for example) isnt launched in from the default files?

The criminals could download the "sponsor" and execute from another place, they could embedded along with the malware, they could execute a different version of the sponsor ...

I already saw some ransomwares that use WinRar/7-Zip and do exactly that, so those kind of rules are not that very useful.

Edit: ROI Locker is the kind of the ransomware that uses this method that I mentioned before:

That's pretty cool that there's already ransomware that does this!

I mentioned earlier that this wasn't a very creative idea, I spent just a few minutes looking at various well known executables that could be used to ransom files. The hardest thing to find actually was the ability to delete the original since attempting to do that from a untrusted binary sets off behavior blockers for sure. The other zip/RAR archiver's had stricter licenses and I wanted to respect copyright law. I also quickly looked at Busybox and MinGW and other UNIX like runtimes. Busybox actually had a negative cloud reputation with ESET and Windows Defender so I am guessing malware has tried to use it before. But there's many many other things that can be used to carry out this kind of escape.

By the way, thanks to all the other testers who have been trying this against custom settings. That is a lot of valuable info. It's of course good to know when standard settings don't work, but I also like learning about what tools and techniques are available for those willing to put in that extra effort to configure them. I like making proof of concept exploits because the way they behave can be described in an easy to understand manner and we can just analyze the core mechanics. Real malware tends to be obfuscated, depend heavily in a remote payload stage, and attempts to evade analysis. It takes much longer to whittle them down to the point that you're able to test just a component of the malware.

For example, even in "bonus" dynamic testing, you can see a lot of AVs still simply say "the cloud thinks this is a virus", and that's more or less still signature scanning, not a behavior blocker test.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

I agree. But using of 7-Zip and WinRar is not common in the wild since it's easier to decrypt them. As you can see from the report you shared the decryption key can be found in victim's machine's memory so this kind of technique won't be used much.
Anyway, I've managed to create another better HIPS rule to prevent the POC discussed here.
However, due to the way in which this process is carried out, the password to the RAR archive can be found in clear-text in the victim machine’s memory

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I agree. But using of 7-Zip and WinRar is not common in the wild since it's easier to decrypt them. As you can see from the report you shared the decryption key can be found in victim's machine's memory so this kind of technique won't be used much.

I agree with that, though I will wager a bet that if everyone had a behavior blocker as good as Emsisoft/DeepGuard/KSW, for a ransomware writer an exposed key is better than no ransomware at all.

In practice that Node.js exploit is more likely what you will see in the wild. Bring along a non AMSI enabled interpreter to do your dirty work for you. A lot of video games include Lua or Python interpreters in their installation. Professional tools like MATLAB and AutoCAD all have scriptable modes. Some game engines are so dumb that they just have an ini file that you can fill with arbitrary commands. I've also noticed that most AVs don't react to things happening within WSL/WSL2, so I'm working on my next exploit pack that uses WSL :)

I just found the WinRAR example funny more than anything else because creating a password protected archive is just such a lazy way of making ransomware. What's next, open the document in Microsoft Office and script it to turn on password protection?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
There are other ransomwares that make the use of a similar technique and not all malware writers will make those foolish mistakes.

Anyway, this is more POC than anything, I dont see a reason to worry about this, but those tests are very interesting because they provide insights about how vendors deal with more exotic and random attack vectors.

While F-Secure DeepGuard isnt the most powerful, I am quite okay with it considering how non-intrusive it is; Emsisoft and Kaspersky behavior blockers (especially the latter) are pretty good too, they always impress me with their technology prowess.

Last edited:

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
As we talked about over in the Emsi vs F-Secure thread (Help Me Decide - Emsisoft vs. Eset Internet Security vs. BitDefender Total Security vs. F-Secure Safe (2020) ), one weakness I've found in F-Secure and other Behavior Blockers is that the most common way to escape the behavior blocker is by using a trusted (but not super well known) process to do your dirty work.

If you use something too popular like Powershell or cmd.exe, behavior blockers are smart, especially thanks to AMSI. However, if you use something just mildly popular like a Node.JS runtime, a copy of Cygwin/MinGW, or in this case, 7-Zip, it seems to be blanket whitelisted by behavior blockers.

This piece of fake "malware", which I'm calling TrojanZipperPOC, does this:
  1. Find a copy of 7-zip. It prefers "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe", as long as you have installed a native copy of 7-zip (e.g. 64-bit on 64-bit Windows). Otherwise it uses a 7z.exe in your current folder, which I've bundled as simply a copy of my 7-zip folder on my development machine. Both copies of 7-zip are official shipping versions which means they're both signed as well as considered high-reputation by cloud lookup.
  2. Looks for "My Documents\test" (to restrict it from being ACTUAL ransomware), loops through every file in there.
  3. Runs "7z.exe a -tzip -pransom -sdel FOO.encrypted FOO" for each file you have. This puts it in a zip file with password "ransom" and instructs 7zip to delete the original file.

So far it's worked against both AVs I primarily use. Ouch! I'll spin up additional VMs to test more, but if this is worth testing in the Malware Hub as a special sample, please PM me for the binaries :)

Antimalware ProgramFiles in My Documents\testCommentsTester
ESET NOD32 (all heuristics set to highest, HIPS set to Smart)ENCRYPTED@MacDefender
F-Secure SAFE 17.8 BetaENCRYPTEDRansomware protection is even enabled@MacDefender
Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.x (latest)ENCRYPTED@MacDefender
Windows Defender Controlled Folder Accessintact!CFA blocked anything from happening@MacDefender
Emsisoft AM 2020.2ENCRYPTED@MacDefender

Conclusions:

This is a really really trivial way of commandeering a known process to do your dirty work. It's not hard to trace the fact that 7z.exe was launched directly by an untrusted process, so I consider this to be a solvable vulnerability.

It wouldn't be impossible to distance the untrusted process further from 7z.exe. For example, scheduled tasks or startup items, or using a process to launch a process, etc etc etc. So consider this a dumb "5 minute" approach (that's literally how long it took for me to write this) to replicate a in-the-wild ransomware strategy.

Default Controlled Folder protection is not much of a protection when you realize everything not covered by Controlled Folder protection is allowed to be encrypted. And that can cause problems. But then I suppose the average W10 user would be happy with the fact that it prevented their photos from being encrypted... despite the fact that they should have a backup solution. You know, if one points this sort of stuff out, it strikes a nerve and isn't very popular. Whatever.

To make the best use of the feature one has to skillfully configure it.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Im using F-Secure SAFE with SecureAplus APEX and Comodo Firewall with custom HIPS
The POC uses 7z.exe whic is already on the SAP restricted list by default.
SAP for sure gave a pop-up, signed 7z.exe and universal AV did not detected anything.
sap_test.jpg

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
There are other ransomwares that make the use of a similar technique and not all malware writers will make those foolish mistakes.

Anyway, this is more POC than anything, I dont see a reason to worry about this, but those tests are very interesting because they provide insights about how vendors deal with more exotic and random attack vectors.

While F-Secure DeepGuard isnt the most powerful, I am quite okay with it considering how non-intrusive it is; Emsisoft and Kaspersky behavior blockers (especially the latter) are pretty good too, they always impress me with their technology prowess.

Yep this totally is just a POC and I am not one for doomsday headlines. It's a way to test behavior blockers which I find interesting.

I definitely agree DeepGuard is a good match to complement F-Secure. The product has anywhere from 3 to 5 engines over time and it's no slouch at signature detection. DeepGuard is just sensitive enough to complement their product and provide zero day protection.

Emsisoft's BB is great too and very sensitive (almost to a fault)
Default Controlled Folder protection is not much of a protection when you realize everything not covered by Controlled Folder protection is allowed to be encrypted. And that can cause problems. But then I suppose the average W10 user would be happy with the fact that it prevented their photos from being encrypted... despite the fact that they should have a backup solution. You know, if one points this sort of stuff out, it strikes a nerve and isn't very popular. Whatever.

To make the best use of the feature one has to skillfully configure it.
yeah it's both a lot and not a lot. It also stops Blizzard from saving game saves and Turbotax from opening my tax returns..... And yeah everything outside of the protected folders have zero protection

It's a useful tool but not a magical fix for this problem

koloveli

Level 4
Well-known
Sep 13, 2012
if system restore disable, not possible recover files encrypted;
if ransomware exploit files system shared with software security, programs protection fail;
i use comodo internet security protect me.

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
yeah it's both a lot and not a lot. It also stops Blizzard from saving game saves and Turbotax from opening my tax returns..... And yeah everything outside of the protected folders have zero protection

It's a useful tool but not a magical fix for this problem

Just create and save to your Documents or Downloads folder, then move to whatever protected folder you wish.

It is easy enough. However, I know people and they will complain about having to do a single additional step.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.