Macrium 7...Windows not activated...WHAT?

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I install Windows 10, activated it, install Macrium Reflect (Licensed Version 7), and make an image Back Up.

Then I install all my must have software, and make another image Back Up.

Now I have noticed that every time I restore my image, Windows 10 "Microsoft" says I ned to activate windows 10 again.

How do I fix this.

Thanks

Reactions: Syafiq

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Try to use "Troubleshoot activation":
activation-troubleshooters-e1466678787563.jpg
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter
I hope this can fix your issue :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
Upvote 0

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I found the answer, but you're not going to like it.

Above I mentioned making two Image BU's... The first one I call the base, it is basically just windows and Macrium. This is a "FULL BU"

Then I install all my favorite software, and make another Image BU, this one is an "INCREMENTAL BU".

I figured out the problem by restoring the 1st image "FULL BU" and noticed that Windows was registered, so I ran the Windows update, and when prompted I rebooted, and checked again, and it is still registered.

Then I restored the 2nd Image BU, "INCREMENTAL BU" and noticed it was NOT registered, so I ran the Windows update, rebooted, and checked again, and it is NOT registered.

So FULL Image Bu's with Macrium save the windows registration info, INCREMENTAL Image Bu's do NOT save the windows registration info.

Upvote 0

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I do incremental backups with Macrium Reflect all the time, and I have restored images many, many times, and I don't have Windows activation problems.

Incremental or differential? For sure. Because all my incrementals do this, but full images no problem

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I never had any problems like this with incremental, differential or full images using Macrium. Did you restart the computer at least once after activating and before performing the image?

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Incremental or differential? For sure. Because all my incrementals do this, but full images no problem
I do all kinds: incremental, differential, and full. They all save the same data, there is no difference in that respect. It's just a question of how many files the data is spread over.
So it doesn't make sense that the type of image will affect Windows activation.

Reactions: mlnevese
Upvote 0

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I never had any problems like this with incremental, differential or full images using Macrium. Did you restart the computer at least once after activating and before performing the image?

Yes. and same image tested both ways as full and incremental. As full no problem, with incremental problem exists. Using version 7 of Macrium.

Reactions: mlnevese
Upvote 0

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I do all kinds: incremental, differential, and full. They all save the same data, there is no difference in that respect. It's just a question of how many files the data is spread over.
So it doesn't make sense that the type of image will affect Windows activation.

Not saying you are wrong or right. But just sharing with you what is happening. Take the same BU as full, and as incremental, restore full no problem, restore incremental problem appears in control panel / system

Upvote 0

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Do you use a local account or a Microsoft account? I believe Windows 10 is registered by your Microsoft account.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Not saying you are wrong or right. But just sharing with you what is happening. Take the same BU as full, and as incremental, restore full no problem, restore incremental problem appears in control panel / system
If I was you, I would post on the Macrium forum, or in the appropriate thread on Wilderssecurity. It doesn't look like we are getting to the bottom of the problem over here on MT.

Upvote 0

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
Do you use a local account or a Microsoft account? I believe Windows 10 is registered by your Microsoft account.

You can install using either local or Microsoft account, and I have tried both, and same problem appears. Full image no problem, incremental have to activate again.

Upvote 0

Thanks but I have a new retail version of Windows 10

You can link your Windows key to a Microsoft Account. After you do that, and just use a local account in your incremental image, some users state the activation issue resolves itself.

The issue you report has been a problem for some Macrium users for years because of Microsoft's activation mechanisms. For example, on some hardware, no matter what the user does - even creating special backup images using sysprep\diskpart\etc - a restored Macrium image will not auto-activate.

In other words, this is a long-known issue that Macrium can do nothing about.

Upvote 0

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
You can link your Windows key to a Microsoft Account. After you do that, and just use a local account in your incremental image, some users state the activation issue resolves itself.

The issue you report has been a problem for some Macrium users for years because of Microsoft's activation mechanisms. For example, on some hardware, no matter what the user does - even creating special backup images using sysprep\diskpart\etc - a restored Macrium image will not auto-activate.

In other words, this is a long-known issue that Macrium can do nothing about.

Thanks... I have used both MS and Local account...

With the FULL BU Image with either local or Microsoft account No problem, it stays activated.

Restore the INCREMENTAL BU Image, and Windows needs to be activated again.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.