Macrium 7...Windows not activated...WHAT?

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I install Windows 10, activated it, install Macrium Reflect (Licensed Version 7), and make an image Back Up.

Then I install all my must have software, and make another image Back Up.

Now I have noticed that every time I restore my image, Windows 10 "Microsoft" says I ned to activate windows 10 again.

How do I fix this.

Thanks

Reactions: Syafiq

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
That issue is Microsoft\Windows and not Macrium.

Well guys I am sorry to say, it looks like it is Macrium.

I just upgraded to Acronis 2018.

I did the EXACT same test with Acronis from a FULL and INCREMENTAL BU Image using Acronis, and both the incremental and full images when restored, using Acronis, are both still registered.

Upvote 0

Well guys I am sorry to say, it looks like it is Macrium.

I just upgraded to Acronis 2018.

I did the EXACT same test with Acronis from a FULL and INCREMENTAL BU Image using Acronis, and both the incremental and full images when restored, using Acronis, are both still registered.

I would not be at all surprised that when you do a restore at some future date, Windows is not activated. It is a common enough issue that has to do with the way that Microsoft Windows activation functions. All you have to do is search the various backup soft vendor forums to find numerous reports.

Acronis can have the same issue: Windows activation required after restore with Acronis Universal Restore, cloning or converting backup to virtual machine | Knowledge Base

There are other such items in their KB and in the forums.

Because of these type problems, I no longer use imaging softs as every single one that I have tried has caused a major issue sooner or later.

I am not advocating that a person not use imaging softs. I think it is a needs-based decision for every user to decide. I just never had any decent personal experiences with these softs. Ask @Peter2150 what happens when disaster recovery\image restore goes terribly wrong.

For every 1 person that says I have no problems with backup\imaging soft XYZ, there are 99 people that experience problems of one sort or another. It is the reason backup\imaging softs have never been able to penetrate the typical user market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shmu26 and mlnevese
Upvote 0

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I would not be at all surprised that when you do a restore at some future date, Windows is not activated. It is a common enough issue that has to do with the way that Microsoft Windows activation functions. All you have to do is search the various backup soft vendor forums to find numerous reports.

Acronis can have the same issue: Windows activation required after restore with Acronis Universal Restore, cloning or converting backup to virtual machine | Knowledge Base

There are other such items in their KB and in the forums.

Because of these type problems, I no longer use imaging softs as every single one that I have tried has caused a major issue sooner or later.

I am not advocating that a person not use imaging softs. I think it is a needs-based decision for every user to decide. I just never had any decent personal experiences with these softs. Ask @Peter2150 what happens when disaster recovery\image restore goes terribly wrong.

For every 1 person that says I have no problems with backup\imaging soft XYZ, there are 99 people that experience problems of one sort or another. It is the reason backup\imaging softs have never been able to penetrate the typical user market.

You may be right. I tried it 5 times, and each time Acronis didn't cause the problem, and macrium did? Plus I have now decided to keep the macrium Image BU's and the Acronis Image BU's and possibly use AOMEI Backupper as my 3rd and final addition

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

You may be right. I tried it 5 times, and each time Acronis didn't cause the problem, and macrium did? Plus I have now decided to keep the macrium Image BU's and the Acronis Image BU's and possibly use AOMEI Backupper as my 3rd and final addition

Image restore is a disaster recovery tool and should be 100 % reliable - every time. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one that doesn't let me down when I need it to work most. Every time one of the publishers updates their product I would have to do dry-run tests to validate it, only to find some kind of problem. After enough of that sort of thing I just kinda threw my hands in the air and decided to just backup folders\files that I just don't want to lose.

Anyone that has image restore issues I empathize with their problems.

You should see what happens in the commercial\enterprise environment.

Reactions: shmu26 and mlnevese
Upvote 0

I am not dissing you in any way...was just curious....thanks

I didn't think you did... I was just asking revert to an earlier state for what purposes ? There is to revert to a clean state, revert to a previous state, revert to a particular point in time, etc.

If a system gets messed up to where there are enough problems I just clean install the OS and rebuild the system.

Reactions: mlnevese
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It happened to me a couple times that I couldn't boot, after a macrium reflect restore, but their boot repair tool fixed it real quick and easy. This hasn't happened to me in ages.

Once I accidentally pressed the cancel button shortly after a restore job had begun, and that REALLY messed things up. My hard disk became totally unbootable. But after booting from a Macrium CD, I was able to successfully restore my image.

Reactions: mlnevese
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.