CCleaner

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
@user102

I've always wondered "what would happen if my AV got hacked?!", and AV companies got hacked before. That's why I thought it was wiser to be on the safe side, and have more than one AV.

Reactions: Logethica

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Consider some type of backup solution or at least an external HHDD to store your important files
CCleaner or Privazer
Consider adding an additional Browser and removing both ABD & ABD+ an installing uBlock

Reactions: Logethica and mal1

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Remove one of the two AVs and you are good

I changed many things about my configuration, and wanted to change/edit my post, but I don't seem to be able to edit my answers, only the text below:rolleyes:.

Reactions: Logethica

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
@user102

I've always wondered "what would happen if my AV got hacked?!", and AV companies got hacked before. That's why I thought it was wiser to be on the safe side, and have more than one AV.
I think running 2 antivirus programs at once is fine in my opinion, just exclude them from scanning each other

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I changed many things about my configuration, and wanted to change/edit my post, but I don't seem to be able to edit my answers, only the text below:rolleyes:.

You can edit your configuration by clicking "Thread Tools -> Edit Thread Fields".

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Nice config, but because you are using the FREE version of avast! I recommend you install a more powerful firewall and or Zemana AntiLogger (free if you want)

Thank you @Anti-Malware Reviewer :)!

As a matter of fact, I started a thread about antiloggers Best R.A.T/Keylogger protection?, and searched for Avast IS (which, unlike the free version, has a sandbox. I need a sandbox) giveaways or even extended trials like this one Extended Trial - Avast Internet Security (2016) [6 months free]. Avast IS giveaway is still open and I'll participate in it. if I don't win, I'll add an antilogger.

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
I have recently upgraded to Avast internet security, and now with 1-year F-Secure Safe license:D, I'm confused as whether I should keep Avast IS, or switch to F-Secure.
As a happy clicker Happy clicker, frequent downloader; how to minimize risks? Avast's sandbox seems invaluable, but as a privacy-freak, F-Secure privacy policy seems intriguing to me.
And judging by opinions on F-Secure Internet Security vs Avast Internet Security it seems to be a close call, both have very good detection rates (slightly higher rates for F-Secure), both have some FPs (more FPs for Avast), deepGuard vs. deepScreen (?), Avast is lighter, Avast offers aggressive hardened mode, F-Secure has a much better privacy policy...... STILL CONFUSED:rolleyes:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@mal1: For me you may have a test with F-secure, because their concept is straightforward + Deepguard is totally an active against suspicious behavior. A worthwhile to test beyond mainstream products. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I agree with jamescv7. Why not try F-Secure Safe, and you can use Sandboxie
Sandboxie - Download Sandboxie which is a reliable software, and it's free.;) You may find F-Secure to be everything you hope it to be.. or not.:oops: Either way, it's worth finding out.:):) I'd truly liked Avast!, and was happy with their Premier for an entire year before the release of their own sandbox. I would love to try F-Secure Safe myself ..if Santa had only delivered on that extra computer I asked for!:rolleyes:
As far as I know, Avast! does not have a compatibility mode, although I did try conceptualclarity's suggestion & used Adaware with it's compatibility mode. It was essentially an additional on-demand scanner.
I'd popped over to Avast!'s forums to investigate further.
Here's the discussion:

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.