conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Sandboxie is a good possible substitute for Avast's sandbox. I have myself had some interest in someday having Avast as an on-demand scanner, and apparently one can do that. It would let you run Avast's boot scan, for example.

Maybe that would interest mal1, but he also mentioned interest in the hardened mode.

Reactions: Logethica and mal1

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
When you google Avast compatibility mode, most of the results date back to 2012, except for this thread from 2015 (which was started by our Cats-4_Owners-2:)) Avast compatibility mode and an Avast forum moderator said "avast doesn't have a compatibility mode. What exactly is it you mean ?" So I assume the compatibility mode was discontinued after 2012

I PMed Umbra who's in charge of "companion AVs" on MT 2 months ago, asking him to remove Avast compatibility mode from his list of companion AVs.:D

Anyway thank you guys, I think F-Secure Safe is worth a try:)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Good discussion.

Avast did have one, during installation you could select it, in fact it runs Avast without the real-time AV.

When you say Avast did have one, are you confirming that they dropped their option to use as on-demand scanner in "compatibility mode"?

Did Avast's compatibility mode include anything realtime, for example web protection?

Reactions: Logethica

mal1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Judging by this thread on Avast forum from 2012 Compatible Mode (Malwarebytes), there was an option to install Avast in compatible mode when you first install the program. I don't recall such option when I first installed Avast free on my laptop a few months ago.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I didn't see compatible mode either when I used Avast in 2013. In my case, though, there were so many modes and modules that I wasn't having an easy time keeping track of it all, so I could have missed it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.