App Review Malware beats Microsoft Defender: How you get hacked (TPSC)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
The PC Security Channel

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's one that just came in my inbox. They've sent the same one a number of times.
1705606024465.png1705606324625.png Nice!

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Wonder how many AVs would detect password protected files. This is really a phishing scam and user-behavior is the real issue. I've gotten a few of these recently myself.

Winner..."the user-behavior is the real issue". Yes, where is the part where the user A) says, "I've never used them or had that (software etc) before", and marks it, deletes it as Spam. B) hovers their mouse cursor over the sender's address to confirm the suspicious address that they (user) has never been a part of before. Let alone entering a password into the pop-up box...at what point do the alarm bells start going off?

Last edited:

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Wonder how many AVs would detect password protected files. This is really a phishing scam and user-behavior is the real issue. I've gotten a few of these recently myself.
Kaspersky. They have options to scan within password protected archives if you provide the password.

Also, if you put in the password and run it, can’t it be detected since it’s not encrypted?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Winner..."the user-behavior is the real issue". Yes, where is the part where the user A) says, "I've never used them or had that (software etc) before", and marks it, deletes it as Spam. B) hovers their mouse cursor over the sender's address to confirm the suspicious address that they (user) has never been a part of before. Let alone entering a password into the pop-up box...at what point do the alarm bells start going off?
I love where it says "It will take you only a minute to receive this fantastic prize." Absolutely priceless! :LOL::LOL: :LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.