Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
More:

Process Monitor: Killswitch,Task Manager
Start-up manager-Msconfig, occasionally CCleaner
DNS Settings: Norton Medium Security Settings
Windows Update: Turned on, set to check with me before installing
UAC: Notifies only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Recovery/Backup: Paragon Backup and Recovery. Also burned system repair disk.
Disk Defragmenter: Windows Defragmenter
Cleaning Utilities: CCleaner
File archiving: Winrar,7-zip
System Optimizing: CCleaner
Portable Anti-malware tools when cleaning other computers(all with pre-loaded databases if possible):
Gmer,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Hitman Pro,CCE,rkill,MBAM,Dr. Web Cure It, Kaspersky Rescue Disk, Rogue Killer

EDIT ON 1/11/13: Eliminated sandboxie as I am using Comodo's browser sandbox full-time. Also eliminated SuperAntiSpware from my portable anti-malware tools and regular scanning tools. Also removed defraggler and as I am content with Windows Defragmenter.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Malware Doctor Config

looking to maybe switch to Comodo Firewall and Defense+,MBAM and EAM(or Norton AV). Please give me your opinion.

Comodo Firewall + EAM 6.x
Comodo Firewall + Norton AV 2012

Honestly, MBAM good enough for on-demanding, if ever Comodo or your RT miss any possible infections.

Set SONAR to aggressive and set Download Intelligence to Always

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Looks like you have a very locked down config. I like it. :)

When it comes to the backup, you could have a look here.

P

Plexx

MBAM on RT will slow the system down a bit. If you have a powerful system you will not notice. If you have a relatively decent system then you will start noticing.

Norton on its own is good enough with some tweaks. If you want a firewall then you can go Comodo route or PrivateFirewall or even TinyWall.

EAM with the above combos will also be ok but beware of certain False Positives.

Do you force the web browsing into Sandboxie? If so you can remove some of the addons as well as remove SAS since it will be irrelevant due to the rest of On Demand scanners you have. If anything replace SAS with EEK which you have it in the portable list.

As for backup solutions, there are 3 free utilities you can have a look: Easeus todo backup, Macrium Reflect, Paragon backup and recovery free 2012.

I am a user of Paragon.

Acronis True home: was a user of version 2010. Switched to 2011 and had issues. 2012 doesn't seem to add much. If you do go Acronis route, go with 2010.

Apart from doing videos on VMware, what do you do with your computer? Depending on your needs, you can still trim it down by removing some stuff and replacing it.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012

Biozfear said:
MBAM on RT will slow the system down a bit. If you have a powerful system you will not notice. If you have a relatively decent system then you will start noticing.

Norton on its own is good enough with some tweaks. If you want a firewall then you can go Comodo route or PrivateFirewall or even TinyWall.

EAM with the above combos will also be ok but beware of certain False Positives.

Do you force the web browsing into Sandboxie? If so you can remove some of the addons as well as remove SAS since it will be irrelevant due to the rest of On Demand scanners you have. If anything replace SAS with EEK which you have it in the portable list.

As for backup solutions, there are 3 free utilities you can have a look: Easeus todo backup, Macrium Reflect, Paragon backup and recovery free 2012.

I am a user of Paragon.

Acronis True home: was a user of version 2010. Switched to 2011 and had issues. 2012 doesn't seem to add much. If you do go Acronis route, go with 2010.

Apart from doing videos on VMware, what do you do with your computer? Depending on your needs, you can still trim it down by removing some stuff and replacing it.

Thank you for the free back-up software ideas(taking a look at Paragon right now). I basically do very minor things on my host machine(browse the internet,make word documents,ect). The main reason I have more security than I probably need is because of the slim chance something could escape the virtual environment that I do my testing in and target my host machine. Even though I could undo whatever happened to my host, to save myself the time and aggravation then, I want to have a strong configuration backing me up. From what I understand, you are not using any real-time security software at this time?

P

Plexx

MalwareDoctor said:
Thank you for the free back-up software ideas(taking a look at Paragon right now). I basically do very minor things on my host machine(browse the internet,make word documents,ect). The main reason I have more security than I probably need is because of the slim chance something could escape the virtual environment that I do my testing in and target my host machine. Even though I could undo whatever happened to my host, to save myself the time and aggravation then, I want to have a strong configuration backing me up. From what I understand, you are not using any real-time security software at this time?

Paragon is not the fastest but decent.

No I wasn't using any real time protection. Only when doing Videos I was testing on VM with connection. Otherwise would be an isolated network. Only downfall was not being able to connect to the internet.

Since I only game mainly, hence why I bought a gaming machine, there was no real need for a RT protection. On Demand was enough to scan removable media if I ever use something that wasn't mine.

Nevertheless I did post my config before I went AVless. ESET.

Only reason I went AVless was due to finding a decent piece of software that wouldn't affect my FPS nor lag. For example, loveboy was or still is the same as me, but he does offline gaming too. I hardly do offline gaming.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012

So would you say dropping MBAM as real-time protection and just sticking with Comodo(the av portion of Comodo I have set to On-Access),is enough?

P

Plexx

MalwareDoctor said:
So would you say dropping MBAM as real-time protection and just sticking with Comodo(the av portion of Comodo I have set to On-Access),is enough?

What CAV doesn't detect, you should be able to sandbox it if you have doubts. When I used CIS, I had the sandboxed items as Partially Limited. I don't recall if stock settings are Partially or Restricted. Someone would clear this for me.

You could try Umbra's old "virus", which was the combo of CIS + EAM.
You could even get away with avast or avira or avg along with Comodo Firewall if you prefer other free alternatives. FortiClient Lite with Comodo Firewall I have not yet tested so I wouldn't be able to tell you if it is viable.

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear said:
When I used CIS, I had the sandboxed items as Partially Limited. I don't recall if stock settings are Partially or Restricted. Someone would clear this for me.

Partially Limited

You could try Umbra's old "virus", which was the combo of CIS + EAM.

yep :D it performs very well

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.