Malware Man's Config

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Malware Man's Config

Like Umbra said, remove SAS. Something that you can add to Chrome at lease is, Lastpass, HTTPS Everywhere, No Script. Also is UAC on high or?

Reactions: Moose

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
RE: Malware Man's Config

McLovin said:
Like Umbra said, remove SAS. Something that you can add to Chrome at lease is, Lastpass, HTTPS Everywhere, No Script. Also is UAC on high or?

Thank you for your suggestions! :) I have removed SAS, I will now head over to the web store and check out those apps you mentioned. And the UAC is on default.

Reactions: omidomi

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Nice, Win 10 is very GOOD OS
It is indeed nice, but there are still a few quirks that need to be worked out like random blue screens I keep getting which never occurred on 8.1

But other than that it's been wonderful to use.

Reactions: omidomi

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Added:
- Updated from Windows 10 home to pro
- Installed Avira free
- Installed Comodo Firewall with auto sandbox on and HIPS disabled
- Enabled some custom GPO tweaks
- Activated Software Restrictions Policy and created custom rulesets

Last edited:

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
@Sloth

Those videos are irrelevant. One day Avast could do better, the next Avira could score higher. I've seen other videos where Avira scores way higher than Avast. Plus I switch Antivirus programs all the time. I rather test them out myself than rely on review videos on YouTube. I was using Avast yesterday and it found it was slowing down my internet and system. Avira is more lightweight for me and doesn't slow down browsing speeds.

It doesn't matter if Avira misses anything cause Comodo is running in background to auto sandbox anything unknown.

Along with my Group policy tweaks certain file types are denied from running in certain directories.

Tomorrow I could be running Kaspersky or ESET or even back to Avast. I like testing these programs myself.

No antivirus is 100% perfect so it doesn't matter which one I choose. I have Comodo to stop stuff that Avira misses anyways and it's usually blocked before it can even run by my policies I have set anyways.

I've seen malware such as Ransomware bypass both Avast and Avira. However that same file was blocked by Comodo.

Last edited:

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
@Sloth

Good news! I am now back to Avast. It is indeed light. I found out the problem was I had Comodo's HIPS on clean mode which slowed the system down dramatically. Soon as I disabled the HIPS feature it sped right back up again. I am using Avast's HIPS instead with Comodo's auto sandbox and I have no browsing or system slowdowns :)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
@Sloth

Good news! I am now back to Avast. It is indeed light. I found out the problem was I had Comodo's HIPS on clean mode which slowed the system down dramatically. Soon as I disabled the HIPS feature it sped right back up again. I am using Avast's HIPS instead with Comodo's auto sandbox and I have no browsing or system slowdowns :)

Ohhhhh that was the reason, I was wondering.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.