Malware Man's Config

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Added: HitmanPro (forgot I had a license for it, thanks to MalwareTips :))

Well there goes that! ;)
I don't really need it since I have HitmanPro which uses the Bitdefender engine. It's better to have Avast since it has a totally different engine and I prefer Avast IMO. It feels lighter than Emsisoft to me and I have been using it since 4.8 lol.

Ohhhhh that was the reason, I was wondering.
I am happy that I have solved the issue, I was blaming Avast :oops:

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Fixed my group policy with Avast. I had to enter a hash exclusion for it instead of a folder exclusion. Now it is loading fine on startup :]

Last edited:
Reactions: omidomi

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Updates:

Tl;Dr, I deleted all AV software and am now have all my software white listed with Applocker

After realizing a AV just isn't enough these days. Too many viruses are created every second and each vendor just simply cannot keep up. I would never purchase a antivirus software. I loved Avast. It's by far my favourite free AV and have saved me back in the day. Now, the pop ups and ads are getting out of hand. I truly believe whitelisting is the future.

I have setup Applocker to only allow what I put rules for. Admins aren't even allowed to run all files. I don't have no AV software bogging down the system, which is going to miss sometching eventually anyways.

If a exe file doesn't have a digital signature it won't even get to the point of asking for for UAC premisson simce it'll be blocked. Even if it had one, which most malware doesn't. It will still be blocked due to the publisher or file hash isn't on my whitelist.

I leaned the hard way by creating the wrong rules and had to install Windows. Applocker is such a powerful tool. Beats Antivirus software by a long shot IMO.

I was a brave human being even tested the malware packs in the malware hub. I ran over 200 or so and I couldn't get nothing past. I have found active ransomwre and cryptolocker files on the web d those still got denied. I am at lost on how to get anything past it lol.

I am thankful to my school which gives me the Education edition for free, since it allows me to run the fabulous Windows feature known as Applocker.

Since I am now getting expierence using Group Policy, this should give me a advantage when I eventually go to college for my IT degree and start working in the Enteprise world with Goup Policy. I will already be familiar with how it works and won't lock myself out lol :D

Reactions: omidomi and XhenEd

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.