Advice Request Malware or False positive in Potplayer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hello gents
i have updated my software from couple of minutes ago using Patch my PC
one of the updated soft was pot player
i ran 2 on demand scanners Norton power eraser and Malware bytes
malware bytes detected files in temp files as Malware (it belongs to post player update installation files)
please advice as i begin to lose trust in pot player as it is Korean soft may embed malware or just it false positive ??

1564748499356.png

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
The newest version of Potplayer includes the optional installer for Avast AV. So, yes, they have also made the wrong turn recently...
but i used the built in update functionality in the pot player (through check for updates ) not using the installer
is it applicable to drop the Adware while download update patch
if that is right then really i will give up using this soft although it is one of the best :cry::cry:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
but i used the built in update functionality in the pot player (through check for updates ) not using the installer
is it applicable to drop the Adware while download update patch
if that is right then really i will give up using this soft although it is one of the best :cry::cry:
Seems that it only tries to ask the user to install Avast when Potplayer is installing on the system for the first time. Every other time, either through installer either through updater it doesn't offer optional installation altough it drops the adware in %temp folder

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Seems that it only tries to ask the user to install Avast when Potplayer is installing on the system for the first time. Every other time, either through installer either through updater it doesn't offer optional installation altough it drops the adware in %temp folder
i let malwarebytes to quarantine the malware but seems i will find the another alternative it as my preferred one after MPC player :cry: :cry: :cry:

Reactions: BoraMurdar

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Virustotal
Avira detects it too. F-Secure uses Avira's engine but they it seems they detect it via their own engine too.
During installation, Eset detected a dll file but the file was automatically deleted after installation. There's nothing much to worry about it. Btw, I don't see any option to install Avast while installing Pot Player.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Virustotal
Avira detects it too. F-Secure uses Avira's engine but they it seems they detect it via their own engine too.
During installation, Eset detected a dll file but the file was automatically deleted after installation. There's nothing much to worry about it. Btw, I don't see any option to install Avast while installing Pot Player.
it dropped it when i was updating it using it built in update functionality not installer but it created after updating without asking

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
uninstalled i will begin using VLC player instead
I always had issue with VLC. For the best video quality you may try MPC-BE and from option select madVR as video renderer. Then compare it with VLC and you'll understand what I'm talking about. madVR is a bit more resource hungry.
Btw, Pot Player has madVR support too but everything looks whitish in Pot so I don't like it.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Apps installed/updated from Patch My PC don't install adware afaik.
pot player failed to be updated from patch my pc
i updated it from check my updates in the program itself

So you dropping Pot Player because it extracted adware to your temp folder after updating, wow that's harsh, it did not installed adware just extracted all files from installer to temp folder to update Pot Player.
if i suspected program to install some thing or create non necessary and may be harmful files i will get rid of from my system
i scan regularly never caught something in pot player before so something became nasty there

pkillpeers

Feb 20, 2019
Hi. Hitman PRO also detected a dll. Its my first time using Pot player, and i'm already feeling nervous. I'm not getting rid of it for the time being, but i'll keep a close eye on it for sure

Reactions: DDE_Server

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.