Advice Request Malwarebytes Anti Malware Free

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Malwarebytes Anti Malware Free.. does it slow down computer?? Can I use it's on demand scanner to remove malware??
With Malwarebytes Free, after the Premium trial period ends, it is then only a free on-demand scanner with detection & removal of malware / grayware / PUPs; so it will not be running in real-time in the background slowing down the computer, it will only slow things down a bit when you manually do a scan, and yes it can remove malware.

I have been using Malwarebytes Free off and on for years as a free on-demand antimalware scanner, and Malwarebytes Browser Guard as an extra security layer for protecting my web browser.

Recently I uninstalled them as I often do as I try different security programs from time to time.

I am currently using / testing Sophos Scan & Clean, which is a free portable on-demand antimalware scanner, that I have set to automatically scan on startup with Windows Task Scheduler.

It is just one layer among several in my free layered security setup.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
With Malwarebytes Free, after the Premium trial period ends, it is then only a free on-demand scanner with detection & removal of malware / grayware / PUPs; so it will not be running in real-time in the background slowing down the computer, it will only slow things down a bit when you manually do a scan, and yes it can remove malware.

I have been using Malwarebytes Free off and on for years as a free on-demand antimalware scanner, and Malwarebytes Browser Guard as an extra security layer for protecting my web browser.

Recently I uninstalled them as I often do as I try different security programs from time to time.

I am currently using / testing Sophos Scan & Clean, which is a free portable on-demand antimalware scanner, that I have set to automatically scan on startup with Windows Task Scheduler.

It is just one layer among several in my free layered security setup.
Okay Thanks. You're currently using Sophos Scan & Clean.. , have you checked it's performance & malware cleaning ??

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Okay Thanks. You're currently using Sophos Scan & Clean.. , have you checked it's performance & malware cleaning ??
You are welcome.

No, I do not go that deep in my tests, it does scan faster than Malwarebytes Free, and it does detect tracking cookies that Malwarebytes does not.

I am trying to make a free layered security setup that is mostly set and forget, something that I can recommend and / or install for others, and not have to worry about them manually updating and doing scans.

Sophos Scan & Clean is basically a somewhat stripped down free version of HitmanPro it seems, so their detection should be similar; so far I have only seen maybe one video on YouTube test Sophos Scan & Clean since it is pretty new, there may be more now.

My current security setup I am using / testing for Microsoft Windows is: Windows Security set to Recommended settings by DefenderUI, Adguard DNS default public servers at the router & operating system & web browser level, Sophos Scan & Clean set to automatically scan on startup with Windows Task Scheduler, uBlock Origin or Adguard Browser Extension & sometimes Malwarebytes Browser Guard, and web browser security / privacy settings turned on & set to balanced – high.

For Android: Google Play Protect, Sophos Intercept X For Mobile For Android, Adguard DNS default public servers set as the Private DNS, and a web browser with ad blocking (Brave Browser, Firefox with uBlock Origin, Microsoft Edge with Adblock Plus).

• Applause
Reactions: anirbandutta01

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
You are welcome.

No, I do not go that deep in my tests, it does scan faster than Malwarebytes Free, and it does detect tracking cookies that Malwarebytes does not.

I am trying to make a free layered security setup that is mostly set and forget, something that I can recommend and / or install for others, and not have to worry about them manually updating and doing scans.

Sophos Scan & Clean is basically a somewhat stripped down free version of HitmanPro it seems, so their detection should be similar; so far I have only seen maybe one video on YouTube test Sophos Scan & Clean since it is pretty new, there may be more now.

My current security setup I am using / testing for Microsoft Windows is: Windows Security set to Recommended settings by DefenderUI, Adguard DNS default public servers at the router & operating system & web browser level, Sophos Scan & Clean set to automatically scan on startup with Windows Task Scheduler, uBlock Origin or Adguard Browser Extension & sometimes Malwarebytes Browser Guard, and web browser security / privacy settings turned on & set to balanced – high.

For Android: Google Play Protect, Sophos Intercept X For Mobile For Android, Adguard DNS default public servers set as the Private DNS, and a web browser with ad blocking (Brave Browser, Firefox with uBlock Origin, Microsoft Edge with Adblock Plus).
Does it detect script base malware attack ? ( I've heard that MBAM does'nt detect script base attack )
Can I use it like MBAM free? Or it's trial & after that does'nt remove malware??

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Does it detect script base malware attack ? ( I've heard that MBAM does'nt detect script base attack )
Can I use it like MBAM free? Or it's trial & after that does'nt remove malware??
Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to that, I recommend asking Sophos; please do let us know what they say.

It is free, no trial, no install, free detection & removal, and it automatically updates itself before scans; and because it is portable, you can put it on a flash drive / external hard drive et cetera, and run it from there as well.

I recommend trying it along with Malwarebytes Free, I am curious how it works out for you, both can be used as on-demand scanners without conflicting with each other; so you can use both or eventually decide which you like better.

Last edited:
Reactions: anirbandutta01

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to that, I recommend asking Sophos; please do let us know what they say.

It is completely free, no trial, no install, free detection & removal, and it automatically updates itself before scans.

I recommend trying it along with Malwarebytes Free, I am curious how it works out for you, both can be used as on-demand scanners without conflicting with each other; so you can use both or eventually decide which you like better.
Okay thanks

Reactions: goodjohnjr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.