App Review Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware Beta 8

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Naw, Malwarebytes at this point needs to refocus on what they are good at and
what got them to the top. MBAR has been in beta for a year or better now and is not
making enough progress to justify the resource expenditure.
At this point it would be wise of them to cut their losses time wise and move on.
It's really sad that it's still that bad.

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
"Your system is fully protected" just make sure you don't run any ransomware otherwise you're more than likely screwed, we're still working on how to defend against that correctly. :p

Thanks for the review, their product obviously still needs to be worked on a lot.
Malwarebytes should just stick to their anti-malware and focus on improving that then implement anti-ransomware into the anti-malware program when it's fully developed and works correctly.

Y

yigido

Even on the first sample, it failed! Vendors still uses default-allow even against ransomwares..
We have 8 samples. Lets say 7 blocked and 1 of them can run! What happen then? ...?
These kind of softwares are detection based. They detect the "known" ransom techniques...what about "unknowns" ?
Total fail, I will never use, I will never recommend!

by the way, great video as always @cruelsister :)

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
As far as I can remember, a Malwarebytes employee (I think pbust) posted in the other forum that MBAR isn't supposed to be standalone because sooner or later it will be incorporated in the anti-malware version, on which it would complement the anti-malware engine.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
For fun and context the highlights of a little agitated discussion at Wilders Security forum

cruelsister said:
Currently MBAR is nothing more than a rebranded CryptoMonitor (unsurprising as it is coded by the same person), and is about the worst choice that can be made when selecting specific antiransomware protection as it does not come close to HMPA, WAR, or even the native ransomware protection of BitDefender in actually protecting a system.

ZeroVulnLabs (MalwareBytes) said:
The actual code does not have a single line of code from CryptoMonitor and was developed from scratch. The comment about HMPA, WAR or BitDefender, if you actually knew what you were talking about you'd be laughing at your own comments. MBAM-ARW is much more advanced than any of those.

cruelsister said:
My comments were just about MBAR and its inferiority to other products that are specific for, or have modules specific to stop ransomware. Even a cursory test will quickly demonstrate that MBAR as currently coded will be outperformed.

DecrypterFixer (MalwareBytes) said:
Since you like to do these types of tests, I would encourage you to preform this "cursory test" with the latest version of MBARW :) It would be very informative to everyone here, and i think you will be quite surprised with how well it does.

When I read the "if you actually knew what you were talking about" response, I expected a fierce response (from cruelsister), but she obviously does not get mad, she gets even. At Malware Bytes they probably have figured out why cruelsister uses that nickname.

Luckily for MalwareBytes the Wilders Security and MalwareTips forums only have few active members since Cuelsister's informative video's useally have less than 700 views on Youtube. So for MalwareBytes this blooper is commercially just a storm in a glass of water.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.