New Update Malwarebytes Extension for Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
5.1 MB!
- probably works with signatures... I prefer heuristics engine, which works effectively (seen several times!) of great "Browser JSGuard" (and for Firefox, and for Chrome, but Chrome version of Chrome Store search on Google, download from google link of Chrome Store).
So I have had this Browser JSGuard for 1 year maybe and I trust it.
Besides, there are already some extensions that work with signatures, but this doesn't interest me.
So Malwarebytes proposal came out a little late (in addition it's very heavy!).
They put it in Firefox yesterday, so for now no users, no reviews...
On my FF 55 Nightly, "it appears to be corrupt", no possibility to download then...
If someone could do the test, comparison of this add-on and Browser JSGuard - this would be interesting...

PS. Some pearls from Malwarebytes 1.0.4 Source Code License:
Malwarebytes Software License Agreement:
.".. From time-to-time, Malwarebytes, at its sole discretion, may make available to you optional Software...
Optional Items are not fully tested by Malwarebytes and may include significant issues...."

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Interesting addon but it can be useful in a few cases.
If someone is on W10 in my opinion he/she doesn't need it.
Because if there is a 3rd party security software installed free or paid Smart Screen is doing already a decent job.
If someone is using for example W7 like myself there will be a security software installed.
Most of them these days and by most i mean free antivirus offer web protection so you don't need this addon.
You may need it if for example you have MSE or Avira Free installed.
Just my opinion

Last edited:

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My first impression was very bad, regarding the add-on size (+5MiB).

However, my second impression changed when I tested both, performance and detection. Compared to other similar add-ons (Bitdefender, Norton, Avast, Qihoo etc), Malwarebytes in my tests performed better.
Don't expect 100% detection or zero impact performance. All security layer is imperfect. But so far, Malwarebytes seems to me the best add-on in its kind.

The "advertising/tracker protection" was very interesting, definitely a competitive differential with similar add-ons.
And compared to other dedicated tracking blockers, in blocked quantity Malwarebytes performed equal or even better (the only problem is quality, there is not info about what is blocked).
Most important, Malwarebytes is the first tracking blocker not showing redundant info with other add-ons. For example, I use UMatrix, and when UMatrix is "on" or "off", the number of trackers blocked by Malwarebytes change. Very nice indeed.

I would like to see in next versions, details about what the add-on detects (malwares) or blocks (trackers).

Also, I would like to see a better description of the add-on, with more info about how it works (cloud scanning?, behavior scanning?, real-time scanning?, etc?). The same for the tracking blocker, I would like info about what is and what is not blocked. And more info about privacy and what is collected by the add-on, also will be more than welcome.

PS to @Prorootect: As you, I also use JSGUARD, an excellent add-on. However, JSGUARD is limited to detect only malicious java scripts. It will never detect fake-pages, or malicious files downloaded, or scams etc. JSGUARD is an excellent complement for other security layers. By the way, Malwarebytes add-on sadly didn't detect in my tests malicious scripts. But I never saw similar add-ons (Bitdefender, Avast, Norton, Qihoo etc) detecting malicious scripts. Even Bitdefender arguing to scan with heuristics or behavior etc, never detected what JSGUARD detected.

PS2: Lot of people in the web saying it could be a fake add-on.
Better to uninstall it immediately!... and to wait for an official announcement from Malwarebytes.

Last edited:

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
@Decopi have you tested Avira Browser Safety add-on? It can also block ads,trackers,malicious sites & downloads.

Yep, I tested AVIRA add-on (I am an AVIRA' beta tester).
The malware detection was not good in my tests.
And the trackers blocker idem... a very regular one (I preferred the FF built-in option than AVIRA).
Most important, AVIRA add-on affected a lot browser performance.

I am not a computer security expert.
All I can do is to share my personal experience.
In this context, for me Bitdefender add-on was the best in both detection/performance... until Malwarebytes add-on.

I did test Malwarebytes a lot, and for me so far it has the best detection and performance.
Again, it is not 100% perfect. I am just saying that in comparison with similar add-ons, for me Malwarebytes seems the best.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
This add-on has been removed by its author. :confused:

upload_2018-1-13_11-54-45.png

Indeed, the add-on has been removed by its author. Perhaps not so much a Beta, but an Alpha stages and had some problems? Not sure, but still a intersting find @Faybert . Makes one wonder...

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Maybe works .. but not defend against: redirections, ads, confirm alert modal windows, overlay pop-ups, .gifs...
- surely would defend against malicious links, I think.
What is "deceptive advertising'?
Could you test it against malware?

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Interesting, thanks for posting. It would be nice to know why Malwarebytes would go this direction. Didn't expect anything free from the company since 3.0 was released.

What do you guys view as the best standard combination of extensions for browser protection? uBlock seems good enough in its caveat as an ad blocker, but what about protection against drive by scripts, redirects and so? This kind of has me second guessing what to do. I guess I was already, considering I have ScriptSafe and Privacy Badger for now. ScriptSafe is basically a nightmare to use, because there isn't any knowledge built into the blocks, and I visit a large number of sites. Everything is blocked w/SS as it is done with NoScript.

I think what I would like is something like uBlock and then maybe like this new Malwarebytes extension. But then the Qihoo extension is already there and its safe mode for banking and shopping. The idea of a massive set of straight known bad IP blocks appeals to me...Bitdefender and Emsisoft seem to be doing a great job with this I guess from their cloud connections. Then there is ESET's smart wall (Bitdefender IS too). How does one achieve system-wide ESET type background monitoring and firewalling from extensions and whatever else...smart-walling not block everything?

I have Comodo Firewall by the way. It's not smart walling...just choose with very little respect for the difference between system and user applications. System application rules would have more configurations with the firewall and receive a higher degree of attention for monitoring and blocking IPs and so on for me to call CF smart-walling. Also, there would be some indication of what application initialized each system connection.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
It also blocks ads (y)

Hmm, not all, I see...

This is Policy Control which blocks ads on these websites, not Malwarebytes:
FastPic — быстрый и бесплатный хостинг картинок / загрузить картинку, фото, изображение
Javascript redirect URL
GISMETEO.RU: Новости погоды. Свежие новости погоды в России и мире. Погодные новости дня.

"Gif blocker" blocks these .gifs... not Malwarebytes:
ورزش سه | مرجع اخبار ورزشی به زبان فارسی

Then this "example popup" (hmm not the true pop-up...) and overlay - not blocked by Malwarebytes:
Welcome - Poper Blocker

Then these ADWARE on links at the top of this page are not blocked by Malwarebytes - but by Redirect Control or Skip Redirect (be careful ...):
hxxps://watchfree.ws/watchfree-movies-online

so then wake-up Malwarebytes...

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Hmm, not all, I see...

This is Policy Control which blocks ads on these websites, not Malwarebytes:
FastPic — быстрый и бесплатный хостинг картинок / загрузить картинку, фото, изображение
Javascript redirect URL
GISMETEO.RU: Новости погоды. Свежие новости погоды в России и мире. Погодные новости дня.

"Gif blocker" blocks these .gifs... not Malwarebytes:
ورزش سه | مرجع اخبار ورزشی به زبان فارسی

Then this "example popup" (hmm not the true pop-up...) and overlay - not blocked by Malwarebytes:
Welcome - Poper Blocker

Then these ADWARE on links at the top of this page are not blocked by Malwarebytes - but by Redirect Control or Skip Redirect (be careful ...):
hxxps://watchfree.ws/watchfree-movies-online

so then wake-up Malwarebytes...
Yes you are right, they are not all but some it blocks, it is not complete like uBlock Origin and others but it blocks some.

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
@AtlBo,

Comodo Firewall with CruelSister' settings worked for me as the most complete off-line security solution.
I don't use another antivirus/antimalware. I don't even use Windows Defender.

However for browsing, I do use on-line protection:
1) UMatrix globally allowing just CSS and Images. This configuration breaks almost nothing, and blocks 90% of the ads, trackers and malicious stuff (java scripts etc). I don't use hosts.
2) When I need to unblock webpages or to allow unknown scripts, I use this new Malwarebytes add-on. I tested lot of other similar add-ons, and "in comparison" Malwarebytes for me is the best in terms of protection/performance (despite its +5MiB).
3) I also use Decentraleyes, and a couple of very lightweight add-ons (popup-blocker and URL garbage remover/skipper).

I chose this off-line/on-line security combo never looking for perfection, but always looking for the best balanced equation between protection & performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.