Battle Malwarebytes vs SAS vs Hitman Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Since I'm noticing a lack of these types of polls, I wanted to be the first one to compare today's most popular on-demand scanners, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, SUPER Antispyware and Hitman Pro, cast your votes.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Don't really use any extra on-demand scanners on my own systems since I never get infections. My brain and Avast pretty much gets everything.

But when it comes to removing malware from my customers systems, I prefer MBAM since the majority of malware infections are rogue security applications.

Most Anti-virus software have problems detecting rogue applications.

MBAM scans quickly and can remove almost all of the rogue applications that other scanners can't detect.

Of coarse MBAM doesn't detect many viruses, trojans, worms, etc. but is excellent for rogue applications.

SAS is also good at detecting malware but most of the time doesn't detect the latest rogueware.

To me, Hitman Pro is a joke. It only scans running processes not your complete system. So if you're infection with a worm or trojan, it doesn't detect it like other scanners. Also has high false positives and is NOT free.

Much better to use an online scanner like Symantec Security Check, F-Secure Online Virus Scanner, BitDefender Online Scanner, Trend Micro Housecall, Panda ActiveScan, etc. They offer free removal at no costs and will scan your complete system.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
:eek:fftopic:
ESET Online Scanner can be left installed on your computer if you download the non-IE/ActiveX version. :)

Mark

Apr 22, 2011
Littlebits said:
So if you're infection with a worm or trojan, it doesn't detect it like other scanners.
Have you personally experienced this much?

Hitman Pro can, at least, detect and remove some of the above:
Build 115 (2010-09-11)

• Contains complete removal of 'Here You Have' worm.
Build 110 (2010-08-21)

• Removes new variant of Bamital/Drooptroop trojan that is infecting explorer.exe and winlogon.exe or wininit.exe.
Build 104 (2010-06-21)

• Improved removal of Trojans and Rootkits that are protected by a Kernel thread.
http://www.surfright.nl/en/whatsnew

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Mark said:
Littlebits said:
So if you're infection with a worm or trojan, it doesn't detect it like other scanners.
Have you personally experienced this much?

Hitman Pro can, at least, detect and remove some of the above:
Build 115 (2010-09-11)

• Contains complete removal of 'Here You Have' worm.
Build 110 (2010-08-21)

• Removes new variant of Bamital/Drooptroop trojan that is infecting explorer.exe and winlogon.exe or wininit.exe.
Build 104 (2010-06-21)

• Improved removal of Trojans and Rootkits that are protected by a Kernel thread.
http://www.surfright.nl/en/whatsnew

Yes I experienced this on some of my customers systems but on my own systems.
Sometimes even when Hitman Pro detects these types of malwares, it still can't remove them completely. Removal sometimes requires a system reboot, advanced malware can tell when they are marked for deletion and reproduce to another location on your system. If Hitman Pro was able to do a complete system scan, then this wouldn't happen, but it only scans active processes.

Maybe that is why they also sale Emsisoft Anti-Malware, G Data and Prevx from their homepage. They are complete system scanners and malware removers.
http://www.surfright.nl/en/shop/

That's why I see no reason to buy or recommend Hitman Pro, when you still have to use another product to completely remove malware.

Thanks.:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I don't know Littebits, I think you are underestimating HMP. I mean,
it has never detected anything on my computer but the program
does excellent if you have infected executables on your hard drive.
My vote, my opinion is for MBAM but HMP is an excellent program
to be run on infected computers. It makes a good companion for
Malwarebytes.
I like HMP because its very quick and most likely it will find something
if your PC is infected.
The 30 days start running after you clean up the first infection.
Since I have never used HMP to clean anything, on my PC, HMP
its as good today as when it got installed a while back.

Personally, I don't like scans. On my PC they never find anything
but I am very happy that I know that I can trust the results from
MBAM and HMP better than other scanners. The scans being very
fast, is the icing on the cake.

Bo

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have retired SAS. I am content with HitManPro and MBAM. After Spybot S+D completes their revised product, I will use their on-demand scanner to replace SAS.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
ZOU1 said:
I have retired SAS. I am content with HitManPro and MBAM. After Spybot S+D completes their revised product, I will use their on-demand scanner to replace SAS.
I still install/run (using Time Freeze) SAS once with every new version
and then its gone till next version. I already tried the SAS 5 Beta, its
a lot faster. I like SAS.

Bo

amazingAG

Jun 1, 2011
Definitely Mbam is on top of the tree. But mbam's realtime protection is bit too strict for my liking and does conflict with some security suits. As an on demand scanner it is definitely very good. I am also using zemana antimalware, which is actually HMP rebranded, as my second choice scanner.

D

Deleted member 178

Jack said:
The great thing about on demand scanners is that you can have more than one installed on your system. :D ...

+ 1, i agree !

My top for on-demand scanners :

1. Comodo Cleaning Essential
2. MBAM
3. Hitman Pro
4. Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Every week, i launch MBAM, EAM and now HMP (instead of SAS); my first is CCE because it use Comodo AV with CAMAS, but for the poll, MBAM is the one i launch most of the time outside my scheduled scans.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Having dropped SAS, in favour for MBAM. More recently, that applies for HMP too.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the only on-demand scanner that I use. See here.

Since I am running no realtime protection, I do use VirusTotal Shell Uploader for the odd .exe download.

Note: I also use ESET Online Scanner, which can remove/quarantine threats for free. (+1 Bonus). :D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Earth said:
Having dropped SAS, in favour for MBAM. More recently, that applies for HMP too.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the only on-demand scanner that I use. See here.

Since I am running no realtime protection, I do use VirusTotal Shell Uploader for the odd .exe download.

Note: I also use ESET Online Scanner, which can remove/quarantine threats for free. (+1 Bonus). :D
Earth, I am pretty much doing it like you are doing it with respect to scanners, except that I dropped all of them.:D I got none installed on my computer at this moment. Feels great.:cool:

Now, whenever I ll want to run a scan, I will run one or more of HMP, MBAM and if I don't mind spending 35 minutes babysitting the computer for a scan, I ll run Eset online Scanner. Scanners are installed while using my system virtualization application, Wondershare TimeFreeze.

Bo

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is one of my favorite removal tools and same goes for SAS and HMP. SAS tends to find less malware though so MBAM and HMP are better in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.