Lightning_Brian

Level 14
Verified
Content Creator
I really like Macrium Reflect couple that with viBoot and you got yourself a solid backup solution there!

Link to viBoot: Macrium Software | Macrium viBoot

Great information can be found here: Macrium viBoot - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

If you are a home user this is a powerful too. Even in corporate use this tool is super amazing as it allows you so much flexibility for testing. Simply amazing.

I agree with @shmu26 the free version is far less buggy than the paid version right now from what I am seeing. I only use the free version, but I have friends who use the paid version. My friends always comment on how I have less issues with the free than they do with the paid.

Thanks for posting the updates @ticklemefeet !

~Brian

Vasudev

Level 30
Verified
In my case 1809 wrecked even MR boot menu and even had problems with boot via WinPE, but somehow I managed to restore MR 1803 image.
Always keep a copy of HBCD PE on your USB drive, it uses free version of MR. I always use that. With Windows I've zero trust because a random update from MSFT will kill everything.

shmu26

Level 84
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Always keep a copy of HBCD PE on your USB drive, it uses free version of MR. I always use that. With Windows I've zero trust because a random update from MSFT will kill everything.
Besides making a Macrium Reflect CD or flash drive, you can also add the recovery environment to your boot menu. This is particularly convenient, because you don't have to go fumbling for your flash drive (which you might have already overwritten with something else) and also because it gives you easy access to the Windows recovery environment, as well.
From this boot entry, you can make full, differential and incremental backups, you can restore backups, and you can mount backup images in order to browse them and retrieve files.
You can also repair boot problems.

Vasudev

Level 30
Verified
Besides making a Macrium Reflect CD or flash drive, you can also add the recovery environment to your boot menu. This is particularly convenient, because you don't have to go fumbling for your flash drive (which you might have already overwritten with something else) and also because it gives you easy access to the Windows recovery environment, as well.
From this boot entry, you can make full, differential and incremental backups, you can restore backups, and you can mount backup images in order to browse them and retrieve files.
You can also repair boot problems.
I always carry a flash drive with me so I'm used to it.

R2D2

Level 4
Besides making a Macrium Reflect CD or flash drive, you can also add the recovery environment to your boot menu. This is particularly convenient,
I agree, I've been using it for years. Sure beats pressing the F8 BIOS boot select key (with an Asus board) to select the flash drive. The recovery environment automatically shows up as a System Startup option every time I boot the PC. This option is recommended for the sheer convenience it offers.

The USB does duty only when I need to secure erase the SSD and restore the OS using a Reflect image.

shmu26

Level 84
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I agree, I've been using it for years. Sure beats pressing the F8 BIOS boot select key (with an Asus board) to select the flash drive. The recovery environment automatically shows up as a System Startup option every time I boot the PC. This option is recommended for the sheer convenience it offers.

The USB does duty only when I need to secure erase the SSD and restore the OS using a Reflect image.
I use the flash drive also when I borked my boot so bad that I can't even get to the built-in recovery environment. This happened to me recently when setting up a dual boot with Linux.