Comodo Firewall with default settings
Avira Free Antivirus
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebyte's Antimalware
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox with following extensions: AdBlock Plus, WOT, Bitdefender TrafficLight, BetterPrivacy
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner, MyDefrag
File and Photo backup
Windows Backup
System recovery
Windows Backup

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Okay then, if your worried about it since I guess it's free and password I guess don't match. The other one I would suggest that you could use (beware this one you have to pay for) Trend Micro Direct Pass. I use that since it comes with the latest Trend. :)

EDIT: You get Free (No expiration, manage up to 5 passwords) with the free version of Direct Pass.

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
McLovin said:
Okay then, if your worried about it since I guess it's free and password I guess don't match. The other one I would suggest that you could use (beware this one you have to pay for) Trend Micro Direct Pass. I use that since it comes with the latest Trend. :)

EDIT: You get Free (No expiration, manage up to 5 passwords) with the free version of Direct Pass.

May I ask you how that software works?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Mark69 said:

Basically the same as Lastpass. You type a password into a website and instead of Firefox/Internet Explorer/Google Chrome or whatever browser you use to make them remember the password Lastpass and Direct Pass does it for you. It's much easier if you are not that good at remembering password or are to lazy to type them in all the time (cough, that one might be me :p ).

Reason I said Direct Pass, is because if your unsure about using it from a company that you haven't heard of, Trend Micro should be your alternative.

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
McLovin said:
Mark69 said:

Basically the same as Lastpass. You type a password into a website and instead of Firefox/Internet Explorer/Google Chrome or whatever browser you use to make them remember the password Lastpass and Direct Pass does it for you. It's much easier if you are not that good at remembering password or are to lazy to type them in all the time (cough, that one might be me :p ).

Reason I said Direct Pass, is because if your unsure about using it from a company that you haven't heard of, Trend Micro should be your alternative.

But is the "section" of lastpass software, where passwords are archived, safely encrypted in order to avoid third parties to either steal or access them from outside?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Mark69 said:
But is the "section" of lastpass software, where passwords are archived, safely encrypted in order to avoid third parties to either steal or access them from outside?

Yes, that is correct. No third parties can access the passwords.

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
So guys what do you think about my config?

Do you think it is solid?

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
McLovin said:
Only thing now (since I've read an article) that you can add to your browser, HTTPS Everywhere.

It is an extension that I considered time ago but, for some reason, I have not yet installed.
I just did that.

P

Plexx

The only suggestion is remove Ghostery since you already have ABP. That aside, what version of Comodo Firewall you are using/? 5.10 or 5.12?

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Biozfear said:
The only suggestion is remove Ghostery since you already have ABP. That aside, what version of Comodo Firewall you are using/? 5.10 or 5.12?

Hi Biozfear,

so ABP should be the way to go, if compared to Ghostery?

I am running Comodo Firelwall 5.12

P

Plexx

Mark69 said:
Hi Biozfear,

I previously ran both Ghost and ABP. Eventually I saw a post from HeffeD sharing his experience with ABP and Ghost, so I payed close attention and indeed made it obsolete.

Also saved some more ram by running one less extension :)

Edit: If you want you may give CIS 6 a spin as it has a full virtualization mode (Kiosk), for your banking needs if you are concerned at any stage. Other vendors that have similar feature would be paid solutions such as BitDefender 2013 (Safe Pay) and Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 (Safe Money).

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Biozfear said:
Mark69 said:
Hi Biozfear,

I previously ran both Ghost and ABP. Eventually I saw a post from HeffeD sharing his experience with ABP and Ghost, so I payed close attention and indeed made it obsolete.

Also saved some more ram by running one less extension :)

Edit: If you want you may give CIS 6 a spin as it has a full virtualization mode (Kiosk), for your banking needs if you are concerned at any stage. Other vendors that have similar feature would be paid solutions such as BitDefender 2013 (Safe Pay) and Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 (Safe Money).

So you are taking about not just the Comodo Firewall version, but the "full" Internet Security version instead, right?

This way I should uninstall Avast antivirus I guess. But looking at several tests ran on the Antivirus part of the Comodo Suite it seems that it is not so well permorning.

What do you think?

D

Deleted member 178

Mark69 said:
This way I should uninstall Avast antivirus I guess. But looking at several tests ran on the Antivirus part of the Comodo Suite it seems that it is not so well permorning.

remember that Comodo FW uses the cloud and help the HIPS in case of infection, but the HIPS can only block the malware, it can't remove it without the AV part.

i never ran Comodo FW alone, only the full suite, and with v6 , the AV got better.

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Mark69 said:

remember that Comodo FW uses the cloud and help the HIPS in case of infection, but the HIPS can only block the malware, it can't remove it without the AV part.

i never ran Comodo FW alone, only the full suite, and with v6 , the AV got better.

Hi Umbra Corp.

so in your opinion is CIS 6 worth? I mean repleacing Comodo Firewall 5.12 + Avast Antivirus with CIS 6 ?

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Mark69 said:
Umbra Corp. said:
Mark69 said:

Hi Umbra Corp.

so in your opinion is CIS 6 worth? I mean repleacing Comodo Firewall 5.12 + Avast Antivirus with CIS 6 ?

For some reason I missed the last line of your message Umbra :blush:
Ok ... I could give CIS 6 a try...but just one question...where can I find a full comprehensive guide about how to configure CIS6 for best protection?

P

Plexx

Comodo AV detection rate ain't as bad as it used to be nor the False Positives increased.

Comodo focuses more on prevention than detection, whilst keeping a balance on Detection.

Version 6 has some improvements on some modules such as scan speed, incorporation of Killswitch and Autorun Analyzer, as well new features.

If you briefly look at my config at this post, you will have some recommendations.

On a side note, despite I never included Comodo for gamer only system, I am using CIS 5.10 but then again EVE Online (mainly this one) does not require any tweaking to be fully operational.

D

Deleted member 178

wait a bit Chiron has not done it yet, it will be posted here soon

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Ok guys,

so...after installing CIS 6 and uninstalling Avast antivirus...what about my overall security config? How does it look like?

D

Deleted member 178

since you have CIS (HIPS) you can remove Zemana (HIPS) too, CIS protect against keyloggers too

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.