Comodo Firewall with default settings
Avira Free Antivirus
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebyte's Antimalware
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox with following extensions: AdBlock Plus, WOT, Bitdefender TrafficLight, BetterPrivacy
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner, MyDefrag
File and Photo backup
Windows Backup
System recovery
Windows Backup

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Just a question, when checking emails, do you use a browser to check it, or a program like, Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook?

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Biozfear said:
Comodo AV detection rate ain't as bad as it used to be nor the False Positives increased.

Comodo focuses more on prevention than detection, whilst keeping a balance on Detection.

Version 6 has some improvements on some modules such as scan speed, incorporation of Killswitch and Autorun Analyzer, as well new features.

If you briefly look at my config at this post, you will have some recommendations.

On a side note, despite I never included Comodo for gamer only system, I am using CIS 5.10 but then again EVE Online (mainly this one) does not require any tweaking to be fully operational.

Umbra Corp. said:
since you have CIS (HIPS) you can remove Zemana (HIPS) too, CIS protect against keyloggers too

I just updated my config :)

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
McLovin said:
Just a question, when checking emails, do you use a browser to check it, or a program like, Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook?

I do use a browser to check e-mails (always the Firefox one). I have two accounts, a Gmail one and an Hotmail one.

For both I tried to achieve the highest security settings available, for the Hotmail one, for example, I have the https connection all the time.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Mark69 said:
I do use a browser to check e-mails (always the Firefox one). I have two accounts, a Gmail one and an Hotmail one.

For both I tried to achieve the highest security settings available, for the Hotmail one, for example, I have the https connection all the time.

Ahh, okay that was going to be my next question. If you had a secure connection while emailing. Plus Gmail uses a secure connection, which is good. :)

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
McLovin said:
Mark69 said:

Ahh, okay that was going to be my next question. If you had a secure connection while emailing. Plus Gmail uses a secure connection, which is good. :)

;):)

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Hi guys,

I just updated my config, as regards the Addons of Firefox.

Well, the problem I am facing is that since when I updated Firefox to 19 version, the browser keeps on freezing all the time, and once opening up task manager, the related process occupies something like 250Mb memory!

The browser is slow and once each couple of minutes it freezes.

How can I fix this problem? Shall i switch to either Explorer or Chrome?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Having the memory usage around that size should be okay. As you see I currently having it sitting around 850MB so what you have yours at should be that bad.

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Hi guys what about my new config?

I am some doubtful about Avira antivirus together wit Comodo Firewall.

The very weak protection of Avira against 0-day threats, just to quote the most evident weakness of this program, makes me a little bit doubtful about it.

I tried the trial version of Bitdefender Total Security and theonly result ha been to se my PC as slow as I never saw it before....Internet connection was like freezed.....after unistalling all these problems just disappeared...very weird.

What kind of Antivirus would you suggest me to combine with Comodo?

I was also thinking about ZoneAlarm as a Comodo replacement but....is it worth?

Reactions: Ink
F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Looks good! Try to add another on-demand scanner (ZAL, Hitmanpro) and remove WOT, as you already have Bitdefender Traffic Light.

Remove Adblock Plus and add Ublock Origin; more customizable, far lighter, blocks trackers, malware and phishing protection (uses about a third of the ram), and can add custom filters.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Config looks good! If your looking to change Avira I personally like the AVAST Free with Windows Firewall combination.
If your looking for paid solutions there are many options available.
Thanks for sharing the update to your config :)

Mark69

Thread author
Verified
Dec 16, 2012
Exterminator,
I followed your suggestion and....I just installed Avast Free with Windows Firewall combination ;):)
Both software are installed with their own default settings....
I forgot to underline I am behind a Router (Netgear AC 750 Wifi DSL Router).
I use to connect to my online banking account to check my account and sometimes to make some money transfers through the site of my bank (small amounts)...and sometimes I use to purchase something through Internet with my Credit Card...(ehm....sometimes I also download some movie through Torrent...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)...do you think my setup is ok to provide me with a solid protection?

Last edited:

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
I use to connect to my online banking account to check my account and sometimes to make some money transfers through the site of my bank (small amounts)...and sometimes I use to purchase something through Internet with my Credit Card...
Try something like HitmanPro.Alert to encrypt your keypresses.

(ehm....sometimes I also download some movie through Torrent...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)...do you think my setup is ok to provide me with a solid protection?
You can use a VPN to protect yourself from tracking, take a look at F-Secure Freedome VPN or Windscribe VPN.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast Free Antivirus comes with SafeZone browser that (should) activate under Bank Mode when a protected site is visited (ie. Financial sites). This will prevent keyloggers including screen capture from stealing sensitive data.

SafeZone browser has 2 modes: Standard and Pay/Bank Mode.
- standard mode of SafeZone is Chrome with Avast extensions only.
- bank mode is isolated

If you sign up for Windscribe VPN, expect a lot of irritating Emails with cheesy GIF messages. You cannot unsubscribe to this mail list, unless you request your account to be deleted. Another option is to use an email address you don't use often for Windscribe VPN.

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
If you sign up for Windscribe VPN, expect a lot of irritating Emails with cheesy GIF messages. You cannot unsubscribe to this mail list, unless you request your account to be deleted. Another option is to use an email address you don't use often for Windscribe VPN.
I agree with the cheesy GIF messages, but as for the frequency, I only receive emails once a month to tell me that my bandwidth has reset. Could it be your email settings?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.