Battle MBAM Pro or MSE..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Bone

Thread author
May 28, 2011
You have one choice, and one choice only.:cool: Would you use MBAM Pro or MSE as your ONLY real time malware protection?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I vote MBAM. However malwarebytes stressed that it should not be used as your only protection. Honnestly, Just do MSE+MBAM.
But since you asked, here is the reason why I choose MBAM:

MBAM - Easy to use, Light, Great Detection/Prevention, Features (Chameleon, heuristics, File Assassin), Web Blocking.
Cons: Web Blocking causes FPs, Paid.

MSE: Easy to Use, Install and Forget, Very Light.
Cons: Poor Detection, No Prevention, Lacks features, Slow Scanning.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Are you kidding? Being facetious? Kaspersky could retool MSE and I would still go with MBAM Pro.

MSE is so far gone I would use MBAM Pro all by it's lonesome if MSE was the only other tool I had to choose from. Yes, MSE is free, but it would be like SuperAntiSpyware realtime--USELESS.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
If I was using an antivirus and had to choose beteeen MBAM and MSE, I would choose MSE. MBAM might be the best on demand scanner against malware that is not usually detected by antiviruses but it would miss a lot of the viruses that Malwarebyte expect antiviruses to detect. There are more of the latter than the former. Malwarebytes should not be used instead of a complete antivirus, IMO.

Bo

D Bone

Thread author
May 28, 2011
bo.elam said:
If I was using an antivirus and had to choose beteeen MBAM and MSE, I would choose MSE. MBAM might be the best on demand scanner against malware that is not usually detected by antiviruses but it would miss a lot of the viruses that Malwarebyte expect antiviruses to detect. There are more of the latter than the former. Malwarebytes should not be used instead of a complete antivirus, IMO.

Bo

Interesting view..........

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
D Bone said:
Interesting view..........

At the Malwarebytes forum, they view MBAM as... " MBAM is a complementary anti malware solution to a fully installed anti virus application".

Also:

"NO, MBAM is an excellent security program, but it is NOT an antivirus.
Nor is it intended to replace one.
Rather, it is designed to provide layered, complementary protection alongside a standard, robust AV".

I take their word.;)

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=98097&view=findpost&p=487311

Bo

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
MBAM might be the best on demand scanner against malware that is not usually detected by antiviruses but it would miss a lot of the viruses that Malwarebyte expect antiviruses to detect

I can live with that assessment. That being said, MSE's failure rates are so ridiculous that I would still go with MBAM Pro.
You are making a great point though, because these days AV's detect a whole slew of stuff (unlike the old days where it was mostly virus and worm detection only), where MBAM really does seem to stick to detecting mostly rootkits, and trojans.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I like MBAM but I have to agree that to be used as your only line of defense....No.That is not to say MSE would be my choice either.I almost think I might take my chances and roll the bones on MBAM Pro.

This is fitting of a good War Room battle though because you still have to make a choice.If I had an Antivirus program already installed hands down MBAM Pro or Free.

But given the 2 choices I would have to say MSE because it is an Antivirus program.But you can bet I would be scouring the globe for another solution.

Would have been much easier had you pitted MBAM Pro vs. Windows Defender

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Gnosis said:
That being said, MSE's failure rates are so ridiculous that I would still go with MBAM Pro.

In my opinion, MSE is underrated. Anytime that I install an AV in a friend or relative, I install MSE. My friends dont get infected despite using MSE.

A few months ago when I bought my W7, a friend of mine also purchased one. Same model as mine. The shop gave us a 1 year license for ESET antivirus. I know ESET is great but in my friends computer, I didn't ponder about it and installed MSE and SBIE. Even though he knows nothing about nothing related to security, he is not getting infected. Let me add, that computer is a family computer. Thats how good I know MSE is, specially if run along SBIE.

Bo

D Bone

Thread author
May 28, 2011
The previous comments are exactly why I made this thread. Do you use the very well respected MBAM Pro, even though it's designers say it shouldn't be used as a stand alone anti-malware product, but may just be good enough to do so, or do you roll with a product that is made by the maker of your OS and is supposed to protect you from all types of malware, but yet seems to struggle in the real world.......................It's like that sad, tear jerking movie, D Bone's Choice. ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bo.elam said:
Gnosis said:
That being said, MSE's failure rates are so ridiculous that I would still go with MBAM Pro.

In my opinion, MSE is underrated. Anytime that I install an AV in a friend or relative, I install MSE. My friends dont get infected despite using MSE.

A few months ago when I bought my W7, a friend of mine also purchased one. Same model as mine. The shop gave us a 1 year license for ESET antivirus. I know ESET is great but in my friends computer, I didn't ponder about it and installed MSE and SBIE. Even though he knows nothing about nothing related to security, he is not getting infected. Let me add, that computer is a family computer. Thats how good I know MSE is, specially if run along SBIE.

Bo

I do agree MSE is very under-rated, many of my customers use it and never get infections. Just like Bo pointed out, MBAM is not a full antivirus, it only detects what other miss, mostly rogue security products, ramsomware, fake alerts, zero-day, etc. which can be avoided by watching what you download. MSE provides protection against the most common malware that are most likely infect users without them knowing about it. So MSE would be the better choice if you only could choose one or the other. However it is best to use a layer of security products like both together.

Enjoy!!:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Given the 2 choices you have to go with MSE just for the fact it is an Antivirus program.I also agree that MSE is underrated.People have to remember though that your online practices and things that you download have a big effect on your chances of getting infected.I prefer other products but that is my opinion and doesnt make MSE bad.Iam sure for some home users MSE works absolutely fine.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Gnosis said:
I don't doubt what you are saying, but Sandboxie could easily be given most of the credit when the two are used in tandem.

That is true but most people only use Sandboxie part of the time. For those users you need an antivirus. MSE is a good choice.

Bo

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Gnosis said:
MSE's failure rates are so ridiculous

Gnosis said:
Yes, MSE is free, but it would be like SuperAntiSpyware realtime--USELESS.

Agreed completely, MSE is extremely useless and you'd be better off using an outdated version of McAfee, I would never install MSE on a computer illiterate PC like my grand parents for example, MSE is too hard to understand and I do not recommend it, Also if any testing firm like AV-C says it performs bad you must believe it because it's entirely true!!1!1!! Heil AV-C, VB etc! and down with MSE!11!! /s

Jokes aside I've chosen MSE for my reasons stated here.

For a real life situation tho I use MSE along with MBAM and HMP as secondary opinion scanners, you can see my full configuration here where MSE does me just fine in my chosen setup.

Thanks ye' old bugger :)

D

Deleted member 178

OMG, 12 people think that MBAM Pro is a standalone AV !!!! even the developers highly recommend to use it alongside a real AV (MBAM is the perfect companion AV and was not designed to be used alone)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
OMG,
12 people think that MBAM Pro is a standalone AV

I don't think that at all. I just think that MSE stinks so bad that I would use MBAM Pro if it and MSE were the only tools available and you could only use one of the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZtkuO00HFY

It only did 8 out of 10, but I bet MSE would have done no better, or worse.

Threatfire is not supposed to be a stand alone solution either, but you better believe I would use it before fooling with MSE. I downloaded MSE a couple of years ago, and i took it back off my PC before the day was up. That is how little I liked it. I have never been that hasty with other legit products. It reminded me of Ad-Aware realtime, if there were such a thing; sluggish, RAM hog, slowed boot time considerably, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.