Advice Request McAfee Endpoint Security discussion (moved thread)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Why choose this over default Windows Defender?

@Souldbound McAfee Endpoint takes too much resources with no apperant advantage over KSC Free.
on a fully fledge gaming system, Endpoint impact is minimal. Sure, some other solutions will be even lighter, but I dont need to actually log into another system, use an admin account and maintain such system.

I have enough systems as it is to maintain.

Reactions: Nevi

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Remote administration is an advantage of the Endpoint Security, but I believe this is why they simplified their home products as much as possible (for example av has no settings whatsoever, you can only turn it off and exclude a file), so no management will be needed.
to be fair ES default settings are good enough. I mainly applied a few small tweaks and configured exclusions for game folders, thats all, but yeah managing via ePO is a godsend.

Reactions: Nevi and KonradPL

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
@Soulbound Do you have any suggestions to tweak MES to perform better? I remember it using so much RAM. I'm now currently downloading it from comss.ru link, it will install the unmanaged version without time limit, right?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Soulbound Do you have any suggestions to tweak MES to perform better? I remember it using so much RAM. I'm now currently downloading it from comss.ru link, it will install the unmanaged version without time limit, right?
comms.ru and tunecom.ru versions are unattended correct but not sure you can update to latest version when they release a new version.
I usually grab the latest version directly from McAfee downloads, since I use ePO.

Default settings are ok for performance. you can look at the following post for a slightly more aggressive protection.

I have it defaults + a few tweaks on access scan and on adaptive module, I have the rule set a tier lower than balanced.

- Misunderstood you and thought you meant security performance.

as for RAM/CPU usage, I never really noticed much of a slowdown however note that I barely do a full scan. When I do, I am doing something else on the system.

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
comms.ru and tunecom.ru versions are unattended correct but not sure you can update to latest version when they release a new version.
I usually grab the latest version directly from McAfee downloads, since I use ePO.
Did you purchased it? How can I directly install the client from ePO as like you do? Also why it says 'trial' at here?

Screenshot_2.png

So I just checked all the 'advanced' settings and changed some of them according to my preference. The only thing left is that being sure that my client is unmanaged, 'full' and updates itself correctly.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Did you purchased it? How can I directly install the client from ePO as like you do? Also why it says 'trial' at here?

So I just checked all the 'advanced' settings and changed some of them according to my preference. The only thing left is that being sure that my client is unmanaged, 'full' and updates itself correctly.
I have access to everything that is under enterprises.
udR7nrxgQg.png

Also, that doesnt seem the latest version that you have installed. check PM both @Nagisa and @McMcbrad

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Note:
This thread was split from McAfee Gamer Security thread in order not to deviate from its discussion, however there are valid points in this thread in relation to McAfee Endpoint Security.

Also, please refer to the following thread for maximum configuration of McAfee Endpoint Security (MES) - Note that my own settings are tailored for my needs, therefore they are not the ones in such thread.

Thanks

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I have recently installed McAfee endpoint security unmanaged on my laptop and need help with the configuration to provide descent security, is there also a way to set the adaptive threat protection to totally block all unknown files and stop them from executing on my pc?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.