Apr 25, 2013
Ashampoo_Snap_2015_08_19_09h55m59s_001_Chrome_Le.jpg

http://beta.mcafee.com/betamcafee/NextGenAVLP.aspx

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I guess I could give it a go. I mean it's kind of useless to me since I get the full Mcafee free from my ISP (Not that I would use that God awful software :D).

I'm curious of it's limitations and if it's full of ads, if any at all?

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
This program can not context scan or scan within the program itself. Just a warning for those interested. It's not implemented yet.

Edit: It appears it can not even scan files just sitting on your hard drive. It seems to scan on execution at this point and even that I can not be sure of (I'm not running malware on host machine). Hope I'm wrong otherwise this is practically an Alpha instead of a Beta....
screenshot_9.png

screenshot_10.png

Last edited:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
It gonna be younger brother of BitDefender free. No options only protection.

Reactions: Piteko21
D

Deleted member 2913

Is it local or cloud AV?

Atleast for now GUI looks clear of ads, etc...

Hope it will give important options/settings.

I wonder the limitations compared to their paid products?

D

Deleted member 2913

The screenshot above mention "updated on..." so any smart local databases/cache like Panda Cloud or Bitdefender free?

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
My thoughts about McAfee Free AV - based on the information and screenshots:
  • UI is similar to F-Secure (in my opinion not good)
  • Basic protection (currently only with few options)
  • Detection powered by cloud (good for detection and resource usage)
  • Freeware (mostly good for home users with basic knowlegde)
  • Currently without ads (but I am sure that this product is soon mainly for advertising purposes)
In my opinion it is a clever strategy by McAfee.

Create a simple product with few options and cloud detection -> gain more users -> more ads for paid products. :D

Regards,
Kardo

D

Deleted member 2913

I read PCMag review of McAfee. It has 12 processes & that too not well protected.

Anyone installed this free...how many processes are there?

McAfee seems just a decent AV. Proactive too is not that good...atleast most of the reviews on the net say so plus FPs prone.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm definitely interested in giving this a spin once the final version is released. It looks very light at first glance but, knowing McAfee's performance, I doubt it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Interesting to see if other paid-only vendors follow Intel Security (McAfee) on this.

Perhaps in the next few Beta releases, Windows 10 will be supported. But as I see it, with Windows 10, McAfee Free Antivirus would be targeting to replace Windows Defender, but not to offer complete protection. Instead users would need to upgrade to McAfee Internet Security, or other paid options.

What I want to know is, does the McAfee Free Antivirus include GTI File Reputation (formally known as Artemis)?

Are there any other links for help files, or information about download size, installation process, memory usage etc.?

Reactions: MrXidus

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I'm definitely interested in giving this a spin once the final version is released. It looks very light at first glance but, knowing McAfee's performance, I doubt it.
They have improved their performance considerably since they were taken over by Intel, even their detection has gotten decent.
I think this will be like Panda, install and forget for most users with basic protection (no WF etc.).

Reactions: OokamiCreed

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I guess I could give it a go. I mean it's kind of useless to me since I get the full Mcafee free from my ISP (Not that I would use that God awful software :D).

I'm curious of it's limitations and if it's full of ads, if any at all?

If you do, let me know how it GOES. lol.
I also can get the full version from my ISP too... and why would we torture our hardware with it?! ;)

The free version I'd be much more likely to use. (If light or effective?) at least free wouldn't be covered in Pro molasses. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.