Advice Request McAfee Gamer Security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jtshadow92

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 17, 2015
I decided to try out McAfee Gamer Security out and see how it performed. McAfee GS doesn't include a firewall, just a basic antivirus and game booster. I will be testing out a few games to how well they perform. Here are a few pictures of the UI:

Attachments

• McAfee Gamer Security 1.PNG
    McAfee Gamer Security 1.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 594
  • McAfee Gamer Security 2.PNG
    McAfee Gamer Security 2.PNG
    62.5 KB · Views: 625
  • McAfee Gamer Security 3.PNG
    McAfee Gamer Security 3.PNG
    57.6 KB · Views: 613
  • McAfee Gamer Security 4.PNG
    McAfee Gamer Security 4.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 617
  • McAfee Gamer Security 5.PNG
    McAfee Gamer Security 5.PNG
    55.6 KB · Views: 604
  • McAfee Gamer Security 6.PNG
    McAfee Gamer Security 6.PNG
    42.8 KB · Views: 585
  • McAfee Gamer Security 7.PNG
    McAfee Gamer Security 7.PNG
    63.2 KB · Views: 606

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PC Gamers shouldn't need to deal with "Game1.exe wants to access port 80" prompts, when they want to just play the game.

Windows Firewall is OK for most people.

Can you elaborate on "basic antivirus"?

jtshadow92

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 17, 2015
PC Gamers shouldn't need to deal with "Game1.exe wants to access port 80" prompts, when they want to just play the game.

Windows Firewall is OK for most people.

Can you elaborate on "basic antivirus"?
Meaning there is no extras besides the features I mentioned. McAfee products usually come with a firewall, quick cleaner and other features.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Meaning there is no extras besides the features I mentioned. McAfee products usually come with a firewall, quick cleaner and other features.
I haven't used McAfee software in 15 years, but looking online, these extra QuickClean features appear to be bloatware for consumers who don't know "How to PC".

Based on your comments about RTP including a Behavioral Blocker, how does that still equate to a Basic AV?

Not having Bitdefender-level of bloatware shouldn't mean it's an Basic AV. It is still a complete AV with minimal baggage that is targeting gamers.

Also, cannot confirm, but I believe MGS was based on the Limited Edition of McAfee Free Antivirus beta.
Web protection belongs to WebAdvisor module which you can download if you wish. Behavior blocker is included with real-time protection :)
You said it can be downloaded if the user wishes... so it's not an optional install in the default installer?
Reason I ask is because Malwarebytes Premium doesn't come bundled with its extension (Malwarebytes Browser Security).

Reactions: Protomartyr

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have tried McAfee Gamer Security and its still subpar in comparison to McAfee Endpoint even if we were to custom install McAfee Endpoint (no firewall, etc).

system impact is literally the same, give or take.

It is for that matter that my son's gaming system runs McAfee Enpoint.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I have tried McAfee Gamer Security and its still subpar in comparison to McAfee Endpoint even if we were to custom install McAfee Endpoint (no firewall, etc).

system impact is literally the same, give or take.

It is for that matter that my son's gaming system runs McAfee Enpoint.
Yeah, but McAfee Endpoint has been designed around 82% of World’s best banks (according to McAfee I can find it if needed) and MSG is designed around a gamer... I see a huge difference lol

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah, but McAfee Endpoint has been designed around 82% of World’s best banks (according to McAfee I can find it if needed) and MSG is designed around a gamer... I see a huge difference lol
yet both have similar impact while endpoint has more security in comparison.

McAfee Endpoint can be customized fully on client base or if you have access to ePO, you can manage via ePO.

Since I have access to any McAfee that is not home editions, I manage my son's one via ePO, though I might switch to MVISION soon.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

yet both have similar impact while endpoint has more security in comparison.

McAfee Endpoint can be customized fully on client base or if you have access to ePO, you can manage via ePO.

Since I have access to any McAfee that is not home editions, I manage my son's one via ePO, though I might switch to MVISION soon.
I know, I am using Endpoint unmanaged client myself, but I am just saying that gamers won’t be interested in configuring 100+ settings and rules, and most likely they won’t be interested in firewall or sandbox either. They just wanna play. Now how effective their game-boosting is, that’s another question. Their LiveSafe and Total Protection also offer CPU-boosting capability (increases the priority of apps you interact with).

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Now how effective their game-boosting is, that’s another question. Their LiveSafe and Total Protection also offer CPU-boosting capability (increases the priority of apps you interact with).
If Liquorix kernel didn't improved my gaming performance when using Linux, I don't think a 3rd party AV can boost your performance more than what your hardware can do.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
afaik from the fine print in the benchmarks of their marketing material, it would help with performance impact while running external software in addition to your games. So things like chorme, discord, etc. If you close those out anyway while you're gaming, you're not likely to see much of a benefit. But it is very lightweight, and non-bloat, which is what was attractive about it to me. Third party firewall is no good for gamers, neither are 99% of the other AV features.

The part that I've always wondered about is how it measures up in detection and protection vs. the other McAfee and non-McAfee av-software. But since almost no one has tested that, it's hard to say.

What I'd like to see them do is take the feature set found in the intelligent standby cleaner list and bundle that into Gamer Security.

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.