McAfee Internet Security 2017 - New version rolling out or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have read several recent articles that McAfee has revamped its IS with a new GUI employing new detection technology.

However, whenever I attempt to install it on one of my PC's, being that I have a 4 year license, the old version with the green border still appears.

For months, McAfee keeps saying they are gradually rolling it out. So far months have past, and nothing has changed.

Is it because the new version is too buggy?

I do not understand the delay. Does anyone know what is going on?
Is there a workaround to force the installation of the new gui?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Hi friend can you try to contact their support?
Did, and they kept saying "will be rolled out gradually". So I have tried installation several times over the course of the last year, and each time the version with the old gui appears.

Reactions: Daljeet

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Not in my case i have livesafe license but i never face GUI problem. Try to contact mcafee support.

Appreciate that but yours is a different product than mine, McAfee Internet Security 2017.

Maybe the revamped engine and gui were designed for LiveSafe alone?

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
Appreciate that but yours is a different product than mine, McAfee Internet Security 2017.

No gui for internet security and livesafe is same.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
2017-09-18 00_32_18-McAfee Internet Security.png

I have tried installing and uninstalling several times in the last few months, and always the old gui installs as you can see above. McAfee tech support is useless and always provides the canned response that the new gui will be rolled out. Moreover, they do not seem to have an offline installer for the new MIS.

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
This business with releasing different versions with different gui to me means McAfee cannot get there act together in regard to stability and the best version and features. That being said, I uninstalled it and will go with some other IS vendor free or paid. McAfee you lost me as a customer.

shootfire

Level 1
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
I have read several recent articles that McAfee has revamped its IS with a new GUI employing new detection technology.

However, whenever I attempt to install it on one of my PC's, being that I have a 4 year license, the old version with the green border still appears.

For months, McAfee keeps saying they are gradually rolling it out. So far months have past, and nothing has changed.

Hopefully you have the new UI by now. I had the same frustration and what I found out is:
- LiveSafe was the first- and for a while, the only - product to have the new UI
- In some cases, the new AV engine is working with the old green UI
- In some cases, the old AV engine is working with the new blue UI
- So basically, the UI and AV engine are independent of each other.
- There are also two different installer packages, one which allows you to choose components to install; the other does not. The install package style you get has nothing to do with what UI or AV engine you get
I finally got the blue UI with the new AV engine after a while of doing what you did (just keep uninstalling/re-downloading a new install package). It uses a bit less memory in the background (like 80 MB vs 120-150 MB). The actual UI feels a bit snappier. Other than that, there is not much noticeable change.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Hopefully you have the new UI by now. I had the same frustration and what I found out is:
- LiveSafe was the first- and for a while, the only - product to have the new UI
- In some cases, the new AV engine is working with the old green UI
- In some cases, the old AV engine is working with the new blue UI
- So basically, the UI and AV engine are independent of each other.
- There are also two different installer packages, one which allows you to choose components to install; the other does not. The install package style you get has nothing to do with what UI or AV engine you get
I finally got the blue UI with the new AV engine after a while of doing what you did (just keep uninstalling/re-downloading a new install package). It uses a bit less memory in the background (like 80 MB vs 120-150 MB). The actual UI feels a bit snappier. Other than that, there is not much noticeable change.

Thanks for the update but with all the indecisiveness from McAfee regarding will I or won't I, I chucked the whole thing and purchased another IS suite from a different vendor.

Reactions: Weebarra

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016

Hi,
Was your McAfee updated to the latest version?

Last edited by a moderator:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Final Update. My system crashed so I had to do a system restore. I made one last attempt to install MIS with no luck. I then called Mcafee Support, and they were able to activate not only the NEW gui but the old one simultaneously. Their explanation, give it a few weeks, and see what happens.

I told the support guy to never mind because this is unacceptable. Obviously your software engineers have no clue as to what is going on with their product, and as it now stands, I would not trust it running two different guis for my PC's security. I am going to uninstall and go with something else more reliable.

IMHO, I would not recommend MIS to anyone for reliability at worst, and as it stands now at best, for your security.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.