McAfee LiveSafe 16.0 R28

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Does McAfee firewall use its own firewall driver, or is it based on the crap WFP?

Kind regards,
-sepik

Reactions: KonradPL
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

@McMcbrad
Thanks, i dont trust windows own firewall driver at all, which can be easily bypassed/abused and malware coders knows that.

Kind regards,
-sepi
The way they can bypass the Windows Firewall, they can just inject code into a trusted process and evade any firewall. It's not there to defend you from viruses, it's there just to hide you from attackers so they don't target you.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
True, and actually the sophisticated malware can do some nasty things to Windows Firewall rules, without injecting to its process.
Never ever trust firewalls thats based on the...wfp. But, how in early wfc starts on the kernel level? Zonealarm and Comodo firewall drivers starts way before windows own firewall, how deep we can go in the kernel level? Ring 0, 1, 3?
Kind regards,
-sepik

Reactions: Nagisa and KonradPL
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

True, and actually the sophisticated malware can do some nasty things to Windows Firewall rules, without injecting to its process.
Never ever trust firewalls thats based on the...wfp. But, how in early wfc starts on the kernel level? Zonealarm and Comodo firewall drivers starts way before windows own firewall, how deep we can go in the kernel level? Ring 0, 1, 3?
Kind regards,
-sepik
I have lost my faith in firewalls too long ago and I don't even consider them a protection component. It's something they keep dragging from the early ages and just don't wanna remove (though some of them already have: F-secure, Trend Micro, Avira)
I trust IPS/IDS more.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Nope, if the malware has already connected to a server, during a boot up stage, and you do not know anythin about that...that's the point.
That's why i prefer third party firewalls...

Kind regards,
-sepik

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Nope, if the malware has already connected to a server, during a boot up stage, and you do not know anythin about that...that's the point.
That's why i prefer third party firewalls...

Kind regards,
-sepik
Yeah, that's one reason you may love it, but normally you should not have malware at all :D

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Aye, but you never know what's lurking on your 'puter and you do not even know it;) Wait, its a windows telemetrin or...yeah.
Yet another win10 connects to MS Azure servers during boot up, disabled those telemetry ##### in ip range easily.
Kind regards,
-sepik

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
the face lift of the GUI is probably just in the livesafe version. I have installed yesterday the
antivirus plus 16R28 and there is the ugly old interface :(

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

They haven’t released the new GUI as incremental update and it has not yet covered all versions. For now it’s just in fresh Total Protection and LiveSafe installations, but will be distributed to everyone in the near future. Hence R28 comes with both the new and old UI.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
i dont understand why they are pushing their total protection and the antivirus- and internet security
are almost invisible on their website. so they should stop this versions to save money and capacities if they just wanna
earn money with their bloated total protection

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

i dont understand why they are pushing their total protection and the antivirus- and internet security
are almost invisible on their website. so they should stop this versions to save money and capacities if they just wanna
earn money with their bloated total protection
Mcafee Total Protection comes with many different licensing options. This makes Internet Security and Antivirus redundant.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I am really impressed with McAfee, I'm testing it now again on my laptop and it is super light and nice GUI (haven't updated to that new of the topic yet since it's in PT-BR).

Web Advisor is really awesome and I'm impressed too with True Key, one of the best password managers integrated on an AV I've ever seen.

True Key has that fast filling and it logs in automatically, pretty easy.

I am really changing my mind about the old heavy McAfee from the old days, I think I had a prejudice from that ages.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
@fabiobr wich version did you install?
McAfee-Versão.png

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
This is weird. I installed McAfee Total Protection and I am stuck with the old GUI. I have the latest version. Any ideas? It is a fresh install btw.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

This is weird. I installed McAfee Total Protection and I am stuck with the old GUI. I have the latest version. Any ideas? It is a fresh install btw.
This happens frequently on fresh installs and might due to a missing redistributable. Run McAfee removal tool and McAfee Pre-install tool.#
Then you can install it again. The pre-install tool will install the redistributable for you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.