McAfee+Samsung 2019

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McAfee today announced further collaboration with Samsung to provide pre-installed security software protection on Samsung Smart TVs, Samsung PCs, and the Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphone line worldwide.

Availability of McAfee LiveSafe on Samsung PCs
Starting in 2017, Samsung PC users can enjoy 60-day free trial and after the trial period, will receive a special offer.

Availability of McAfee Security for Samsung TVs
McAfee Security for TV anti-malware technology is currently available in the U.S. and Korea for Samsung Smart TV customers and additional countries will be added throughout the first half of 2017. No additional purchase is necessary.

Availability of McAfee VirusScan on Galaxy S8
McAfee VirusScan anti-malware technology will ship as a pre-installed solution for Samsung Galaxy S8 starting in April of 2017, and is available in Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge and Galaxy Note 5**. No additional purchase is necessary.

Read more at Press Releases

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bump for Samsung 2019 TVs.

Samsung is claiming something to the effect of wanting to protect users from malware. On the surface that makes sense, but Samsung is running its very own Tizen OS on all TVs. Instead of adding more junk to a TV, why not just improve the OS? The answer though is self-explanatory. Samsung would not receive a payout from McAfee if it did not install the unneeded software.
Officially, here is Samsung's statement on the matter.
McAfee extended its contract to have McAfee Security for TV technology pre-installed on all Samsung Smart TVs produced in 2019. Along with being the market leader in the Smart TV category worldwide, Samsung is also the first company to pre-install security on these devices, underscoring its commitment to building security in from the start. McAfee Security for TV scans the apps that run on Samsung smart TVs to identify and remove malware.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
McAfee pre-installed I can guess is not possible to remove. Something like this seems more interesting IMO.

Personal I would avoid buy a " SmartTV " in the first place but if I for some odd reason did anyway, connect it with IoT security F-Secure SENSE or the Gryphon etc.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You cannot really find a new TV that's not "Internet and App enabled".

The best thing you could do is not connect to the network, disable network settings, or block connections via router. Whilst still enjoying the best TV experience.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Hmmm, this may influence my decision on my very upcoming purchase. I've been looking at a new tv recently and had almost decided on a Samsung model but i sure has heck don't want McAfee on it, And like @Spawn says, you can't get a non smart tv really anymore unless someone has old stock lying around in an old part of a warehouse. They should not be allowed to determine which Security you use surely ? I would expect it to have the capability to remove McAfee which i have found difficult to remove from my laptop, i got it removed eventually after someone on MT linked to an uninstaller but it was a persistent wee bugger. :emoji_angry:

EDITED : Apparently you can still buy non smart tv's :oops:

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
EDITED : Apparently you can still buy non smart tv's :oops:
100% true but those are normally the 2018, 2017 models or older or maybe they do sell so called " dumbTVs " from 2019 in the UK. :unsure: I don't know but I checked on 2019 in my country, found one very unknown brand. Guess I can find a few others if I search more but I'm not gonna buy a TV anyway as I'm very satisfied with the one I have.

Btw when I think about it, personal I actually don't need a built-in OS on any TV. The Miracast feature alone or through a supported device ( mediabox etc ) connected with my Huawei P20 Pro deals with any streaming that I need more then fast and efficient. I can even setup and screen my phone as a simple PC if I wish as it got a specific feature for that. Tested a few days ago and it worked flawless. With the latest EMUI update one don't need an extra USB cable shown in the video. Connect a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and it would work even better.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Trials are so stupid they shoudln't exist as pre-installs. It brings NOTHING of value tot he user other than Samsung and McAfee doing business. Xiaomi for example bundles a proper FULL antivirus with MIUI. One of which is avast!. And they even use cloud scanner for every application you install first from GooglePlay and every time 3rd party app is installed manually. Now, that is of a big value to end users.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Btw when I think about it, personal I actually don't need a built-in OS on any TV. The Miracast feature alone or through a supported device ( mediabox etc ) connected with my Huawei P20 Pro deals with any streaming that I need more then fast and efficient. I can even setup and screen my phone as a simple PC if I wish as it got a specific feature for that. Tested a few days ago and it worked flawless. With the latest EMUI update one don't need an extra USB cable shown in the video. Connect a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and it would work even better.

After i wrote that reply, i went to check on a UK retailers website and they only had a couple of non smart tv's but they are in the smaller screen size.

It must be great to have a fancy phone

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
What brand was it and what size are you looking for?

This is the one i was looking at but the non smart ones are here but this is a bone of contention in the @Weebarra household because Mr W wants smart and i don't but we need a bigger screen size than we have now so it'll be a smart one. That will be fun and games because neither of us is very Smart (although i'm smarter than him) :p

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Weebarra - forget about it. 55" is good, and will probably be a huge improvement over whatever you have now. My question is: are you going to be playing content with 4K quality. If not, don't waste your $$, and buy a regular Samsung smart HD. They still offer a couple of bigger models, last time I checked. We have a 60" we bought about 3 years ago. Fantastic!

EDIT: We added Roku since it was an early version of "smart hub" that has limited apps.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.