Advice Request McAfee Stinger - Anyone using it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
McAfee Stinger is a standalone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It’s not a substitute for full antivirus protection, but a specialized tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with infected system. Stinger utilizes next-generation scan technology, including rootkit scanning, and scan performance optimizations. It detects and removes threats identified under the "Threat List" option under Advanced menu options in the Stinger application.

Stinger leverages GTI File Reputation and runs network heuristics at Medium level by default

GTI File Reputation provides you with always-on, real-time protection that safeguards and secures you from emerging threats.

GTI File Reputation enables you to use the threat intelligence gathered by McAfee Labs to prevent damage and data theft even before a signature update is available. This makes endpoints smarter and safer. GTI File Reputation technology extends the protection capabilities of McAfee products. It does so by providing access to an online cloud database. The database contains file classification details to determine whether a file is malicious.

Because the database of malicious file classifications is extensive, and changes frequently, GTI File Reputation queries the online GTI cloud servers about potentially suspicious files. It does so to achieve and maintain the highest security levels.

Stinger now also includes Real Protect, which is a real-time behavior detection program that monitors for suspicious activity on the computer. Real Protect uses machine learnings and automated behavioral based classifications in the cloud to detect zero-day infections.

1592454889598.png

Some discussions here

You can use its BB in real-time protection and as an on-demand scanner/cleaner as well

Take note from below

UPDATE: Please read the comment below. McAfee Real Protect or Raptor, like McAfee Stinger installs the McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service, which is difficult to remove, even after the tool is uninstalled. You may want to run McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool to remove this service.

Last edited:

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i use stinger through portableapps.com. i think portableapps removes real protect in their platform.
here is a test file for confirming whether real protect is working.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
i use stinger through portableapps. i think they remove real protect.
here is a test file for confirming whether real protect is working.
The Stinger64 version has it. See screenshot below. But the main screen with the texts are just way too small.

1592460311552.png

Last edited:

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Throw away the Stinger, much better second opinion scanners are out there. Realprotect is basically a cloud scanner if im not mistaken, it uses GTI signatures. But it broke my system when i uninstalled it. Files couldn't be deleted often. But it seems i fixed the problem by removing McAfee by its own uninstaller application.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Does anyone remember Mcafee Raptor? I wonder if Real Protect is the same thing, just polished and rebranded?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.