App Review McAfee Total Protection 2024

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
McAfee is a well-known American company, often competing with Norton.
McAfee is also often pre-installed on store-bought computers.
In the past, McAfee often had a bad reputation for being slow, inefficient and displaying alerts to charge for a license...

For this 2024 version, McAfee is making a major shift by completely recoding its product. No more 200 processes in memory! Just what's needed. Gone, too, are the long, drawn-out updates, as McAfee centralizes on its Cloud network.
And finally, McAfee now uses the Windows firewall, which it will optimize with proprietary shields... How effective is McAfee?

User interface :

The McAfee interface doesn't really change, but I find it lighter than before.
As I said, McAfee has had a nice facelift, fewer processes and, above all, McAfee has FINALLY become light!

Web protection: 10/10

McAfee correctly blocked all malicious links.
Strangely enough, I never saw WebAvisor engage... lifting doesn't mean brick anti-virus, does it?

Fake crack : 1/1

The fake crack malware has been blocked.

Malware Pack : Remaining 19 out of 495 threats. => Infection in memory !

McAfee's analysis is ultra-fast, which I really appreciated!
On the other hand, McAfee is still pretty average when it comes to detecting unknown malware.
At the end of the test, the Wab.exe process is injected by AgentTesla and CobaltStrike/Rozena is also active.
A little more effort, but the score goes up!

Final scan :

McAfee : 0
NPE : 4
KVRT : 3 (Infection in memory !!)
Emsisoft : 1 (2-1 => False Positive)

Final opinion:

McAfee is an antivirus that has evolved with the times.
It finally protects users correctly, although improvements must continue, especially with regard to unknown malware, which it unfortunately lags behind in terms of protection...
I really appreciated its lightness in memory, and above all the fact that the publisher finally seems to understand that McAfee has been sinking for several years...

It's recommended if you're a cautious surfer.
If you're a high-risk user, I wouldn't recommend it, as it will have trouble protecting you against unknown malware.

@Trident request

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thank you for your detailed review of McAfee Total Protection 2024. It's great to hear about the improvements in speed and efficiency, and the shift to cloud-based updates. However, your points about its struggle with unknown malware are concerning. It seems like McAfee has made significant strides, but there's still room for improvement. Your insights will be helpful for users considering this product.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Hi @Shadowra could you please remind with all of the tests that have been done, as I lost track, but which AV(s) are best for unknown malware, and that is different than zero-day, or are those both the same? Thank you :)
"It finally protects users correctly, although improvements must continue, especially with regard to unknown malware, which it unfortunately lags behind in terms of protection..."

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hi @Shadowra could you please remind with all of the tests that have been done, as I lost track, but which AV(s) are best for unknown malware, and that is different than zero-day, or are those both the same? Thank you :)

Only AVs with a good Behavior Blocker or detection engine, such as Kaspersky, Bitdefender or Microsoft Defender :)
I think I'll make a separation in the report for the next videos!

iodio

Mar 28, 2024
I have to say I’m really surprised by how light McAfee is now. I’ve downloaded probably everything over the past week since my F-Secure subscription is up and it seems to hit the right balance between protection, system resources, and price. It’s like $30 a year for 5 devices.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
I have to say I’m really surprised by how light McAfee is now. I’ve downloaded probably everything over the past week since my F-Secure subscription is up and it seems to hit the right balance between protection, system resources, and price. It’s like $30 a year for 5 devices.
wait till you see it's updated VPN speeds amazing improvement as well. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Mar 10, 2024
Bold and underlined irony in this thread. One only has to pay attention, which is the very basis of good habits.

It's recommended if you're a cautious surfer.
If you're a high-risk user, I wouldn't recommend it, as it will have trouble protecting you against unknown malware.

Only AVs with a good Behavior Blocker or detection engine, such as Kaspersky, Bitdefender or Microsoft Defender :)
I think I'll make a separation in the report for the next videos!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.