Video Review McAfee Total Protection Tested!

Discussion in 'Video Reviews' started by daljeet, Dec 17, 2017.

1. daljeet

daljeet Level 5

Jun 14, 2017
    india
    Linux Ubuntu
    Video Uploaded by:
    Computer Solutions

Surprising:D

2. Faybert

Faybert Level 10
    AV Tester

Jan 8, 2017
    Brasil
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    Finally a video test with good songs (y)

3. amico81

amico81 Level 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Germany
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    Not bad for Mccrappy

4. Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy Level 22

Apr 1, 2017
    IRAN
    Windows 10
    ESET
    The guys testing Avs in a better way and i like his tests!although the samples he uses for dynamic detection are not new!

Der.Reisende, bribon77 and daljeet like this.
  5. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    #5 Opcode, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Hands down that is the ugliest test I have ever seen in my life. I always recommend to take Anti-Virus tests with a grain of salt in general, regardless of the source, but this review just takes the biscuit.

Unless the author is telling me that they have reverse engineered McAfee products to determine exactly how the web filter has been implemented and works, and then also reverse-engineered web browsers to determine how their web filters work, the test is completely unrealistic and inaccurate when it comes down to the URL test. How do you know that the browsers aren't doing a database comparison before a connection is actually started without checking? How do you know the browser doesn't do its own internal checks before the security product is even aware of the connection, or at-least to the extent where it can use the received data for it to perform a scan?

Google/Firefox intercepting and blocking a malicious URL before McAfee doesn't necessarily mean that McAfee missed it, it may have identified it if Google/Firefox hadn't. If not through blacklisting, maybe through web-based heuristic analysis... I can see Intel having implemented something of the sort for their McAfee products. Plus if the data is blocked by a third-party, it prevents the AV from receiving the remaining which could have lead to a detection. Until you reverse engineer, you can't say for certain. Therefore this entire test was stupid and the "missed" URLs because of third-parties identifying first is nothing but pure, misleading speculation.

The "New" samples are VirusSign? LOL! You've got to be kidding me?? That is just stupid, but what is more stupid is how McAfee don't go through new VirusSign packs and add them to the database with a proper detection name. They should have had 100% for that, surely they have access to VirusSign paid samples as well as the free list. The more the merrier

What a stupid test.

6. Windows_Security

Windows_Security Level 13
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 13, 2016
    Holland
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    #6 Windows_Security, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    @daljeet

The test shows that Edge + Smartcreen provides the best protection against phising and malicious URL's followed by Chrome + Google and on a far distance Firefox. Better to disable the features of the browser when testing the effectiveness of an AV against bad-url's.

Good test of browser's protection capabilities (y), not so relevant test for an Antivirus web-protection :unsure: (because you consider a block by browser's protection mechanism as a fail).

Regards Kees

7. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    :cry:I knew that McAfee was good detection-wise, but I have had both McAfee Total Protection & McAfee Livesafe and they are awful;)

8. GonzitoVir

GonzitoVir Level 4

May 16, 2017
    Earth
    Windows 10
    Wow, I never saw the word 'stupid' so many times in a single post before... (As far as my stupid mind remembers) or maybe its because I'm a stupid and not reading enough stupid forum posts lately :D:ROFLMAO:

BTW, you're right about the browser intercepting/blocking bad URLs thing (y)

9. Windows_Security

Windows_Security Level 13
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 13, 2016
    Holland
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    What I like about @daljeet video is that the results are summarized and test is fast forwarded.

So many video testers force you to view the entire video and they don't increase display speed at recorded snail speed.

10. low L!fe

low L!fe Level 3

Oct 11, 2014
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    Mcafee and Bitdefender are better

Der.Reisende and daljeet like this.
  11. daljeet

daljeet Level 5

Jun 14, 2017
    india
    Linux Ubuntu
    Same here I like this person videos Computer Solutions
    I subscribe to his channel few ago

Der.Reisende and TerrakionSmash like this.