McAfee?

simbatippe1234

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 14, 2021
Hi, I have a budget Laptop from HP, that came pre-installed with McAfee, I have used McAfee Removal Tool.
But apparently, that is not enough, now I get Chrome messages from McAfee that I have some sort of Trojan in my system files, could not get rid of it, so I had to cancel all messages in Chrome.
McAfee is the worst Crap-Ware I have seen in a long time, I can't wrap my head around that this is a legitimate Firm, their tactics are disgusting.
I am sure that I have no Malware on my PC, but just to be on the safe side I am running a full system scan with BTS.
What if the PC had been owned by someone with fewer computer skills than me, not that it is something to brag about, there would end up purchasing McFubar, just to get rid of something that probably is not there, to begin with.
Shame on you McAfee!:mad:

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
You allowed an site to send you notifications (likely after being tricked into doing so after trying to download cracked/torrented/pirated or otherwise illegal movies/software and getting redirected to an site prompting you to allow notifications). McAfee is not actually the one sending you those notifications, but rather an affiliate of McAfee with malicious intents, who uses their status as an affiliate to generate revenue from clicks and/or purchases of McAfee products when you click on the notifications

Last edited:

simbatippe1234

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 14, 2021
You allowed an site to send you notifications (likely after being tricked into doing so after trying to download cracked/torrented/pirated or otherwise illegal movies/software and getting redirected to an site prompting you to allow notifications). McAfee is not actually the one sending you those notifications, but rather an affiliate of McAfee with malicious intents, who uses their status as an affiliate to generate revenue from clicks and/or purchases of McAfee products when you click on the notifications
Thanks, @ScandinavianFish, that is probably what happened, but I have a few reasons to hate that firm.
I was once a subscriber for two years of McAfee Total Protection, I have never had worse AV-Security, nothing else could run on that Laptop & when it was scanning it was insane how much CPU & Ram it consumed, so I will pass & stay with Bitdefender.:)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Bitdefender Full System Scan came up with nothing, took approximately 6 hours to complete(first scan ever).;)
6 hours!?

Oh My God Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
It really shouldn't scan those files
It should, there are threats specific to this file type, such as exploits. It may be a malformed image.

A good antivirus will put its nose everywhere 😀

As for the notifications, it may have been one of these McAfee support scam websites or a site associated with them. They will frequently take you to the official site, as “support” is not available or the site was identified. As soon as the scam site is detected, they will set up a redirect to the official McAfee page.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhioRebel

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.