Advanced Plus Security McLovin's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Jan 10, 2026
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Other
OS version and support details
macOS Tahoe (26.2)
On-device encryption
macOS FileVault
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
    • Account password
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Not applicable - not running Windows
Smart App Control
Not applicable / not available on this device
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
Router I use is Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6500) with the Omnidirectional MIMO Antenna.
Reason for this is the house I rent does not have NBN, and since I can get an unlimited 5G Data plan through work, I take advantage of that.
Real-time protection
Device firewall
Built-in Firewall for Mac/Linux
Custom security settings
  • ProtonVPN Settings:
    • NetShield is set to Block ads, trackers and malware
    • Kill switch is on
    • VPN Accelerator is on.
  • Trend Micro Maximum Security Settings:
    • Detect Web Threats (Set to High)
    • Real-Time Scanning - On
    • Camera & Microphone Protection - On
    • Folder Shield - Set to all my personal folders
    • Protect all connected USB's
Periodic malware scanners
N/A
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
  • Safari (Enhanced Settings)
    • Version: 26.2 (21623.1.14.11.9)
  • Proton Pass
    • Version: 1.33.3 (1.33.3)
  • 1Blocker
    • Version: 6.3.5 (1035)
  • SimpleLogin (Powered by Proton)
    • Version: 2.4.4 (Build 2)
Secure DNS
Desktop VPN
  • Proton VPN
    • Version: 46.2.0 (2791919.2512111400)
      • Protocol: Stealth
      • Country: Australia
      • Server: Fastest
Password and passkey manager
Maintenance tools
Open to recommendations.
File and photo backups
Subscriptions
    • Apple One Premier
    • Apple One Family
System recovery
Open to recommendations.
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
Laptop:
- - - - - -

Peripherals:
Feedback preference

Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome

McLovin

Level 80
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Forum Veteran
FAQ:

Q: Why do you use Trend Micro all the time?
A: I believe that the protection for me is enough. Also been using it for years.

Q: What phone do you have?
A: Currently it's the iPhone 16 Pro Max. My phone configuration can be found here.

Q: What do you do on your computer?
A: I work from home full time as a Platform Engineer, but in my spare time I build websites and offer IT Support to my small client base.
 
Last edited:
Great config, thanks for posting (y)

Malware Scanners: Norton Power Eraser and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are better than Malwarebytes and HitmanPro according to testing done by @cruelsister
Extensions: why 3 adblocking extensions? I would keep only uBlock Origin.
Secure DNS: I would recommend Cloudflare for families malware blocking only (1.1.1.2).
Fast and blocks some malware, others like Quad9 and dns0.eu (based on NextDNS) gave me issues (blocked portal of my GP).
 
Great config, thanks for posting (y)

Malware Scanners: Norton Power Eraser and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are better than Malwarebytes and HitmanPro according to testing done by @cruelsister
Extensions: why 3 adblocking extensions? I would keep only uBlock Origin.
Secure DNS: I would recommend Cloudflare for families malware blocking only (1.1.1.2).
Fast and blocks some malware, others like Quad9 and dns0.eu (based on NextDNS) gave me issues (blocked portal of my GP).

I do have Norton Power Eraser in my tools, but tend not to use it much.
Also to note, I don’t do antivirus testing these days, so threat level has significantly decreased.

You say tests done by cruelsister, are they reputable tests done?

As for extensions, I’ve been using 3 for years now and those same 3. I do like Ghostery over rest of them. Plus with the custom features and blocking in Brave.

I have looked into Cloudflare. I run that on my own website and have had no issues.
Might have to look into it.
 
I do have Norton Power Eraser in my tools, but tend not to use it much.
Also to note, I don’t do antivirus testing these days, so threat level has significantly decreased.

You say tests done by cruelsister, are they reputable tests done?
An easier way to check out some of her videos is through her YouTube channel. They are of course posted on MTs, but this simplifies a search for them :) And yes, they are reputable, easy to follow and understand along with some fantastic background music as a bonus.
 
Yes, all other configs give out their security layers, but having the exact version number makes it possible to locate exploits. Exploits usually work only for specific version #s.
 
Okay, so from this forum, how do they find his PC even if they have version numbers? How do they exploit a PC from a forum (information) where there is no PC link of an IP or mac address and is a fictitious user name?
Although I rolled my eyes up above, to be fair, a skilled hacker could find both servers from this website, look for exploitable entry in the servers and the data housed on them, where the website itself maintains email address, IP's, along with users names and then combine the knowledge of openly placing your security configuration would arm them with enough knowledge to attempt on those IPs.

Thus the current "good habits" campaign I've been on about being diligent with what information one divulges on the internet.

Although its highly unlikely a skilled hacker would do this for a home users as stated before, its not lucrative like a giant target would be.
 
not lucrative like a giant target would be.
Unless the organisation that the OP works for is being footprinted. The Lastpass hack involved attacking an admin employee at his home, and the attackers worked their way from there back to the organisation.
 
Last edited:
Unless the organisation that the OP works for is being footprinted. The Lastpass hack involved attacking an admin employee at his home, and the attackers worked their way from there back to the organisation.
That's a highly targeted attack and rare for home users, you don't hear about it happening too often to every day folk, and how they obtained his true information to attack him at home would need revealed into how they found him.

Although a security based forum not keeping an eye on its servers would certainly be something to raise an eyebrow on, I highly doubt the above mentioned is going to affect the users with alternative user names showing configuration.

P.s. if this is a topic all would like to discuss we should move it to a personalized thread so as to not hijack mclovins config thread.
 
Erase the version #'s you posted. Hackers love that kind of thing.
I understand your concern with this, but the chance someone “hacks” my system is slim.
Unless the organisation that the OP works for is being footprinted. The Lastpass hack involved attacking an admin employee at his home, and the attackers worked their way from there back to the organisation.
I do not work from home for the company I work for, and any personal activities are not done on my work assets while at work.
If you have uBlock Origin, in my opinion you don't need Adblock Plus or Ghostery, just add TrafficLight.
I’ll have to have a look this weekend. I’m more leaning towards Ghostery.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top