Melih Abdulhayoğlu - ComodoVision - Free vs. Paid Antivirus

  • Thread starter Thread starter ForgottenSeer 114717
  • Start date Start date
Comodo
32 Replies 3,092 Views

"Now the users do not spend their days fighting malware, they spend them correcting bugs and reformatting their crashed, corrupt system, lol.

No seriously, the blanket statement that a free antivirus is 'doing something right' if users are told it won't protect them is dangerous. He should have stated this for Comodo only. Not everything that's free has your best interest at heart, and he knows this.
 
Comodo users may face several bugs within their products, but Melih has a point on this video. Comodo is probably the only product that won't charge a cent for high-end modules, such as Auto-Containment, Sandboxing, HIPS, Firewall. Do they work flawlessly? Probably not. They could do better in general terms. But they developed all these modules (that in the cybersecurity world are top-tier features if correctly used) and offered them on a freemium software.
 
He makes some valid points but he exaggerates and extrapolates.

-It is not true that other vendors “let what they don’t know in with their eyes closed”. We don’t have to go into the details who does what and how, bottom line is, it isn’t what others do. Perhaps this statement would be true in the case of Webroot

-He is comparing Comodo to Linux. But Linux codebase is very much actively maintained and updated, there are constant updates for the kernel, the graphic environment and for all software. Not sure how Comodo compares to that.

-“Free software can’t protect as well as paid one” is a fuzzy statement, very dependent on interpretation.
Yes, the free Avast can’t protect as the paid one as some modules are behind a paywall. However, the free version of Avast can protect better than many paid products out there.

There are loads of other statements in this video that can be discussed but there is no point.
 
Last edited:
Is COMODO a Turkish product, or just the CEO?
  • Comodo Internet Security/Comodo Firewall are registered in the USA.
  • Comodo product owner and company owner is Turkish.
  • Comodo HQ is located in New Jersey, USA.
  • Comodo international office are located in:
    • Manchester, UK
    • Bradford, UK
    • Iași, Romania
    • Odessa, Ukraine
    • Chennai, India
    • Beijing, China
  • Comodo has been/is supported and developed (very little development for years) in:
    • New Jersey, USA
    • Ankara, Turkiye
    • Istanbul, Turkiye
    • Other locations (undocumented)
    • Independent subcontractor developers and other staff (wherever they are located)
 
Video was uploaded to Youtube on Oct 12, 2010. 15 years ago. A different era. Ancient times by IT standards. Not everything he stated then is necessarily applicable to today, but his ideology about the AV industry remains unchanged from then. Anybody can confirm this by reading his personal blog.

His statement in the video that "Linux is secure. Of course it is." is patently false. Then and now. If both Windows and Linux had the same market presence as both desktop and server OSes, then both Windows and Linux security would have many issues, and they'd be equally reported in the click-bait cybersecurity news. Even at only a few % of the overall consumer level market, Linux routinely has security issues.
 
You seem to love 💕 this guy and gloat about him in every post.
1. Where have I gloated about Melih?
2. What evidence do you have that suggests that "Bazang loves Melih"?
3. How could you reasonably reach any such conclusions?

Nothing I have ever posted anywhere shows that I support or promote Melih and his ideology.

What I have stated are statements of fact. Those statements have been neutral and objective. As far the Comodo products, I have often criticized them.

I have also repeated many times that I don't care about Melih, Comodo, and fanbois and fangirlz of Comodo here. All I am interested in is what Melih is legally required and obligated to do with respect to his freemium software. His ownership and offering of a freeware product obligates him to do nothing. That is not a defense of what is legally required. I don't care about any arguments that Melih has either "An ethical or moral obligation to fix bugs and reported vulns."

The dude is gaslighting bull crap. Everything he says applies to his code. He is basically that partner who blames you for things but everything they blame you is what they do to you. I.e. a narcissistic gaslighting and manipulation
How anyone could arrive at such an interpretation of Melih and what he said in the video is bizarre.

Of course Melih is going to say things in a way that promote his own products. However, nothing that he states in that vlog promotion video crosses the line. Furthermore, he is an anti-AV industry activist. I don't care about his ideology nor whether was he does is "right" or "wrong." I am only interested in what he must legally do under any applicable statutes or regulations.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
bazang are you Melih? You seem to love 💕 this guy and gloat about him in every post. Wouldn't surprise me if you were :unsure:.
He is just a
1. Where have I gloated about Melih?
2. What evidence do you have that suggests that "Bazang loves Melih"?
3. How could you reasonably reach any such conclusions?

Nothing I have ever posted anywhere shows that I support or promote Melih and his ideology.

What I have stated are statements of fact. Those statements have been neutral and objective. As far the Comodo products, I have often criticized them.

I have also repeated many times that I don't care about Melih, Comodo, and fanbois and fangirlz of Comodo here. All I am interested in is what Melih is legally required and obligated to do with respect to his freemium software. His ownership and offering of a freeware product obligates him to do nothing. That is not a defense of what is legally required. I don't care about any arguments that Melih has either "An ethical or moral obligation to fix bugs and reported vulns."


How anyone could arrive at such an interpretation of Melih and what he said in the video is bizarre.

Of course Melih is going to say things in a way that promote his own products. However, nothing that he states in that vlog promotion video crosses the line. Furthermore, he is an anti-AV industry activist. I don't care about his ideology nor whether was he does is "right" or "wrong." I am only interested in what he must legally do under any applicable statutes or regulations.
Arriving at that assumption is based of his behavior over decades.
 
I find Melih without morals and wouldn't trust him with a penny. The company made a decent software back in 2004 and have been ridding that dead horse for two decades.
How is the man without morals? Because he gives aware software at zero cost and he's not willing to pay the considerable amount of money for "an almost complete rewrite"?
 
How is the man without morals? Because he gives aware software at zero cost and he's not willing to pay the considerable amount of money for "an almost complete rewrite"?
He doesn’t have to pay the cost himself, nobody does that.
Such costs are usually business debt which repays back itself back when your offerings are good.
 
He doesn’t have to pay the cost himself, nobody does that.
Such costs are usually business debt which repays back itself back when your offerings are good.
Melih is against paid software and he does not care nor want revenue from Comodo Internet Security or Firewall. That is why he developed the product - to be revenue free by not requiring people to pay for it.

He is never going to adopt a revenue-based model for the product. That's why he has always been OK with all the reported issues and bugs. He set in his mind "I am willing to devote this amount of resources to this project and that is adequate and sufficient to me - and I don't care what anyone else thinks."

The man has a reported net worth between $1 and $2 billion USD. Does anyone think he spends any amount of his time worrying about what his detractors think?

Myself, I could care less. I am only interested in what he is legally required to do - which in this case he is required to do nothing and owes nobody anything.

For those that think Comodo should be better, then they should contact Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos and convince one or both of them to buy Comodo from Melih. Those two adhere to the "Offer a superior product and the revenues will come" type of thinking.
 
Melih is against paid software and he does not care nor want revenue from Comodo Internet Security or Firewall. That is why he developed the product - to be revenue free by not requiring people to pay for it.

He is never going to adopt a revenue-based model for the product. That's why he has always been OK with all the reported issues and bugs. He set in his mind "I am willing to devote this amount of resources to this project and that is adequate and sufficient to me - and I don't care what anyone else thinks."

The man has a reported net worth between $1 and $2 billion USD. Does anyone think he spends any amount of his time worrying about what his detractors think?

Myself, I could care less. I am only interested in what he is legally required to do - which in this case he is required to do nothing and owes nobody anything.

For those that think Comodo should be better, then they should contact Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos and convince one or both of them to buy Comodo from Melih. Those two adhere to the "Offer a superior product and the revenues will come" type of thinking.
Comodo is just like the food from the red cross.

It is better than nothing but far from amazing.

This is what you get when your work is based on charity type of modal.

1760886255052.png
 
Comodo is just like the food from the red cross.

It is better than nothing but far from amazing.

This is what you get when your work is based on charity type of modal.

View attachment 292120
This the best analogy that I have seen posted about Comodo. It is exactly like a Red Cross aid package, but it is security software.

People routinely complain about the free food that they receive no matter where they live in the world. It seems to be a universal human trait.

So what is true of free food is also true of some free software.

Charity is a thankless act.
 
How is the man without morals? Because he gives aware software at zero cost and he's not willing to pay the considerable amount of money for "an almost complete rewrite"?
His morals have nothing to do with releasing the software for free but rather how he treats his employees and people that disagree with him or point out deficiencies in his product.

That's it and nothing more. In the end software doesn't have feelings so it doesn't care about the morals of the code writer. It's how the code writer interacts with the customer and how they receive constrictive criticism.
 
Melih criticising paid antivirus vendors sounds just like petro-chemical business criticising Coca Cola for the usage of plastic bottles. It’s just comedy.

Fair enough he doesn’t charge for Comodo (although the pro version costs £39 for 1 PC).

But if he is so much into “charity” and providing the poor home user with solutions that “just work better”, he has a new shiny product for business.
Why doesn’t he offer Xcitium Home or something similar, or why Comodo isn’t just a copy of the business version?

Oh let me guess, he saw what having to invest really means and now he wants a return of the investments, like all other businesses do.
The bi-weekly updates, the community management, the antivirus all cost money. And not to mention the emulation which is essentially a second antivirus developed in parallel with the local one, plus the bandwidth and other charges.

All that shines is not gold.
Melih’s businesses are the same as any other business.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top