Technology Microsoft’s new Windows chief on the future of the OS, Surface, and those annoying ads

nicolaasjan

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2023
This really stood out to me:

Beyond AI, Davuluri also sees a future for Windows being streamed to devices instead of running locally on them. Microsoft has been working toward this with its Windows 365 service. “We’re going to make Windows cloud native. We’re making a big push for Windows 365,” he says.
Microsoft shared an example of Windows being streamed to Meta Quest headsets during its Build keynote, with new “Windows Volumetric Apps” streaming HoloLens-like 3D apps and digital objects to a VR headset. This type of experience is designed for designers and people working with CAD drawings right now, but Davuluri sees a future where having Windows cloud native could change operating systems just as much as he thinks AI will.
“Windows and cloud is going to be a game changer for us in the arc of time,” says Davuluri. “It’s also going to change a lot of the compute paradigm because I believe that when the OS becomes cloud native… we’ll have near infinite scale for compute in the cloud. I think that will make us think differently about operating systems.”
And:
All of this modernization means very little if Microsoft is going to continue to ruin the Windows experience with malware-like Bing prompts and ads. I’ve been particularly vocal about this, and it sounds like Microsoft might be listening. “I think that’s an ongoing journey for us. It is front and center for me, making sure we are winning Windows customers through great experiences at the end of the day,” says Davuluri. “We want them to enjoy Windows, we want them to want it. So I hear you on it.”

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.