Microsoft’s Really Having a Hard Time Moving Users from Chrome to Edge Browser

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Voted I would not use Edge as default browser!
Firefox primary and Chrome secondary browsers.However I do use both browsers.
Both are just too customizable and have the extensions and addons that I want & need.
I have been using both of these browsers for many,many years and I just don't see Edge ever catching up to them.
Switching to edge would be like going back in time.

I do use Edge in my VM's.
If there was a choice for Edge makes a good VM browser I would have voted for that :D

U

uncle bill

Look up various testings done on the browsers. Chrome is Google's bread and butter, with quick updates/patches that are constant, not to mention large bug bounties.
Do you really feel safe because of that video? A video from a person with a folder named 153 chess ebooks? When will that person get the time to read them all? Come on..
:)

If you want privacy, use a privacy browser, which is certainly not Chrome, Edge or IE.
There's absolutely no privacy when you surf on internet. You can disable javascript, flash and deny cookies to have a better one but.. you'll get a lot of sites stop working correctly, that's why i stay with edge and my program.

I don't have any problem with that 54,99% of people using chrome and keeping google stock value high, but what troubles me is how many of them really understand the amount of data they give away about themself? So talking good about google (but i can say the same for microsoft, facebook, and others) is not a priority for me, why it's for you?

W

Wave

IMO the first 3 answers to the poll are all important to me - I don't like Metro Apps and this is a barrier between me and Microsoft Edge, I wouldn't want a Metro Apps browser especially. If I did I'd have used Google Chrome Metro version all the time I've been using Chrome back on Windows 8/8.1 or now on Windows 10...

They should make a "Desktop" version of Microsoft Edge, the same way Skype has both a Metro and Desktop version. Or, change Internet Explorer on Windows 10 so it has enhanced security measures and uses the new Microsoft Edge engines within it. :)

I tried edge, it legit crashed one to many times, and i can feel the performance difference, between chrome. ill stick with slimjet(which is chrome-based), maybe in the next few years when edge is mature ill try it again.
Quite often I might need to use it for one reason or another (to test compatibility with a website between browsers for example) and it'll just crash as it starts-up or after I try to search in the box on the default landing page. It's beyond funny in terms of stupidity.

W

Wave

There's absolutely no privacy when you surf on internet.
Use a Virtual Machine for Tails (Linux-based), and then set-up the Tor network. Don't allow anything like cookies (since these can be used to identify you for example if they are stored and contain good data), sign into any accounts you use normally, etc. That's as close to being privacy-protected as you can really get... Since you won't be tracked unless some sort of exploit is used by a government agency (e.g. if they catch traffic from someone using Tor to a website they are monitoring or trying to shut-down due to criminal activity), and normal sites won't be able to store cookies to collect information on you, and if you don't sign into your normal accounts from the Tor network then there is no log of you using Tor for anyone who owns the websites, they won't be able to use it to identify you either, etc.

And of course without an IP address (for example) the owners of websites who know you are viewing the site won't be able to try to track you and find out a close/accurate estimation of where you are located, since all connections go through the Tor network (multiple servers located in different countries), making you appear to be browsing from different locations.

Tails OS won't store anything, it's designed to stay clean and leave no trace... Read more here: Tails - Privacy for anyone anywhere

But I agree with you, there is no full privacy, because even with what I said above you can be tracked by government agencies if you are doing something bad that they have interest in investigating (for example). :)

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Do you really feel safe because of that video? A video from a person with a folder named 153 chess ebooks? When will that person get the time to read them all? Come on..

There's absolutely no privacy when you surf on internet. You can disable javascript, flash and deny cookies to have a better one but.. you'll get a lot of sites stop working correctly, that's why i stay with edge and my program.

I don't have any problem with that 54,99% of people using chrome and keeping google stock value high, but what troubles me is how many of them really understand the amount of data they give away about themself? So talking good about google (but i can say the same for microsoft, facebook, and others) is not a priority for me, why it's for you?

So I gave facts , and you have opinion.

Do believe Edge is more secure than Chrome? Besides your opinion do you have anything at all to back up your claims?

Some people believe Windows Defender is best AV out there... :)

You continue to talk about privacy, there is none in Edge, you do realize this? It is the same as Chrome in that regards.

As for privacy, you will certainly never have it using Windows 10 or any Microsoft product or Google product.

I suggest Linux and a real privacy browser for near privacy. Obviously if you feel that strongly never ever use any digital device.

D

Deleted member 178

Wave said:
They should make a "Desktop" version of Microsoft Edge, the same way Skype has both a Metro and Desktop version.
Metro Apps common point is that they use the Appcontainer Integrity Level, which is far safer than any 3rd party softs.

Wave said:
Or, change Internet Explorer on Windows 10 so it has enhanced security measures and uses the new Microsoft Edge engines within it. :)
IE is still on Windows 8/10 only for legacy purpose , the default browser is supposed to be Edge.

Wave said:
Quite often I might need to use it for one reason or another (to test compatibility with a website between browsers for example) and it'll just crash as it starts-up or after I try to search in the box on the default landing page. It's beyond funny in terms of stupidity.
i never had a crash with it, maybe im lucky :p

From a security point :

Edge > Chrome (out of the box)
Chrome (tweaked) > Edge

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I would not use Edge even if it supported all my chrome extensions (unlikely) because
1 chrome allows me to block and unblock all images pretty easily, from the settings, and it works. This is not a security issue but simply a matter of blocking offensive images.
2 I can't run Edge isolated in ReHIPS

D

Deleted member 178

I would not use Edge even if it supported all my chrome extensions (unlikely) because
1 chrome allows me to block and unblock all images pretty easily, from the settings, and it works. This is not a security issue but simply a matter of blocking offensive images.
2 I can't run Edge isolated in ReHIPS

Because ReHIPS doesn't support Metro Apps. metro apps are already sandboxed via appcontainer.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
People nowadays prefer speed, flexible customization and performance.

Microsoft Edge may boost well in security however people does not like only one entity but all around.

Google Chrome is an example of all around browser.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Funny how M$ just had to change the name of their browser for a fresh start, just to mess it up once again. No extensions? Might as well offer a text-based command line browser. Really, M$? That's the solution from a multi-billion dollar business? Thanks but no, thanks.

I also don't feel it, it may have features like doodling on web pages but who cares, I can't even intuitively take one of my tabbed sites and drag it into my bookmarks bar. Feels very awkward.

I have to admit I use it to stream videos, cause I like my 1080p and most other browsers won't do that. Open Edge, watch Netflix, close Edge. That's it. Nothing more.

What I don't get either is why Firefox doesn't fare any better. So customizable, so easy to use. From an open source community that doesn't have to spy on you to earn their keep.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.