Advice Request Microsoft Defender alone?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hi just wanted to ask ,I got a clean install done of win10 pro and I am running WD for a test run ,just didn't want to install a third part av .I use this computer 1-2 times a week an older machine.Is WD enough with simplewall or should I add something like Wisevector or Voodooshield?THks

Highly recommended to add Configure Defender and another tool below from @Andy Ful

Or instead you can using together with WD(MD) just what you already mentioned: VoodooShield

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft Defender Antivirus is absolutely capable of preventing viruses and malware, coupled with a modern browser such as Microsoft Edge for SmartScreen/PUA protection or Firefox/Chromium with Google SafeBrowsing, you can safely surf the web. A trusted content blocker is recommended for all browsers, either built-in like Brave or an extension (uBlock Origin). For hassle-free browsing, you can choose a Secure DNS with malware blocking.

There is very little need to stack multiple real-time protections when most can be blocked passively.

Is MDA a Basic Antivirus? It is not.

A layered approach is superior to most all-in-one Suites out there - see above.

Microsoft have made massive improvements from it's earlier generations (Windows Live OneCare, Forefront for endpoints, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender for Windows 8). It's also designed to work silently unlike many noisy Antivirus software, which lead you to make impulsive, and generally poor decisions.

Microsoft's Defender is completely free and does not require a Microsoft Account. Whereas third-party solutions may also require personal information such as your Name, Address, and Card details for on-going paid subscriptions, or registering a free license.

When comparing Microsoft Defender Antivirus to third-party security, most comparisons or sponsored-by sites do not included other Windows Security features that are found exclusively within Windows 10.

All opinions are strictly my own.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
If you practise safe computing, MD is enough.
I have never understood the line between safe and unsafe use of a computer when talking about choosing an antivirus solution. Since if the user is very cautious and experienced enough, then why would he even spend PC resources on an antivirus? Especially on something as heavy as WD? I think if there are still some concerns, then maybe talking about careful / not careful habits is not a good topic? :)
I add something like Wisevector
I think that's a good idea. It is very light, so it will not be visible in the system even with WD. At the same time, installation and use does not require any skills at all.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I have never understood the line between safe and unsafe use of a computer when talking about choosing an antivirus solution. Since if the user is very cautious and experienced enough, then why would he even spend PC resources on an antivirus?
Because there are infection vectors that the user has no control over, and using some form of protection provides a chance to mitigate any potential infection initiated via those vectors.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Because there are infection vectors that the user has no control over, and using some form of protection provides a chance to mitigate any potential infection initiated via those vectors.
For example? If user check absolutely all downloaded files on VirusTotal, as well as use the browser in https-only mode with any popular extension to protect against phishing. What else can an antivirus mitigate? Even if we look at the statistics of Malwarebytes, you can see that, for example, exploits are so rare that you can not find any in real life in your entire life.

I'm not saying that anti-viruses are not needed, since a person tends to make mistakes, he may forget to check the file safety, at least, but in my opinion, guys should to choose a security solution based on the price / scenario of using the computer (games, banking, etc.) / confinguration of the computer, instead of saying that some antivirus is sufficient if you are careful. =)

Reactions: Stopspying and Nevi

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
For example? If user check absolutely all downloaded files on VirusTotal, as well as use the browser in https-only mode with any popular extension to protect against phishing. What else can an antivirus mitigate? Even if we look at the statistics of Malwarebytes, you can see that, for example, exploits are so rare that you can not find any in real life in your entire life.

I'm not saying that anti-viruses are not needed, since a person tends to make mistakes, he may forget to check the file security, at least, but in my opinion, guys should to choose a security solution based on the price / scenario of using the computer (games, banking, etc.) / confinguration of the computer, instead of saying that some antivirus is sufficient if you are careful. =)
My main point was going to be exploits but you already answered that. I haven't looked at the MWB statistics but if they're that rare my example becomes moot.
One thing an AV might catch is malicious code inserted into legitimate websites. Skimmers for capturing card details, for example.

I agree people should choose whatever solution fits their needs, but I don't subscribe to the idea that the choice of AV makes a significant difference in terms of protection if you're practicing safe habits. Just having an ad blocker eliminates the main non-self-initiated vector of infection, and if you're already treating every link/download with suspicion it's unlikely you'll ever come across malware in the first place.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you read @blueblackwow65 's first post, you will see that it is an old pc that is used several times a week. I think the reference to this condition should be separate from the general safety discussion.

I have a pc that I use in a similar configuration, and unless I'm going to be Indiana Jones and go on a ridiculous adventure, WD is good enough for me. my only complaint about WD is the way it handles unsigned, obscure online software.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
Of course.

I've never known any normal person who uses their computer for basic stuff, and has a life away from the screen, have problems with malware.

Like the other poster said, just get an adblocker for your own convenience and ease of use. Possibly the Adguard browser extension as it's simpler to use than uBlock Origin but cosmetically more 'beautifying' without with default settings. Adguards lists are great too, they never break anything but catch most ads.

I say all this as someone who wastes an inordinate amount of time tinkering with my laptop to make improvements that have a barely infinitesimal impact on my overall quality of life.

Frib004

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2018
Hi just wanted to ask ,I got a clean install done of win10 pro and I am running WD for a test run ,just didn't want to install a third part av .I use this computer 1-2 times a week an older machine.Is WD enough with simplewall or should I add something like Wisevector or Voodooshield?THks
Yes, Defender is basic, but enough if you don't want to install a third party AV...

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

If you want to get infected, go ahead. There are only 4 companies you can trust to protect your system that are 100% security focused: Kaspersky, Norton, F-Secure and GDATA.
yeah...sure:

100% protection never exists, and AVs are on last position on security concepts.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you want to get infected, go ahead. There are only 4 companies you can trust to protect your system that are 100% security focused: Kaspersky, Norton, F-Secure and GDATA.
Microsoft is focused on OS and Office. In that sense, your opinion is correct.
yeah...sure:

100% protection never exists, and AVs are on last position on security concepts.
I agree. AV is an auxiliary device such as an automobile airbag or ABS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.