Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
After installation, open the app and sign in. Enable push notifications in Preferences if you want alerts. On iPhone and iPad, push requires a Home Screen web app and iOS or iPadOS 16.4 or later.
Sign in to manage notificationsInstallation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
You might want to give EaseUS a try. They also sell lifetime licenses. Acronis, O&O and EaseUs are the ones I have never faced any issues with.I'm using latest Macrium Reflect free rescue media. It will no longer be offered by January 01, 2024, at which time I will purchase the Home version.
I was also affected by this, how sad, I won't even go into details, one of my laptops died and wouldn't turn on anymore, when I went to the other laptop I was passing my stuff to another laptop, my shortcuts started to disappear from the desktop. Whether it is because it was Friday the 13th I don't know, but everything happened on that blessed day, Friday the 13th. Coincidence? maybe, very likely to be the Hard_Configurator settings that I did exaggerated @BryanB know that I will stop here, if not the witches may appear again, now I remembered only in October 13 will fall on a FridayMicrosoft reminds all it's Friday the 13th as Defender deletes shortcuts on Windows 10
![]()
Microsoft reminds all it's Friday the 13th as Defender deletes shortcuts on Windows 10
Microsoft Defender goofed up again as system admins found it was deleting shortcuts on Windows 10 from the Start menu and Taskbar. The company acknowledged the issue and has now issued a fix.www.neowin.net
I have Macrium,Acronis,AOMEI Backupper, RollBack Rx, Restore Point, etc ... but I had just formatted this laptop and it is installing some apps that I use and updating, I was almost done, and suddenly the icons began to disappear. There was only one Restore Point in Windows, it was just restore, after I saw the news that it was the Microsoft Defender ASR rule in the BleepingComputer Buggy Microsoft Defender ASR rule deletes Windows app shortcuts then it was already too late, I had already kicked the bucket, I will have to recreate the shortcuts one by one playing MicrosoftImagine when you forgot System Restore even you are IT guy, actually why didn't think this before? when i see all icons are gone i was like damn! ffs i thought i reinstall all softwares again later because i was too lazy i saw your post it worked! thank you! giving youdont tell any staff, go to your DM as private and eat it there dude!
@Andrezj
I am using the same, only boot menu option instead of recovery CD. At normal boot it is offered as an option. When windows is totally down, the recovery offers this as an alternative OS. That is why I never used a recovery CD.
Remember when Windows crashes to the point it does not show menu boot options anymore, invoke windows startup recovery (by forcing reboot a few times through PC-start button) and search for "start/launch another/different OS" (I don;t remember exactly). When you choose that option the Macrium Reflect PE-environment option will show up.I've added the boot menu option and tested, all works great. Thanks for pointing this out. I would still keep a rescue boot disk on hand just in case of a physical hdd failure.
Remember when Windows crashes to the point it does not show menu boot options anymore, invoke windows startup recovery (by forcing reboot a few times through PC-start button) and search for "start/launch another/different OS" (I don;t remember exactly). When you choose that option the Macrium Reflect PE-environment option will show up.![]()
No I am talking about software failures to the point that only recovery partition is working (and the partition on which the image backup is stored).Even if the hdd physically crashes? I might be misunderstanding the boot menu functionality![]()
Okay t hat makes sense, thanks! Tapping F4 or F12 upon initial boot will get me to the boot menu.No I am talking about software failures to the point that only recovery partition is working (and the partition on which the image backup is stored).
I, too, think I will install a third party AV, I don't trust MD anymore, this is not the first time it happens that Microsoft sends a signature with a bug or pushes an update and start deleting user files. In third-party AVs can this happen? yes, of course any AV can happen, to err is human, after all AVs are developed by humans. But as MD comes already installed and integrated in Win10 and Win11 it is almost impossible to deactivate it. The thing is that if I use a third party AV, I will be prepared in case something happens, I will have a backup image, snapshot,etc... I just need to restore and go back to the previous state. On the other laptop that died I was using CIS, I should have followed my instinct and installed CIS, maybe this wouldn't have happened. Ha, there I had RBX installed even if I had MD, it was just back a snapshot 30 seconds would be all back to normal. Before blaming Microsoft and Hard_Configurator, if I had the MD with the default ASR rules, would this have happened? I will leave some screenshots of the default ASR rules in MD. And then just below the second spoiler adjustments made by Hard_Configurator to top.Anyway, this shortcut issue was a heavy mess! Now installed a very good third-party AV so that my bro can do his work without any issue. It's a more user-friendly approach.
This can be a pretty common reaction to such a blooper, which could be easily avoided by Microsoft with a simple test. Imagine how big problems this issue caused in the small and medium businesses where people use Defender for Endpoint.Anyway, this shortcut issue was a heavy mess! Now installed a very good third-party AV ...
And why didn't they test it on a VM or on a production machine, before sending out this buggy update? That's what I don't understand.This can be a pretty common reaction to such a blooper, which could be easily avoided by Microsoft with a simple test. Imagine how big problems this issue caused in the small and medium businesses where people use Defender for Endpoint.
So it was really my fault and not Microsoft's, this was not a general problem, if the settings were default in the defender, I wouldn't have deleted my shortcuts. Me drowning in a glass of water.Usability issues can come sooner or later with advanced settings.
Anyway, this shortcut issue was a heavy mess! Now installed a very good third-party AV so that my bro can do his work without any issue. It's a more user-friendly approach.
Exactly, I didn't have a recent image backup, mine was worse, because I had just formatted it and was finishing installing some apps and updating the browsers, after the end I was going to make a backup, because everything I use, was on another laptop that presented a problem, after almost finishing the tasks on this new laptop the shortcuts started to disappear, I thought it was a malware, the funniest thing, everyone will laugh at my comment, but it's true what I'm saying, I'll be honest, I should have recorded a video showing what happened on my Desktop, as the shortcuts disappeared, I noticed that the shortcuts were disappearing, I would access other shortcuts on the Desktop that hadn't been deleted yet, when I clicked on the app's shortcut, it disappeared, and it was like that for several consecutive times, as if something was playing with me lolFor me this once again just re-enforces how important it is to keep a recent system image on hand that can be reliably restored if needed.
That is normal. I also had it in mind when my wife told me about this issue. But, the ConfigureDefender log showed a different story.I thought it was a malware, the funniest thing, everyone will laugh at my comment, ...
For example thisThis can be a pretty common reaction to such a blooper, which could be easily avoided by Microsoft with a simple test. Imagine how big problems this issue caused in the small and medium businesses where people use Defender for Endpoint.
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes