Advice Request Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extension

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Amnesia

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 23, 2021
Just opened Microsoft Edge and got this pop-up:

KP4OwFi.png

So this ext is basically useless now>>?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So this ext is basically useless now>>?
No.

However you could say Yes, for Microsoft Edge browser users.

Do you get the same message in Chrome/Brave/Opera?

It was last updated today: v1.654 - 29 November 2022

Someone else asked a similar question, around the same time.
Q: I installed this extension via Chrome store but it says "Developer support for this extension is complete and will be expiring soon.". Will stop or use Countine normally? If discontinued, this extension will not protect suspicious and malicious websites.

A: There is no announcement with regards to this extension being discontinued or it being on end of life and most likely this happens when an extension in the Chrome web store as most likely this is still in process and the enforcement actions that are taken when an extension violates the Chrome web store's policies and therefore you can still use it and once this has been sorted out then you will not be seeing this prompt anymore.
Source: answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/microsoft-defender-browser-protection-to-be-end-or/012b04ab-cb55-4d7b-bce0-c242606e9ec8

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I got the same error today in both Chrome and Brave. Odd thing was both browsers were slower to open and get started than usual. I have no idea if that is related to this Defender browser extension problem though. I see the reply from MS Support as more of a non-answer. The Defender browser extension has been in use for a very long time now, I really doubt it is violating any of Chrome's web store policies. I would be more inclined to believe this error is because the browser guard developers are not complying with MV3 or maybe they do not want to comply or don't have the resources to build an MV3 compatible extension so Google is cutting the extension from the list. The Defender extension may just be the first MV3 casualty.

C.H.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I used to have trafficlight but do I need it when I have Norton safe web installed?
norton safe web is one of the worst extensions. It's weak
bitdefender is much better but in 1 buggy version, it completely lost all protections

windows defender browser protection is better than norton if it's still working

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
norton safe web is one of the worst extensions. It's weak
bitdefender is much better but in 1 buggy version, it completely lost all protections

windows defender browser protection is better than norton if it's still working
I prefer Malwarebytes Browser Guard these days.

I used to have trafficlight but do I need it when I have Norton safe web installed?
I recommend making sure that your Security & Privacy settings are turned on & up to at least Balanced in Microsoft Edge (Block Potentially Unwanted Apps turned on,
Enhance Your Security On The Web set to at least Balanced, et cetera), try maybe Malwarebytes Browser Guard, uBlock Origin, and maybe Quad9 DNS or Adguard DNS Public DNS servers.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I can't say that I like this at all. I have been using Malwarebytes Browser Guard in Chrome, Edge and Firefox, along with the Defender extension in Chrome. I feel that I am being forced to use Edge exclusively if I want to get all the benefits of Defender and Smartscreen. MB Browser Guard is good at blocking phishing but I have no way to know if it is any better than Smartscreen at blocking malware in the browser. I still have not found a replacement for the Defender extension yet.

I had tried out Brave just in the last couple of days, combined with its built-in adblocker and the Defender extension. Brave worked ok but I removed it yesterday. I can't get used to its affiliation with Tor and the whole crypto nonsense. I know you can turn both off but Brave is just not for me. As much as I would like to keep using Defender, I might try Avast Free AV again. Avast will work directly in the browser on Chrome, Edge, FF or the Avast Secure browser, without the need of any browser security/phishing extensions at all. I think it is best to keep security-related extensions to a minimum. I only wish MS and Google would just learn to leave well enough alone.

C.H.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
malwarebytes is definitely better than most but it's pretty heavy. It's suitable for good enough PCs
WDBP is ultralight and provides more than average protection. It's enough for me to use beside google safe browsing

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I read a lot about this last night and today. I did not download Avast or its browser or anything else either. I do believe Edge is a good browser, sure it's not completely perfect but it works well enough for me. I am taking my own advice and leaving well enough alone. I use Edge with built in Smart Screen, Ad Blocker Ultimate and the MB Browser Guard extension. It all works fine together and Edge integrates with MS Security and Smart Screen very well. I think this is the least problematic config for my use. I think it's best to not fix it if it ain't broke.

C.H.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
malwarebytes is definitely better than most but it's pretty heavy. It's suitable for good enough PCs
WDBP is ultralight and provides more than average protection. It's enough for me to use beside google safe browsing
Except in this situation it seems that it will soon be abandoned, allegedly, so it is not an option, unfortunately, so unless they decide to use Microsoft Edge with the proper security & privacy settings turned on, they will need an alternative.

Also, when it comes to grayware / adware / spam / scam / pop-up ads / et cetera, Malwarebytes Browser Guard outperformed all the others I tested, when I would do tests where I would disable ad blocking, and go to ad filled bootleg streaming video websites & similar websites that I use to unscientifically test extensions et cetera.

I do miss your security web browser extension tests and DNS providers that block malicious et cetera websites tests.

Those really helped me to narrow down my selections & got me to regularly try various ones to make sure I have the best or most balanced security setup.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I can't say that I like this at all. I have been using Malwarebytes Browser Guard in Chrome, Edge and Firefox, along with the Defender extension in Chrome. I feel that I am being forced to use Edge exclusively if I want to get all the benefits of Defender and Smartscreen. MB Browser Guard is good at blocking phishing but I have no way to know if it is any better than Smartscreen at blocking malware in the browser. I still have not found a replacement for the Defender extension yet.

I had tried out Brave just in the last couple of days, combined with its built-in adblocker and the Defender extension. Brave worked ok but I removed it yesterday. I can't get used to its affiliation with Tor and the whole crypto nonsense. I know you can turn both off but Brave is just not for me. As much as I would like to keep using Defender, I might try Avast Free AV again. Avast will work directly in the browser on Chrome, Edge, FF or the Avast Secure browser, without the need of any browser security/phishing extensions at all. I think it is best to keep security-related extensions to a minimum. I only wish MS and Google would just learn to leave well enough alone.

C.H.
fwiw I've done same thing with Brave several times. :rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.