New Update Microsoft Defender launches on Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android - The Verge

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
I've never been a fan of Microsoft's antivirus, but I confess that soon there will be no need to use third-party antivirus anymore, I said in brief, I still think it needs to improve, it's still below the main names in the security market :whistle:

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

So you got to subscribe to Office 365. Office standalone price does not include it, and there looks to be no add-on subscription for MS Defender iOS or Android.

Curious to see reviews of Microsoft Defender on iOS.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
So you got to subscribe to Office 365. Office standalone price does not include it, and there looks to be no add-on subscription for MS Defender iOS or Android.

Curious to see reviews of Microsoft Defender on iOS.
"On iOS and iPadOS, for example, there’s no antivirus protection, and the app offers some web phishing protections instead alongside a dashboard that includes alerts for other devices."

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
New cloud-based Microsoft Defender for home now generally available
Microsoft has announced today the general availability of Microsoft Defender for Individuals, the company's new security solution for personal phones and computers.

This new cross-device security solution is available for all Microsoft 365 customers with Personal ($6.99/month) or Family ($9.99/month) subscriptions starting today.

First unveiled for Windows 11 Insiders in March, Defender for Individuals provides malware and phishing protection for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android mobile and desktop devices.

It is designed to work as a central dashboard from which you can monitor the security status of your family members' devices.

Defender for Individuals also provides safety alerts and recommendations, including real-time warnings about device security changes and suggestions on keeping data and devices secure.

Microsoft says the malware protection feature is only available on Windows, macOS, and Android phones. In contrast, web protection is available on iOS and Android phones (on Windows, web protection is provided by the built-in Windows Security solution).

"It was built on our Microsoft Defender for Endpoint technology, leveraging the same trusted security that enterprises rely on," said Vasu Jakkal, Microsoft's Corporate Vice President for Security, Compliance, Identity, and Management.

"It joins our comprehensive set of security products and services as the newest member of our family of Microsoft Defender solutions and extends the protection already built into Windows Security."
Neowin coverage:
Original MS blog post:

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
They really should have marketed this better, many users are going to assume that there's a free version and paid version of Windows Defender. How many using WD are actually going to read the web page or documentation? It should be marketed as an add-on for 365 only, an AV dashboard, and call it a different name. And I'm not sure if this provides additional protection over MD, if so then aren't we going to a free/paid WD solution?

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft Defender for Individuals protects devices against malware and runs antivirus scans on connected devices continuously. Microsoft notes in a footnote that malware protection is not available on Windows and iOS devices, if a security solution is installed already.

The security solution informs users in real-time about security changes, for instance, when threats are detected on connected devices.

Microsoft 365 subscribers may download Microsoft Defender for Individuals from the Microsoft 365 website. Downloads are provided for Windows, macOS, Android and iOS. All download links redirect to the relevant Store locations, e.g., Google Play for the Android download, or the Microsoft Store for the Microsoft Defender for Windows store.

Vasu Jakkal, Corporate Vice President, Security, Compliance, Identity, and Management, confirms that new security features will become available in the future.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Are there any advantages to it? I have Office 365 for family.
At the moment the only advantage I see is an overview of the security status of all your devices.
There is no access to any of the advanced settings like provided by ConfigureDefender or DefenderUI.

It does provide real time protection on your Android phone.

So instead of using Bitdefender Free or the built-in McAfee from Samsung I now have web protection on my Android phone.
I hope the android version will be tested by the labs, to see what protection it really offers.

But it's still early days... new security features will become available in the future... they said...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
From How-To-Geek:
The app probably won’t be too helpful for most people, at least in its current form, given that each supported platform already has its own built-in suite of security tools. Google Play Protect on Android already scans installed apps for dangerous code, while Apple has Gatekeeper and XProtect on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Still, it’s free to Microsoft 365 subscribers, and Microsoft hopes the dashboard view might be helpful for families to check multiple devices for potential security problems at once.

Microsoft is also planning to continue updating the Defender apps with new features. The company said in a blog post, “As we look forward, we will continue to bring more protections together under a single dashboard, including features like identity theft protection and secure online connection. Microsoft Defender is simplified online security that grows with you and your family to help keep you safe.”

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.