Microsoft Defender quietly adds defense-in-depth

South Park

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I saw multiple reports that July's Patch Tuesday fixes a vulnerability in Microsoft Defender, CVE-2020-1461. The MS article, dated 14 July 2020 says that the problem was fixed in a definition update. I found the patched file on my system, dated 4 April 2020. The article also contains an interesting note:

4. Does this update contain any additional security-related changes to functionality?

Yes. In addition to the changes that are listed for this vulnerability, this update includes defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.

brigantes

Level 1
Jun 22, 2020
I saw multiple reports that July's Patch Tuesday fixes a vulnerability in Microsoft Defender, CVE-2020-1461. The MS article, dated 14 July 2020 says that the problem was fixed in a definition update. I found the patched file on my system, dated 4 April 2020. The article also contains an interesting note:

Microsoft's defense in depth support and features are not new. They aren't going to be mentioned for Home or even necessarily Pro versions of Windows. These features go out in marketing materials to IT Pros subscribing to various Microsoft IT Pro servvices.

The defense in depth is applied to all systems because Windows OS is shipped as a generic OS image - it contains every single feature, role and version of the current Windows branch.

The defense in depth is going to be of benefit to only Windows 10 Pro and higher editions with a connected Microsoft Defender ATP subscription along with being managed by InTune or Azure Cloud or another such enterprise management system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.